2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by redrock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    WASW0920 (resized).JPG
    50 Step Unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redrock.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have rebuilt many of these "(NEW) Resetting Step Units" without any issues. But now I can't understand what is happening with my Williams Jive Time Bonus Unit (C-6494). (There also is a similar Ball Count Unit on the same machine which hasn't helped in solving the problem.)

The Ratchet Ass'y is binding and not rotating freely; as in the reset function where the coil spring should provide tension to return the assembly to zero. The wipe fingers part on the front is removed; all three parts that touch the teeth are removed; nothing is left but the Ratchet and the coil spring. With the spring removed the assembly moves freely. But as the coil spring is tightened, the Ratchet assembly tightens up too; even five rotations don't help. And then with the pressure of the wipes it's hopeless.

I have sanded the shaft and used contact grease on the shaft but no change. Testing with the Ball Count Unit and moving all three parts that bite into the gears with my figures allow the assembly to move to zero FAST -- as it should do.

What could be wrong? Has anybody seen this issue?

Thanks, Eddie

50 Step Unit (resized).jpg50 Step Unit (resized).jpgWASW0920 (resized).JPGWASW0920 (resized).JPG
    #5 2 years ago

As luck would have it I purchased a very rough 1967 Williams Touchdown last week; lots of rust and cabinet striped of original paint with a new coat of white paint. But it was cheap and has the up/down step unit. So I will, as time permits, do the swap -- one part at a time -- and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion and I will post when done.

#6 2 years ago

Changed some parts but had the same results. On careful examination of the three parts that engage the gears I noticed they were a little out of sync. The arm that moves with the coil plunger was not moving enough to align the top brass push and stop part, and the other two parts below it that also engage the gears had too little gap. That's because the screw adjustment was not turned up properly!

As usual my fault. But thanks for making me look at places that I miss. I'm glade to be part of Pinside as I continue to buy more and more pinball machines!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redrock.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/step-unit-ratchet-binding?tu=redrock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.