DSCN4952 (resized).JPG
100 Thousand Unit cleaned (resized).jpg
100 Thousand Unit (resized).jpg
10000 unit cleaned (resized).JPG
10000 unit (resized).jpg
DSCN4936 (resized).JPG
DSCN4935 (resized).JPG
DSCN4933 (resized).JPG
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I decided these clean metal parts would look out of place against the dirty frame so it needs to be cleaned too.
I tried toothpaste with toothbrush, simple green and citrus degreaser but the frame still looks grimy as you can see.
Any tips? I may try Awesome or whatever that stuff is at dollar tree. There has to be a solution that will clean this grime off the zinc coating. (I want to clean around the labels so I can leave them original on the frame)[quoted image]

With most nickel plated parts I normally do an initial parts wash to clean off grime/grease then give a soak in evaporust. I find the evaporust gives a really nice original sheen on the whole part.

#52 5 years ago

I've been fighting a cold and am resting as much as I can to get well but in the meantime I wanted to share the video Pinballorama made on cleaning stepper units. You get to see the stepper unit being disassembled and cleaned.

#53 5 years ago

I have mineral spirits and also have fine steel wool which I was planning to use to smooth the posts and where metal rubs against metal. Will try both tonight.

Clay's guide recommends NOT using steel wool ...

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

Do NOT use steel wool for anything in an EM game, especially a stepper unit! (Those little steel wool "hairs" like to hang around and later catch on fire.)

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Clay's guide recommends NOT using steel wool ...

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

Do NOT use steel wool for anything in an EM game, especially a stepper unit! (Those little steel wool "hairs" like to hang around and later catch on fire.)

I'd forgotten about that after reading Clay's guide! Thanks for the reminder.

This is an important warning: NO steel wool for anything in an EM game, especially a stepper unit. The little steel wool "hairs" like to hang around and catch on fire.

1 week later
#55 5 years ago

Hi—this is the first time I’ve seen this site. I currently own a Williams SHORTSTOP pin. I saw Steveintexas’ pictures of his restoration and wanted to pass on my admiration for all he did. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, please kindly let me know. My normal email is [email protected].
Thanks a lot,
Glenn

#56 5 years ago

Hi @mrvoiceover , welcome to pinside!

You can send a private message to @steveintexas here
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/steveintexas/contact

#57 5 years ago

HowardR——Thank you so much.

1 week later
#58 5 years ago

Replay Stepper Unit reassembly:

The weather warmed up to where I was able to clean the frame with naphtha out in the shed that has better ventilation.

MarkG Thanks for the tip. I can see some uses for mineral spirits.

wayner I'm happy with how this stepper is coming after using naphtha and the ultrasonic cleaner.

The cog gear wheel is back in the frame with a little teflon lube and it spins easily. Tomorrow the other parts go back together and I'm using the photos in this thread as a guide.

#59 5 years ago

Replay unit back together.

Billc479 You're right about the shoulder bolts. It felt like I could easily strip the threads when I was threading the nuts, especially while tightening them. For the next stepper units on these games, I'll just leave them screwed in and clean around them unless they're really bad.

Naphtha and ultrasonic worked well for cleaning and I used a light coating of teflon lube where it's metal against metal.

Someone took the coil, coil stop and linkage from this game in the past. I used the replay unit on the other game as a guide for assembling the two arm linkages. I also have a new coil and coil stop from PBR ready to use with it.

The Replay Stepper Unit is done. Next is the Points Stepper Unit which is similar to the relay unit in that it increments and decrements.

Reassembled (resized).JPGReassembled (resized).JPG
#60 5 years ago

Pictures to help me remember how the Point unit goes back together. That coil sprang apart like a jack in the box lol. I ordered a replacement from PBR.

I left the shoulder bolts and switch stack alone this time. I plan to clean the shoulder bolts and other parts with naphtha then lube and reassemble.

DSCN4929 (resized).JPGDSCN4929 (resized).JPGDSCN4933 (resized).JPGDSCN4933 (resized).JPGDSCN4935 (resized).JPGDSCN4935 (resized).JPGDSCN4936 (resized).JPGDSCN4936 (resized).JPG
#61 5 years ago

Two down. Three more to go. 10,000 Stepper Unit is next.

#62 5 years ago

It's getting easier after doing the second stepper. I'm seeing how they're supposed to go together and caught one small spring I'd hooked up wrong on the Replay unit.

#63 5 years ago

10,000 Unit done. Doing the Replay Score Unit now.

I'll post pictures after finishing the steppers. I only had to take a couple pictures of the 10,000 unit.

#64 5 years ago

So far so good. The 100,000 Stepper Unit (last one) parts are being cleaned and lubed and it's a big one! Will post photo of it soon.

I'm taking a picture of the assembled unit first. Then a picture of the disassembled parts in in separate groups. This makes it easier for me to put it all back together.

This Ultrasonic cleaner is by far the best way to clean that I know of. It cleans deep where you can't reach.

Naphtha is great for cleaning the steppers and parts before lubing.

#65 5 years ago

Five stepper units done. I'm getting the mechanical panel ready to put in the backbox.

Thanks to

zacaj
SteveinTexas
pinheadpierre
way2wyrd
Briehl
Billc479
spinal
phil-lee
MarkG
wayner
chas10e

for all your help and support with this endeavor. I put off doing this as soon as I found out the other game was available last spring so I can use the second game as a guide for disassembly/reassembly. I didn't have the confidence to do this otherwise.

I hope this helps others doing this for the first time.

Pictures of the rest of the steppers while I was working on them.

