50 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 50 days ago

Still being somewhat of a newbie, have a situation that has come up a number of times. Have taken various stepper units apart on different machines, then cleaned all the gunk out, and NOT added any lube. Most of the time the stepper works fine, and the coil spring always seems to work well at the proper tension. But in a few cases, the stepper still didn't work properly and usually because it seemed the smaller tension springs just weren't strong enough, even though the unit was completely clean and otherwise moved freely.

In these cases, is it just old springs that have lost some pulling power? Is shortening the spring, which I have done a few times, criminal behavior? Should the springs be replaced with new? Or is it something I am missing in diagnosing the problem?

#2 50 days ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Still being somewhat of a newbie, have a situation that has come up a number of times. Have taken various stepper units apart on different machines, then cleaned all the gunk out, and NOT added any lube. Most of the time the stepper works fine, and the coil spring always seems to work well at the proper tension. But in a few cases, the stepper still didn't work properly and usually because it seemed the smaller tension springs just weren't strong enough, even though the unit was completely clean and otherwise moved freely.
    In these cases, is it just old springs that have lost some pulling power? Is shortening the spring, which I have done a few times, criminal behavior? Should the springs be replaced with new? Or is it something I am missing in diagnosing the problem?

Something to consider is whether the correct spring is installed. You never know who has previously had their grimy hands on these old machines and they may have put in whatever random spring they felt like. I noticed this once, I ordered the correct part number spring (these are cheap) according to the manual then when I compared the new one with what was on the machine they were not the same.

#3 50 days ago

PBR sells replacement spring kits.
    http://www.pbresource.com/springkit.html

#4 50 days ago

Thanks both for the info. Will check PBR's kits.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 12.75
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    $ 0.35
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside