SP 59 (resized).jpg
SP 58 (resized).jpg
SP 57 (resized).jpg
SP 56 (resized).jpg
SP 55 (resized).jpg
SP 54 (resized).jpg
SP 53 (resized).jpg
SP 52 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 6 years ago

The playfield does not look all that bad. The shooter lane's particularly decent. If you did not have the HSA clear coated one, a good cleanup and polish could probably have done the trick.

Are you redoing the cabinet?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Got a few more items removed last night. Removed the shooter rod assembly, subwoofer, transformer, tilt assembly, flipper buttons, and power brick with on/off switch.
Since this is my first restore I would like to reach out to the community for suggestions on removing the wiring harness. Let me know your thoughts on this.... I purchased some of the paper tags that have strings. I tied and labeled them to a few wires that I removed already for the subwoofer, tilt, left and right flipper cabinet leaf switches ect. Is this a good way to label all the wiring to make it easy for reassembly on the new playfield? I do have a color printed manual so if something were to happen to a tag I could always reference back, but I have found in the past that the manual and wire colors are not always accurate.
More to come soon!

Personally, I take tons of pictures and use the manual when needed. I have never had a problem. The harnesses are really hard to mix up because of the keying and the colors. I found cleaning them up to be a real pain. Also, they retain a certain amount of their original shape. This is partly a good thing because it helps figure out where switches and lamp sockets go, but because I'm never able to put it back in the exact same original place, it requires a bit of refitting.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

I have been taking pictures as I go. I had not taken many of the harness yet. I was tracing the wiring for the inserts and it looked to me that a lot of the wiring tracers are the same color. It is good to know that the harness will retain some of its original shape. If I can get stuff close to where it goes then I should be good when reassembling. LOL.
Thank you for your input!

On the LOTR I just did, I notice the exact same thing. The inserts sockets are the same and the coloring is very close. So I ended up mixing up a couple. But that's a trivial fix. I found 2000's Sterns easier to work on than 1990's Ballys.

#43 6 years ago

Are you doing a full cabinet restoration with decals?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

New ramps were already purchased.

I recommend switching to stainless flaps or at least protecting the blue steel flaps with some wax.
After a very wet winter in California the Venom flap was all pitted with rust.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

I have purchased all brand new ramps for this project. Do the replacement ramps come with stainless flaps? If they are the regular blue steel then I will definitely do what you suggested! Thank you for the knowledge tip!

They likely come with the original blue steel. Wax might do the trick though it'd be nice to have other more durable options. I got my flap chrome plated but it's too thick and affects the game play - air balls, deflections, missed shots. The Venom ramps is hard enough to hit as it is so I ordered a stainless flap.

#54 6 years ago

A rotisserie wouldn't hurt.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Got one you want to loan me?

Absolutely but you pay shipping or I ship it free in exchange for your old playfield.

You might be able to find someone local who can lend you one too.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Stern really did not want the GI for the lane guides to come out. They had a total of 6 staples in this area! Two of them were on each tab of the lamp socket which were soldered in with the wire! Those were a little tough to remove and took a bit of time to do. Very interesting to see how they did that.

A bit intimidating at first but not too hard to deal with. Putting the whole thing back together is easy with a staple gun. Particularly a long nose one. See for instance https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh#post-3209959.

Quoted from Redknight87:

Another new thing I noticed were these nail in type studs. These were used toward the back of the playfield. I have never come across before. I am curious if I will be able to remove these without damaging them, or if it would be best to just purchase new ones. I was thinking I could use a pick and a hammer with light force to remove them.

You should be able to get them out without damage. Gently tap them from the top with some protection around so you don't mistakenly end up messing up the top of the playfield. Once the bottom head separate a bit you probably can use some pliers to pull them out completely. Putting them back on a new clear coated playfield you'll need to be very careful. Probably want to re-pre-drill the hole on top so the clear don't pop out.

Quoted from Redknight87:

I purchased a can of liquid paint stripper that I will be using possibly next weekend to completely strip the cabinet.

That's me but I'd stay away from the strippers (no pun intended!) and sand. You'll need to sand anyway to get a smooth surface.
I'd use a random orbital sander with a rough grit (80 or so) to get the most of out it and then switch to something finer. the cabinet is silk screened and there is no glue or vinyl involved so this should be quite straightforward. Sanding can be a pain (it clogs the sandpaper) when there is glue and vinyl but not here.

#62 6 years ago

On the stickers take some detailed pictures of every single one. You can try steam. It may help detach them but they'll wrinkle. Worst case you can reprint them on brand new yellow paper.

On the rotisserie, I strongly recommend putting one together for the playfield repopulation. It takes 1 hour, probably cost $100 tops and saves you tons of time.
There is stuff that's just so much easier with the playfield out of the cabinet. Not to mention getting the playfield up and down in the brand new cabinet increases dramatically the risk of scratching the brand new sides of the cabinet.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

FYI, mine was less than $200 (not sure where LB1 got his pipe)

I can't remember exactly how much I paid and it might have been closer to $200.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Out of curiosity more than anything why sand instead of using a stripping agent? I have an orbital sander that I can use instead and return the liquid paint stripper.
There are areas of the cabinet that need to be filled and sanded smooth. After getting all the paint off the cabinet what is your suggestion on the type of filler to use? I have some Elmers wood filler left from another project would that be sufficient?
After the cab has been filled in the areas that need attention what is your recommendation on grit #? I was told that if I get the cabinet too smooth I would have trouble getting the decals to adhere properly (Don't know if that is true or not). I believe I purchased 120 and 220 grit last weekend. I still have the receipt if I need to exchange them.

You can try both methods on the head and see how they compare. With the stripping agent, unless you use something super strong, you have to wait then clean up and then sand anyway. I'd actually be curious to see both methods side-by-side on the same game.

I've used Bondo and one problem is that it cures VERY hard. So if you don't sand soon, it ends up much harder than the surrounding wood which can be an issue with sanding something that's a bit thick. Except for that that's the way to go.

The smoother the surface the better the decal adhesion. It's the opposite of what you need for paint, clear or filler adhesion, where you need tooth for good adhesion. You'll need to prime and paint after sanding anyway and then possibly sand the paint if it has orange peel. Rattle cans of semi-gloss paint work great. Personally, I used a roller and Rust Oleum semi-gloss for the outside then lightly sanded it.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

The attached image is the brand I purchased. I read on the box they recommend chemical gloves and a respirator. I have both.
Well I suppose I can pick up some Bondo and use that if that is what everyone uses rather than the wood filler I have. I want to use what will last the longest and be the best for this machine.

The wood filler works fine except for the edges, where you need something stronger. Since minor edge repair is usually needed, you're better off using one single product with no surprises - Bondo. I've never used fiber glass which is needed when you have more serious problems. On your game it does not look like you need it.

#73 6 years ago

SM is my all time favorite game. The sound, the flow, the shots, the multipliers... The rules aren't difficult to understand, and the wizard mode is attainable.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

HAH! I just realized that my picture never attached of the chemical paint stripper. It is now attached...

I've used this before and it's strong. There is a "after wash fluid" that helps neutralize this toxic stuff after the paint has been removed.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Good to know! I guess I will go back to Lowes this weekend and search for it.

Check this thread. Looks like the old art came right off.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-partial-restore

#87 6 years ago

Glad you went the sanding way.

On the head back panel, a few years ago when I did my TZ resto, Steve in Escalon did the silk screen for me, but he was also offering pre-cut, pre-screened replacement panels for sale. Not sure if he still does and has them for Sterns but that's another possibility.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-2007-spider-man-restore?tu=lb1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.