By MT45

1 week ago

Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by retrosys
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1EF81F7-9313-4909-89F7-0222CA828016 (resized).jpeg
20171115_223024 (resized).jpg
20171115_220408 (resized).jpg
20171115_220337 (3) (resized).jpg
20171115_220402 (resized).jpg
20171115_130138(1) (resized).jpg

#1 8 days ago

Looking for general step by step in adding a playfield protector to a new AC/DC Premium VE

#2 7 days ago

Now that its installed, I see why no response. Holy moly is that install tough. I decided against spending too many hours removing the canon, ramps, diverter, band and on and on.

I ended up cutting the protector in the areas marked. This allowed enough clearance to slip the protector over the canon using the prepunched sling holes. Up top cuts allowed me to simply slide those strips along the orbits without removing anything. On bottom, I removed slings, ball guides and flippers ... also loosened the ramps by removing the hex support on each. Only other thing was to unplug the left flasher under the PF, pull the plug to top of PF and run back down thru protector slot cut for left sling.

Took about an hour all in. Played 10+ games and no ball hangs due to cuts. Note that some cuts were made at angle. Purposefull to support ball movement.

20171115_130138(1) (resized).jpg

#3 7 days ago
Quoted from MT45:

Now that its installed, I see why no response. Holy moly is that install tough. .

Yeah I just don't think installing them is that popular.
Good write up which will help some folks out.

#4 7 days ago

I have done them on Stern Star Wars and Stern Batman66. It takes 1.5-2.5 hours but is well worth the effort. If you use the ones from Germany, MAKE SURE ALL SURFACES ARE CLEAN AND DRY. Otherwise you will get mottling like crazy.

#5 7 days ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

I have done them on Stern Star Wars and Stern Batman66. It takes 1.5-2.5 hours but is well worth the effort. If you use the ones from Germany, MAKE SURE ALL SURFACES ARE CLEAN AND DRY. Otherwise you will get mottling like crazy.

What's mottling?

#6 7 days ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

Agreed on all ... I put one on Big Betty's Truck Stop and my BM66SLE and it took about that long as well. The BM was a little more involved as I helped the guys in Germany in design of the first BM66 and had to do some tweaking.

I love these things for a ton of reasons ... keeps a virgin PF in very good shape. Dramatically cuts dimpling. Creates a very high gloss PF look.
If you ever don't like it - take it out in minutes

You can see in the images where I made some of my "cheater" cuts - no harm at all so far after maybe 30 games

20171115_220402 (resized).jpg

20171115_220337 (3) (resized).jpg

20171115_220408 (resized).jpg

#7 7 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

What's mottling?

This - mine appears to be caused by waxing the PF first - seems like the protector bonds with that wax and almost looks like water has gotten under it.
I did not wax AC/DC before adding the protector and I do not have any mottling. I have pulled the protector up on BM66 to check out the impact and there is absolutely nothing you can see or feel in the spot that "shows" when you lay the protector back down! I also did not have this issue on my BBTS (and I did NOT wax that one first either). Guessing it's the wax and also am pretty sure it's benign.

20171115_223024 (resized).jpg

#8 7 days ago
Quoted from MT45:

This - mine appears to be caused by waxing the PF first - seems like the protector bonds with that wax and almost looks like water has gotten under it.
I did not wax AC/DC before adding the protector and I do not have any mottling. I have pulled the protector up on BM66 to check out the impact and there is absolutely nothing you can see or feel in the spot that "shows" when you lay the protector back down! I also did not have this issue on my BBTS (and I did NOT wax that one first either). Guessing it's the wax and also am pretty sure it's benign.

Did you clean the playfield with anything before putting the protector down? i.e. dirty playfield under protector...

#9 6 days ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Did you clean the playfield with anything before putting the protector down? i.e. dirty playfield under protector...

No. Only thing I did was wax it

#10 6 days ago
Quoted from MT45:

No. Only thing I did was wax it

I thought waxing first causes mottling?
How long did you wait after waxing before putting down the protector?

#11 6 days ago

D1EF81F7-9313-4909-89F7-0222CA828016 (resized).jpeg

#12 4 days ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I thought waxing first causes mottling?
How long did you wait after waxing before putting down the protector?

It does, I did and it did ... mottled that is.

I did not wax my new AC/DC Premium Vault before putting down the protector and have zero mottling.

I am 99% sure the mottling on my BM66SLE is caused because I waxed first and I'm also convinced it hurts nothing ... 100% cosmetics

BTW, I probably waxed it the day it arrived and then placed the protector the next

#13 2 days ago

how many time you used for the installation with the cheating-cuts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
$ 9.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside