• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0742_LI (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Is this something I should adjust? The contact points could be better. The only issue I'm dealing with is that sometimes when playing a game it will stay on the same player for an extra ball. It doesn't happen very often.

IMG_0742_LI (resized).jpgIMG_0742_LI (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I would to try and center the wipers on the stepper contacts. Make sure you mark the starting position on the stepper and then Bakelite that holds the wipers before any adjustment is made.

Alberto

#3 2 years ago

Loosen those three screws (just a little but) on the right that hold the triangular plate, that will let you adjust the position precisely, then retighten. I would scrub the contacts with one of those fibrous scrubber pads too.

#4 2 years ago

To add, yes clean those contacts and bottom of the ‘shoes.’ I use 90% Alcohol and a green Scotchbrite pad. On the bottom of the shoes I use a Flexstone file. Make sure the shoes move freely within the springs.
It looks like there are possibly grooves worn in the contacts, is that the case? If so they can be filled with solder(CAREFULLY)and then filed smooth.

#5 2 years ago

What game??? Your problem may not be the stepper unit.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

To add, yes clean those contacts and bottom of the ‘shoes.’ I use 90% Alcohol and a green Scotchbrite pad. On the bottom of the shoes I use a Flexstone file. Make sure the shoes move freely within the springs. I use a tiny drop of oil on a contact and work the unit up and down to spread.
It looks like there are possibly grooves worn in the contacts, is that the case? If so they can be filled with solder(CAREFULLY)and then filed smooth.

#7 2 years ago

ockquote cite="#6273184">What game??? Your problem may not be the stepper unit.

Gottlieb Big Brave. The stepper has been adjusted. Still have the intermittent problem of staying on the same ball. I'm guessing maybe a switch is too close and sticking occasionally. I haven't noticed a pattern when this happens.

#8 2 years ago

When it serves the 'free' ball to the shooter, do the playfield features still reset as normal? If they don't it might just be the runway switch is dirty or overgapped. It's the switch the ball rolls over between the outhole and the shooter, switch is under the playfield.

#9 2 years ago

To add, yes clean those contacts and bottom of the ‘shoes.’ I use 90% Alcohol and a green Scotchbrite pad. On the bottom of the shoes I use a Flexstone file. Make sure the shoes move freely within the springs.

I don't have a flexstone. Would 600 grit sand paper work? Can this be done without taking anything apart? There are grooves, but not bad. I think I'll wait to fill them if they get worse. I need to practice soldering.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When it serves the 'free' ball to the shooter, do the playfield features still reset as normal? If they don't it might just be the runway switch is dirty or overgapped. It's the switch the ball rolls over between the outhole and the shooter, switch is under the playfield.

The drop targets reset. Everything else stays lit. If special is on, it stays on, same with the BIG letters. I will check the runway switch.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Snaggerbob:

The drop targets reset. Everything else stays lit. If special is on, it stays on, same with the BIG letters. I will check the runway switch.

Must be something else then, drop targets wouldn't reset if the runway switch hadn't closed.

#12 2 years ago

Check/clean the 'add player unit' relay in the cabinet for starters. It controls the drop targets reset, player/ball advance and the relay bank reset (playfield features), two of which are not happening sometimes in your case. It doesn't do them all at the exact same time so the relay could be dropping out early and is only resetting the targets. If cleaning/adjusting doesn't help you can keep manually closing the runway switch and eyeballing the relay to see if it ever drops out. If it's dropping out it could be its own locking switch or its hold switch on the score motor.

#13 2 years ago

I just played a game. It stayed on ball one and awarded 500 points after the ball drained. The "B" was The only thing that I rolled through. I did try to adjust the runway switch, I closed it some. The score motor would not reset or stop. I adjusted back to the way it was and it stopped.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Snaggerbob:

I don't have a flexstone. Would 600 grit sand paper work? Can this be done without taking anything apart? There are grooves, but not bad. I think I'll wait to fill them if they get worse. I need to practice soldering.

Yes, fine sandpaper. Just slide the sandpaper under the shoe and put a little pressure on it and slide back and forth.
Do you notice if per chance the shoes are getting stuck in the groove not letting it move?

#15 2 years ago

Does the Add Player Unit relay (P) lock on when the ball rolls over the Trough switch?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Add Player Unit relay (P) lock on when the ball rolls over the Trough switch?
[quoted image]

The P and the O lock on when I manually pushed the switch. Then they released. Is this correct?

#17 2 years ago

Yes, fine sandpaper. Just slide the sandpaper under the shoe and put a little pressure on it and slide back and forth.
Do you notice if per chance the shoes are getting stuck in the groove not letting it move?

I sanded the shoes. They don't seem to be hanging up. Scotchbrited the pads. It looks pretty good.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Snaggerbob:

The P and the O lock on when I manually pushed the switch. Then they released. Is this correct?

Yes but you didn't answer the question.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Yes but you didn't answer the question.

Not sure what you mean. I lifted the playfield, pushed the Trough switch and watched the P relay lock.

#20 2 years ago

See note above about the player unit relay switches and the relay possibly dropping out, since when the problem occurs, the targets reset but the player unit didn't advance nor did the relay bank reset.

#21 2 years ago

I'm not claiming victory yet but I've played about 30 games with no issues giving a free ball and extra points. I took a business card and snipped off a piece and cleaned the Add Player relay. One off the normally closed switches appeared to maybe not opening enough. I didn't adjust anything but running the card through possibly did the trick. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This can be very daunting to a novice.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

Check/clean the 'add player unit' relay in the cabinet for starters. It controls the drop targets reset, player/ball advance and the relay bank reset (playfield features), two of which are not happening sometimes in your case. It doesn't do them all at the exact same time so the relay could be dropping out early and is only resetting the targets. If cleaning/adjusting doesn't help you can keep manually closing the runway switch and eyeballing the relay to see if it ever drops out. If it's dropping out it could be its own locking switch or its hold switch on the score motor.

Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

#22 2 years ago

I also am claiming victory on the VariTarget. I backed the spring off a bit. I finally pegged it for 5000 points and 5 bonus advances. It resets a little slower but that's okay. The only issue I've has today is the ball got stuck in the trough once. This is addicting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stepper-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.