• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by akm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• 24 Stern, 2009
#1 9 years ago

Here's a pinball gameplay video I put together the other day for Stern's 24. In it I made it to the big wizard mode, "Master Agent". Probably not going to do a commentary version of this video, so if you have any questions about the rules on this game feel free to ask.

Two videos--Top one is the main video with DMD, and the bottom one is full-screen with no DMD.

#2 9 years ago

Nice video, thanks for posting it. Hadn't seen Master Agent before.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Nice video, thanks for posting it. Hadn't seen Master Agent before.

No problem! Thanks for checking it out.

#4 9 years ago

Nice work on the video.

Few questions. You often dont go for the skill shot into the bumpers and short plunge. Is there a reason for this?

For your playing strategy it looks like you will try and get sniper started first, then hit the suitcase ramp to collect the hurry up for the sniper (and restart the hurry up) until you get suitcase multiball started. Is this so that you can then lock at least one ball up in the suitcase and continue playing both sniper and suitcase at the same time?

Do you find that you will always go for sniper, suitcase then safe house?

Do you think there is any point chasing the shots for each scene or will they just automatically accumulate in normal play during multiballs?

The 24 I play on site looks to be in a little worse shape to the one you are playing there. When the ball comes down around the left orbit it will catch the E on the CHLOE target bank and drain SDTM. The flippers are a little weak and backhand shots up the suitcase ramp never make it either.

Looks like backhand shots are the safer option. Do you find this as well?

The Master Agent mode seems a little underwhelming after all it takes to get to it. The code not finished? Kind of looks like Save The President. There arent even any animations for it.

Cheers

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from nich2pat:

Few questions. You often dont go for the skill shot into the bumpers and short plunge. Is there a reason for this?

Yes, there's a method to the madness.

First things first, the skill shot isn't worth much. Also, completing the CTU lanes isn't a very big payoff either. Even after having a monster ball the end of ball bonus is very tiny.

Second, if you short plunge and don't hit a switch, if the ball goes down the center you will get it back. This is the main reason I don't feed the ball to the upper lanes, especially after locking a ball in the suitcase (my game is set to autoplunge after a lock, and intentionally short plunging will freeze all hurry-up timers and give me the ball back if it goes SDTM).

Short plunge on a fresh ball start and you can actually use that trick to work towards your MOLE targets. Hitting them won't activate the ball saver--only major switches do (ramps, orbits, return lanes, etc).

Quoted from nich2pat:

For your playing strategy it looks like you will try and get sniper started first, then hit the suitcase ramp to collect the hurry up for the sniper (and restart the hurry up) until you get suitcase multiball started. Is this so that you can then lock at least one ball up in the suitcase and continue playing both sniper and suitcase at the same time?

My play strategy differs from game to game and depends on what the settings are at, what kind of setting I'm in (is this a competition, location or home play?). For instance, with how it's set right now and for the purpose of this video I was going for completion of my three main multiballs to get to Master Agent. As such I have the settings at default so getting to Sniper and Safe House is easier. Sniper is by far the hardest multiball to complete, so I typically go for that first then cascade the other multiballs into it (basically, extending Sniper is the goal to make the chances of completing it more likely).

For this video I probably should have prepped Suitcase first. For instance, I probably should have locked two balls first, then started Sniper multiball. From there I should have got some pop hits in while the ball saver was going (needed to light the first Jackpot on the Sniper), then as the ball saver dies out lock my third ball to cascade Suitcase Multiball into Sniper. From there I could have locked two balls into the Suitcase, and use the third ball to continue progressing at the pops to light my next Jackpot in Sniper Multiball (which I think I did in the video, I don't remember).

If I'm just playing for points, I would likely prep Suitcase, then activate the Sniper Hurry Up and leave it running while I play Suitcase Multiball. That hurry-up builds quite a bit and if I have a MOLE Multiplier (or three) on the right ramp, it's worth even more.

Quoted from nich2pat:

Do you find that you will always go for sniper, suitcase then safe house?

Generally speaking, in something like competitive play (not going for Master Agent), I would start Suitcase first. I probably wouldn't start the other multiballs either. Or if I do, I would start just one, but not all three (all three lights Save the President, which you probably don't want to be in during a competition, you won't be able to light locks again until you are out of it).

Even when not in competition play, Suitcase is the best way to go as it's the safest and generally the easiest multiball to start.

Quoted from nich2pat:

Do you think there is any point chasing the shots for each scene or will they just automatically accumulate in normal play during multiballs?

Yes! The scenes play a big part and it's good to chase them. Remember that Scene 6 is always a multiball, so this gives you a guaranteed ball saver at Scene 6 and you can use the balls to progress towards other goals (MOLE targets, Suitcase locks, etc). Completing Scene 6 on default settings typically lights an extra ball on the Sniper shot as well, important for home or location play where you're trying to extend your game as long as you can.

In regards to the scenes, the only one that is really risky to go for is Scene 2. However, what I will typically do is complete Scene 1 immediately, then use Suitcase multiball to work on Scene 2 (Safe House shots). Scene 1 and 3 can both be completed by hitting the left ramp over and over--simple. Scene 4 goes Left ramp, right ramp (which you're going to have to hit anyway for Suitcase locks), left orbit, then completion on the left ramp. Scene 5 has the left and right ramps and both orbits lit. Keep in mind completing the CHLOE targets spots you a 24 arrow, so if there's a shot that's harder to hit (like the right ramp), or if say you don't want to hit the right ramp because you're planning something out, the CHLOE targets will spot it. I actually do this once or twice in the video. It's really good to keep an eye on how far along you are with the CHLOE targets for this purpose alone.

Quoted from nich2pat:

The flippers are a little weak and backhand shots up the suitcase ramp never make it either. Looks like backhand shots are the safer option. Do you find this as well?

I find the opposite--backhands on the right ramp are nice when they work, but the shot has to be just right. It's a tight shot so it's easy to brick it, and often times the ball will go straight out the left outlane if you miss. Flippers also have to be powerful and I find after a few minutes of play the backhand becomes much more difficult to do. Forward hand is the better option, I've found.

Quoted from nich2pat:

The Master Agent mode seems a little underwhelming after all it takes to get to it. The code not finished? Kind of looks like Save The President. There arent even any animations for it.

I've only been to it twice (the second time being in this video). From my experience with it the first time, it seems cool. On my second time I was too busy flailing to figure out what was going on. It seems like the goal is to complete all the shots multiple times which fills in the inserts in the middle of the playfield, and when you do certain ones it adds a ball and activates the ball saver. I didn't do much with it in this video but in my first attempt at it there were some really interesting off-timed roving shots that I wasn't expecting and I was receiving some huge points. Overall I like the wizard mode (lots of ball save, which is always nice), I just have to play better when I get to it. Lack of an animation on the wizard mode aside it does feel finished.

#6 9 years ago

You're a legend akm! For the longest time 24 was the only game on location for me to play but I never managed to get too far. I think my top score is about 250 million. Now the same location has 13 machines to play and 24 hardly ever gets chosen for our weekly comps. I still rate it highly, and this was even before I saw your video and learnt a little bit more about the strategy used.

Will look forward to having a go on it tomorrow night at our local pinball club night. My strategy had similar aspects to the way you play. I would always try and get scene 1 out of the way (with only 3 shots to the left ramp) then go for the suitcase.

Ive never got the Sniper jackpot before and only once or twice have I got the safe house jackpot. Hope to remedy this in the future.

Cheers

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from nich2pat:

I would always try and get scene 1 out of the way (with only 3 shots to the left ramp) then go for the suitcase.

The other good thing about finishing modes is they light/relight the gun inserts. They are small points at first but if you have a decent ball and especially get some MOLE multipliers, they can become worthwhile.

Quoted from nich2pat:

Ive never got the Sniper jackpot before and only once or twice have I got the safe house jackpot. Hope to remedy this in the future.

With more play you should be able to complete Safe House much more often. Just remember it's 8 drops or so to knock down when you first start the multiball, then one shot to the house for the Jackpot, then you get a chance at the left ramp to add-a-ball and get a ball saver. That's one of the keys in these multiballs, you typically have enough initial ball save time to complete the first phase (Sniper aside, it's a lot more work), then you get a chance to breath again when you collect the Super, which kicks another ball out and gives you ball saver once again for a bit.

Sniper definitely requires planning and don't feel bad if it takes you a while to get it. I think it took me at least a month to do it after owning the machine. A big part of it though is being disciplined and sticking to a game plan. If you get distracted and go for other things even though you're in the Sniper multiball, you probably aren't going to successfully complete it. It requires so many pop hits for instance you really have to approach it methodically.

5 months later
#8 9 years ago

Great video, I have been watching it to help with rule set and advancing in the game. This game is awesome and really under-rated. I like the wide open playfield with ramps at very top. I also dig the machine gun sounds with the bumpers. I switched my flipper rubbers out with super-bands and it seems to really help with control. I am finding that I am doing more bump passes on this title and have learned to back-hand the sniper shot. I am turning into a Ritchie fanboy. Great video-thanks for posting, now I am obsessed with trying to get to master agent.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Great video, I have been watching it to help with rule set and advancing in the game. This game is awesome and really under-rated. I like the wide open playfield with ramps at very top. I also dig the machine gun sounds with the bumpers. I switched my flipper rubbers out with super-bands and it seems to really help with control. I am finding that I am doing more bump passes on this title and have learned to back-hand the sniper shot. I am turning into a Ritchie fanboy. Great video-thanks for posting, now I am obsessed with trying to get to master agent.

Awesome, I'm glad the video was able to help! I feel the game is underrated as well and it's one I'd eventually like to own again when I have space for more than a handful of titles in my collection at a time.

#10 9 years ago

This game is awesome.
There is so much to love . . . droptargets , suitcase , Sniper , safehouse.
Ill like the sound and effects alot , Chloe voice not that much . . .
Very challenging game and very very underrated !!

1 month later
#11 8 years ago

Great video! It's a fun pin for sure, with a lot of cool shots.

#12 8 years ago

Great job!

I miss mine.

It's crazy that this game was Steve Ritchie & Lyman Sheats's warm-up before doing AC/DC!

#13 8 years ago

Glad to see folks keep stumbling upon this video and are enjoying it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anniston, AL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-24-pinball-gameplay-video-master-agent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.