Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sheldon.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago

Gottlieb's demise was selling out to a public Corporation (Columbia Puctures) that had no interest in the products or people at D. Gottlieb & Company. All they cared aboot was money.

Added over 3 years ago:

Pictures. Columbia Pictures....

1 week later
    #24 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you guys all have a rosy, unrealistic view of what any of these people thought or “cared” about pinball.
    For all of them, it was a way to feed their families and pay the bills. I doubt they had any “passion” for it beyond running a successful business.
    That goes for Gary, his dad, and all the old-timers who founded this industry. None of these guys were Willy Wonka, they were just guys who found a way to create an industry and make money.
    If guys like Sam Stern and Harry Williams could see what’s going on today I’m sure they’d be baffled and think we are all batshit crazy. I’m sure they never dreamed so many people would
    Want these things in their house.

David Gottlieb cared about his employees and the public. He used his own money to develop and open the Gottlieb Memorial Hospital to serve the West side of Chicagoland in 1961.

Bill O'Donnell, who made Bally a large corporation (the first coin-operated equipment Company to be publicly traded and listed on the NYSE) cared about his employees. He started a retirement plan for employees independent of Chicago labor union bargaining. He was known to walk on the factory floor and talk with employees, including laborers and white collar employees alike. He was known to help employees who had medical issues (but could not afford to pay for care) by having their supervisors arrange for care and have the medical bill sent directly to him and he paid it from personal funds.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-2?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.