Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Anyone repaired a Stern 2x LED flash board? They are used in Indiana Jones at the ark, Cairo swordsman, and the skull. Marco has them...for $89 each. I've got three of them out. On one it looks like both of the LEDs are out, one has the LEDs lit all the time, and the third has one LED that lights dimly all the time and the other does nothing. All components except for the capacitor are surface mount, and the LEDs are crazy tiny.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5289-00
The LEDs are on the back.

#2 9 years ago

Looks like a really simple circuit, should be fairly easy to troubleshoot. Someone on here must have tacked that board...

#3 9 years ago

I have one that stays lit all the time too. I didnt find out how to repair it...
What I did was to replace both boards of te ark with 96 bulbs, and connected them in the ramp flashes. Now my IJ4 Uses only 2 of these boards

#4 9 years ago

I guess my main question is the LEDs. Everything else is a common part and nothing special. But the LEDs are incredibly tiny. I have the equipment to do SMT work: tweezers and hot air. But I'm not sure I could successfully switch out one of the LEDs. Guess I can try, I'm not going to hurt anything. But part of me thinks why bother? Looks like quite a PITA and I'm not sure I want to spend the time to mess with it.

#5 9 years ago

There is no picture of the LEDs on the Marco link so I can't comment. Are they smaller than the SMD resistors on the other side of the board?

Probably can't use hot air as components on the other side of the board will drop off if you get it too hot.

You should be able to fairly easily trouble shoot that board to see what component has failed before shotgunning the LEDs...

I you don't want to try, or can't find someone that has done it, I would be willing to see if I can figure out what failed.

#6 9 years ago

They're about the same size as the resistors. The problem is the solder pads are underneath so there's really no way to remove them unless you use hot air.

I can troubleshoot the board, no problem. The reason I'm asking about the LEDs first is because when I compare the non-working boards to the one that works, the LEDs look blown out. On the non-working boards all the LEDs have white residue around them where it looks like the magic smoke escaped.

#7 9 years ago

Yes I've repaired a number of them, and actually just threw out a bunch that were not repairable. A great example of why I hate SMT.

Tweezers and a steady hand is what you need. Might as well try to repair them before spending $90. Your best bet is to repair the one that is locked on.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Yes I've repaired a number of them

Did you replace any LEDs? Or was it other components on the front side?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-2x-led-flash-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.