• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
1527808362607102180585 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I have a Williams triple action pinball that will not reset properly. The ball and the Total reset won't work the only way it will work is if I manually set it after each ball. Is there something I'm missing I've cleaned them both but didn't make I difference at all. What's wrong with them?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Tripleaction_22:

So I have a Williams triple action pinball that will not reset properly.

Hi Tripleaction_22, welcome to Pinside. The above line is how we refer to the machine that has had its credit button or money added to it, Resetting.

if I manually set it after each ball

This refers to a game/machine that has reset and is being played.

I've cleaned them both but didn't make I difference at all

Not sure what you have cleaned.

Ok, we need you to be the eyes and ears for the us, the blind ones....

Lets, start with.
1 turn of the power, then back on.
What happens?
2 Push left flipper button.
What happens
3 Push credit button (Button on the front)
what happens?

And we will take it from there.

#3 5 years ago

Well I've cleaned the ball step up unit and the other stepper unit the total reset one. Nothing happens when you turn it on till you hit the flipper button then once you hit the start button nothing happens it just sits or some times it will reset but not completely then when you get the flipper button it controls the one that shoots the ball to the plunger.

Sorry fo the bad explaining I'm 13 and this is my first em pinball. I've work on only ever full electronic pinballs and worked on tons of arcades just never Em's.

#4 5 years ago

Are the score reels resetting to zero on start up?

#5 5 years ago

Yes they are

#6 5 years ago

Did you take stepper units completely apart? check spring tension to make sure you can step them up and down manually.

There is some good videos out there for most stepper units, Also if you take a picture if yours for us to see that always helps. Do you know if the coil on the unit is fireing also?

#7 5 years ago

There is 2 coils on that stepper unit the top one is not the bottom will if you move it manually and yes I took it apart completely the springs are really messed up, stretch out and they might not be good anymore but I don't know where to get new ones at.

#8 5 years ago

I buy 99% of my stuff here. including stepper rebuild kits that are basically all the spring for that stepper.
http://www.pbresource.com

The owner is name is Steve. You don't pay anything up front he send bill with the parts and expects prompt payment.
He could help you with those parts.

Have machine info ready, and tell him your a first time buyer.

#9 5 years ago

bw

Quoted from Tripleaction_22:the springs are really messed up, stretch out and they might not be good anymore but I don't know where to get new ones at.

http://www.pbresource.com/springkit.html#bw

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

and tell him your a first time buyer.

...then duck

#11 5 years ago

LOL Don't scare the poor kid.

I have never had an issue I must be one of the lucky ones.

#12 5 years ago

So I have a Williams triple action pinball that will not reset properly. The ball and the Total reset won't work the only way it will work is if I manually set it after each ball. Is there something I'm missing I've cleaned them both but didn't make I difference at all. What's wrong with them?

It's also possible that a controlling contact point switch is dirty or barely out of adjustment. Did you try jumpering power directly to the reset coils?

#13 5 years ago
%

He's ok. As is Jimmy.

#14 5 years ago

How would I jump the rest coil?

#15 5 years ago

You could get a wire with an alligator clip on each end. make sure the clips are insulated. Find a source for the coil voltage, and apply the correct voltage to one of the coil lugs. Be extremely careful doing any kind of testing using jumpers, you could get shocked, or apply the incorrect voltage to the coil. You really should get the schematic at this point so you know what circuit and switches your dealing with.

#16 5 years ago

Well I figured out how to jump them and that top one works. Still it won't do anything when hooked but up to the regular wire. Is there a way to test the voltage coming in on these is it the same as the newer pins? Another issue I'm having is if it sounds like it's about to reset if you click a flipper button it tries to use the coil that pushing the ball up to the plunger why is it doing that?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

You really should get the schematic

IPDB has the schematic and manual. They're a little blurry but readable.
http://www.ipdb.org/files/2648/Williams_1974_Triple_Action_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
http://www.ipdb.org/files/2648/Williams_1974_Triple_Action_Instruction_Manual.pdf

Is there a way to test the voltage coming in on these is it the same as the newer pins?

It's 24 volts. See the schematic.

Another issue I'm having is if it sounds like it's about to reset if you click a flipper button it tries to use the coil that pushing the ball up to the plunger why is it doing that?

Please clarify what you're trying to say.

#18 5 years ago

Another issue I'm having is if it sounds like it's about to reset if you click a flipper button it tries to use the coil that pushing the ball up to the plunger why is it doing that?

I don't follow you 100% either, but I will tell you to go through all the normally open switches on the playfield and make sure the gap is not to close. I could be totally wrong here, but when you press the flipper button does the flipper move? if it is, the vibration maybe could cause the ball release coil to fire if it's switches are set to close. I am doing a lot of guessing right now due to not being able to see the machine.

The left flipper is not used to reset and start a game, but should turn on display lights only.

One very nice feature with these era Williams machines is the instruction manual that HowardR link you to. Go throw that book and make sure your switches match up, all the ones in the bottom of the cabinet. They tell you normally open, normally closed and or make/break. You don't need to touch these right now, but I would make notes as to what state all these switches are in. this is after turning on pin.

As you move along don't be afraid to post pics and videos to obtain more help.

#19 5 years ago

Thank you everyone for the help I figured it out ! It was just not registering in the part with gears and all the contacts on it. It just needed rebuild with all new contracts. But now I am rebuild the play field and repaint it all I'll post so pics in about 6 months. Thank you all for the help

1527808362607102180585 (resized).jpg1527808362607102180585 (resized).jpg
#20 5 years ago

Just for Info:- You know the above picture is the score motor, and NOT a stepper unit?

#21 5 years ago

I know this but there was a broken wire and that wasn't letting the stepper unit have power

#22 5 years ago

I also have a Williams Triple Action pinball machine. I have gone through the entire game. Everything is great working order except my play field lights.

Back drop lights even work. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have checked all fuses, wiring, and connectors.

#23 5 years ago

My play field lights wont work. Can anyone offer help or advice?

#24 5 years ago

Well have you tried jumping from a working light to test the socket?

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRY:

except my play field lights

Quoted from Needpinballhelp:

My play field lights wont work

Diagnose these circuits with Alligator clip jumper wires, especially the indicated switch on the Lock relay. Don't forget to test the Jones plugs to the playfield.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#26 5 years ago

Needpinballhelp and PinballRY Please start your own HELP topics and not Hijack this thread.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stepper-unit-not-working-1?hl=hd_fatboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.