DSCN4952 (resized).JPG
100 Thousand Unit cleaned (resized).jpg
100 Thousand Unit (resized).jpg
10000 unit cleaned (resized).JPG
10000 unit (resized).jpg
DSCN4936 (resized).JPG
DSCN4935 (resized).JPG
DSCN4933 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

Bruce,

What you are planning to do is a good step in keeping your steppers working optimally.

First, the credit wheel will come off now, just wriggle it a little more aggressively and it will come off.

Second, Its a good idea to undo the screws that hold the unit too the front of the lite box, this will give you more access to the unit.

The switch stacks can be unscrewed but notice there are two stacks either side of the mounting bracket. If the individual bakelite spacers are loose I put one screw back through all of them and keep it all together. I also am suspicious that the vertical switch behind the first switch stack has the been assembled correctly. Its a minor thing but the outside switch has a plated back blade that seems to be inverted in your picture.

The next step is to undo all the springs including the middle one that keeps tension on the cog wheel. I use pliers to remove the sprung arm on this one and let it uncoil about three times usually. Its easy now to remove the coil stops and the coils and all the mechanical parts can be taken to a bench for a good clean and polish. I usually put all the small parts in the tumbler for a day and the springs will clean up like new.

I get spring replacement kits from Steve at PBR and replace often it they look like they have stretched or kinked. The coil stops should be changed if the contact surface is mushroomed or looks damaged, otherwise they go back in 95% of the time. I clean the metal surfaces by degreasing in my ultrasonic or just use a metal cleaner and elbow grease.

Lastly shine up the switch blades and contacts with a dremel wire wheel. The one Nick Volta uses is good I am sure but any of the dremel brushes that the box store carries is fine.

Lastly I minimally teflon lube the metal areas that rotate against each other as I rebuild the stepper.

Takes less than an hour to disassemble and the same to put back together after cleaning.

Good for another 10 years.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Steve,
I decided to try removing the Points wheel and it came off easier but it felt sticky as I wriggled it off. This Credit wheel is stubborn, I can't quite get it free when I wiggle it back and forth. What would you use to free it up or dissolve what's sticking inside?
Thanks,
Bruce

OK,

Look at my list of things to do. lets go to the second item, unscrew the unit from the the back panel. Unassemble the electrical switches, coils and springs as I describe.

You can then take the unit to the bench and now go back to the first item. This time get a small hammer and tap out the cog wheel from the replay wheel side and the wheel will fall of in seconds.

#8 6 years ago

I'll try that after work. Should I leave the cotter pins and clips in while tapping out the cog wheel?
Also should I mark where the credit wheel is in relation to the stepper unit? I took photos for the time being showing the orientation so I can put it back on the shaft the same way.
I plan to follow your list of things to do in order. This is my first stepper disassembly/cleaning/lubing but it needs to be done and there are 5 of them to do on the board before it goes back in the backbox.
Thanks,
Bruce

No the clips come off to release the cog wheel spring. Take them all off as their purpose is to retain moving parts and you have pictures on how to put back.

Once you have done one the rest or similar and as easy.

#15 6 years ago

A fellow pinsider sent me a photo of the switch stack on his Grand Champion stepper unit and it matches mine. This seems to be the default configuration for this machine. Do you still think that plated back blade is inverted?
Bruce

That picture is fine. However here is your picture and I have highlighted what appears different. I believe the blue circled blade is probably incorrect looking at your friends picture.
switch pic (resized).JPGswitch pic (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stepper-unit-dis-assembly-questions?tu=steveintexas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.