Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

avreceiver.PNG
    simple.PNG
    Picture_2.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 14 years ago

I'm working on a little side project to project the PF/player and DMD
    to a screen (pf) and a tv (for the DMD). I also would like to add
    audio if possible since sound gets washed out with distance and
    ambient noise. Can I just stick the mic next to one speaker (two
    speaker mono) or do the games feature true stereo sound with separate
    audio channels?

I can't think of a practical way to capture the stereo effect if it's
    the latter, except by dangling a microphone front and center of the
    speakers and that would distract the player.

#4 14 years ago

@fusion301 - I considered that route, and would definitely do it if it were a machine I owned but this will be in a tournament environment with other peoples' games so I don't have that option.

@letter k - maybe a condenser mic is the ticket with the levels tweaked. It will be a high ambient noise environment but what I want is for spectators who may be positioned 20 feet from the game to still get a sense of the audio. I find that without audio pinball loses a lot of appeal. Doesn't have to be cd-quality. Likewise, the actual game speakers will hopefully contribute to the effect so the end result is palatteable.

#6 14 years ago

Just found this:

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

Looks like drbond was right!

That's good news. Makes my job much easier...

#9 14 years ago

Your mention of an article gave me the idea to google around and I found it.

Yeah, midi is pretty "old hat" these days, though it was a great format when bandwidth and storage space were still expensive, and samples came at a premium.

#12 14 years ago

Yeah, the mic on/near the one speaker should work I guess. Not sure how the set up dimensions will work but ideally, I'll just dangle a mic from the camcorder's jack as close to the speaker as possible and see how it sounds. If that picks up okay, that would be great because then I don't have to monkey with a bunch of mixing later.

I should have the whole thing ready to go and test next week. The guys at Lucky Ju Ju said I could bring it in to test, and they even have a spare 22" flat screen monitor. So my plan is to project the playfield on a wall or large screen (like 100" diagonal) and then send the display (dmd or score reels) to the flat screen.

I'll also use my little crappy bookshelf stereo as well. If it can put out okay sound, I would rather use it in the future because it's portable and I won't be sad if someone decides to walk away with it.

#13 14 years ago

hmm regarding sound, how do games regulate the volume? Like in BSD, when things get cooking the sound can crank up A LOT. Is this a soundboard function? Such as just cranking more juice to the speakers? If so it could have a multiplied effect with an amp in the mix.

I guess you could nullify it with a low level converter, but then the volume changes would be lost altogether too.

#15 14 years ago

Yeah, not a bad idea at all. I was thinking about that, and there's also things like sling boxes for video.

In my head I foresee there will be some issues here and there moving the equipment around. I did these quick sketches in paint to get an idea what a typical layout would look like.

simple.PNGsimple.PNG avreceiver.PNGavreceiver.PNG

#16 14 years ago

Well, I ran into a problem with the base - it sucks, very unstable. Once in place I'm not worried that it will fall over but I made the hitch pin holes too big so it's not really adjustable either. I might just bite the bullet and buy a christmas tree stand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stereo-or-dual-mono?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.