10000 unit (resized).jpg10000 unit (resized).jpg10000 unit cleaned (resized).JPG10000 unit cleaned (resized).JPG100 Thousand Unit (resized).jpg100 Thousand Unit (resized).jpg100 Thousand Unit cleaned (resized).jpg100 Thousand Unit cleaned (resized).jpgDSCN4952 (resized).JPGDSCN4952 (resized).JPG
#67 5 years ago

Thank you. I'll post a picture of the board with all the steppers back on it after I replace the three burnt out coils with new ones from PBR.

5 months later
#68 4 years ago

Going to clean out my Big Deal (1977) Player stepper tomorrow. Thanks for the videos.

1 week later
#69 4 years ago

Here is a photo of the cleaned and lubricated steppers as promised. I just need to solder the new knocker coil in and it looks like I'll need to replace two other burned coils.

It's actually easy to disassemble these steppers. The only scary part is forgetting where the springs, screws, etc go when you put them back together.

IMG_20190922_150847730 (resized).jpgIMG_20190922_150847730 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#70 4 years ago

Hello I'm working on a Williams Dealers Choice, this is my first em machine. Where is the best place to get stepper parts like springs and bushings and Jesus clips ?

9 months later
#72 3 years ago

I found broken blades on one switch stack and blades too long on another switch stack. I'll need to order the parts from PBR and rebuild the switch stacks.

Will post pictures here when I start rebuilding the switch stacks..

#73 3 years ago

I found broken blades on one switch stack and blades too long on another switch stack. I'll need to order the parts from PBR and rebuild the switch stacks.

Will post pictures here when I start rebuilding the switch stacks..

I changed my mind about posting progress updates on the switches. Switches aren't isolated to stepper units.

#74 3 years ago

I started this thread 3 years ago when I was doing this for the first time and couldn't have done it without the help here. Since then I've realized you learn a LOT when you go through 10 different stepper units over and over again.

I'm disassembling and reassembling them without taking pictures and could probably almost do it blindfolded now. I've learned the most common parts to the these units and what to keep an eye out for. Will start sharing what I've learned in this thread.

1 week later
#75 3 years ago

I shortened the topic which I think is better.

The 100,000 stepper unit is the biggest stepper on this game and has 2 coils.

One coil steps 100k points at a time. The other coil resets the score to 0.

The post on top of the gear opens the switch that stops the scoring at 6,990,000 points. The small round post sticking out bottom of the gear makes hits a metal part of the frame, making sure the score is reset to zero when a new game is started.

Arrows showing the post (not attached to gear), the hole (where post will be fastened), the switch that opens at 6,990,000 and the round post embedded in the gear.

100k stepper unit (resized).jpg100k stepper unit (resized).jpg
#76 3 years ago

I shortened the topic which I think is better.

The 100,000 stepper unit is the biggest stepper on this game and has 2 coils.

One coil steps 100k points at a time. The other coil resets the score to 0.

The post on top of the gear opens the switch that stops the scoring at 6,990,000 points. The small round post sticking out bottom of the gear makes hits a metal part of the frame, making sure the score is reset to zero when a new game is started.

Arrows showing the post (not attached to gear), the hole (where post will be fastened), the switch that opens at 6,990,000 and the round post embedded in the gear.

I'm not sure I see a question in there? If you are wondering how to the the plastic dowel pin back in, I would suggest sticking it in the hole and touching it briefly with a solder iron, or eve just peen it over with a punch.

Other, more secure upgrades might be to put a machine screw in the hole cinch it up with a nut, then shrink tube the screw.

Or, but a very small shoulder bolt in the hole and secure it with a nut.

or rig up one of the bad boys shown below:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I'm not sure I see a question in there? If you are wondering how to the the plastic dowel pin back in, I would suggest sticking it in the hole and touching it briefly with a solder iron, or eve just peen it over with a punch.

Other, more secure upgrades might be to put a machine screw in the hole cinch it up with a nut, then shrink tube the screw.

Or, but a very small shoulder bolt in the hole and secure it with a nut.

or rig up one of the bad boys shown below:

It wasn't meant to be a question but your suggestions are great. I was thinking of using JBWeld or 2 part epoxy but I can probably use a bit of solder to reattach the post.

#78 3 years ago

Kinda looks like that post is able to fit in those other holes, perhaps changing the scoring limits ?

Solder may be better to enable future re-positioning than a 2 part epoxy.

It'd be interesting to see the placard underneath the advance gear pawl. ... "Tap swi ... Zero to ..."

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Kinda looks like that post is able to fit in those other holes, perhaps changing the scoring limits ?

Solder may be better to enable future re-positioning than a 2 part epoxy.

It'd be interesting to see the placard underneath the advance gear pawl. ... "Tap swi ... Zero to ..."

The other holes are too small and the post on the other 100k stepper unit is in the same hole as this one.

I was thinking of using a little solder too.

Funny you should say that. I'd recently removed the relay arms and moved the switches to take photos of the labels so I can use them as a reference for future use.

126466479_771950436724534_3069715931839645255_n (resized).jpg126466479_771950436724534_3069715931839645255_n (resized).jpg
#80 3 years ago

I see this part on all of my stepper units.

Make sure the switch stack is aligned correctly and switch blades aren't broken when you tighten the screws.

Stepper wrong (resized).jpgStepper wrong (resized).jpgStepper yes (resized).jpgStepper yes (resized).jpgStepper broken (resized).jpgStepper broken (resized).jpg
#81 3 years ago

I guess I've learned pretty much everything about these steppers from the 1953 Grand Champion. They're very simple.

Coming up. Five stepper units to clean and lubricate on my new project. A 1965 Gottlieb Bank A Ball.

127242672_173607067691267_7228944712155792511_n (resized).jpg127242672_173607067691267_7228944712155792511_n (resized).jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stepper-unit-dis-assembly-questions/page/2?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.