Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canoin23032020 008 (resized).JPG
20160103_211649_(resized).jpg
20160101_110304_(resized).jpg
20160101_110228_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ok gang, I have 2 Buckaroo's and 2 Cowpoke to paint..... I want to make up a reusable stencil.

Anybody have any experience with a Home Depot product called hardboard? comes in 2' by 4' by 1/8th inch sheets.

I just did a quick test using this material as a paint and it seems to work pretty well. See the pic below, the darker blue was the fresh line I just painted on a stripped Buckaroo, the edge is very similar to the factory blue edge. If its acceptable I will cut vertical lines in one piece, horizontal lines in another piece (router) and then red 2" circles in a third piece.

Boilerman, painted a Buckaroo?

Comments?

20160101_110228_(resized).jpg20160101_110228_(resized).jpg
20160101_110304_(resized).jpg20160101_110304_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

ken I have painted 4 buckaroos and 5 K&Q
gottlieb used an extra stencil also
1-vertical line, 1- horz line and one circle or square
I never reuse stencils but if I was going to do more than one of the same I would try.
I never used that stuff, others have used thicker poster board again I never used it.
if I was doing it I would use a thick version of what I currently use
I use .005 grafix but would spend the cash on either .007 or even .010
https://www.misterart.com/architecture-drafting/drafting/films/film-rolls/grafix-clear-lay-plastic-film.html
not sure what the difference in price would be. cutting the stuff you referenced or poster board is much harder then the grafix
and I am all about easy, don't want to work more than I have to.

let me know a total for the arch plate when you can..

#3 8 years ago

I have a buckaroo that has an ugly alternative paint job. I was waiting for a stencil kit to come available as I can't use my game for one.

Boilerman, interested in doing another one?

#4 8 years ago

Is there a masking product that does not remove paint? Cowpoke can be done with tape since it's basically checkerboard squares. I will check out the Home Depot stuff, if in stock, I hate ordering stuff from pictures on the Internet. What color is that blue, is it true blue, navy, or Royal?

I discovered something this weekend for touch ups. I am always trying to match the faded white and it's either too white, too yellow, or just not right. I mixed in a little FLESH with antique white and I liked the results. It's also known as Caucasion Whte for people with racial hang ups.

The other Dilemma I have is the original paint is all there, needs touch up, not sure of the value of the Cowpoke repainted vs. original touched up. I am looking to restore this spare game for pure profile,, since I have a pristine example already. I know the argument that original is original,, but to prospective buyers, a newly painted cabinet might represent a more applealing product.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Is there a masking product that does not remove paint?

I have had success with Mylar stencils stuck with re positioning spray (Kylon, 3M, Michael's version) frisket, painters tape etc as long as I wait one day after painting before applying again for next paint color. I remove the stencil tape etc about 10/ 15 mins after spraying as the paint is usually touch dry. Its not the tape but the time between coats for my experience.

I like the off white idea.

As these games get older the paint is not getting better. I have become very comfortable in repainting cabs as a norm if they are too scruffy. If painted well like Ken and Dave do, I would prefer to buy than non painted. But that's me.

Happy New Year

#6 8 years ago

I have been using Oramask up untill recently, this gives good results but tends to leve an edge ridge. I am now using oil board, a very rigid paper for stenciling.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/oil-board/

I made a set of stencils for KoD/DiaJack and used them for 4 games and dont see why I cant use them again. do need to sand them to remove the excess paint build up.

So ive already cut vert and horizontal stencils out of oil board, will use the hardboard as a weight to keep stencils flat. Will had cut a bunch of squares in more oil board for Buckaroo, a buddy of mine will use his forester bit to cut me a pattern of circles for Ks&Qs.

I do like original as well but when they've been overpainted... no choice.

#7 8 years ago

And Boilerman had a name that cab in another thread, here's my version

20160103_211649_(resized).jpg20160103_211649_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

King of Central Park

or maybe Central Park Diamonds?

or how about Diamond Park?

Aw heck, I'll name it "Alice".

#9 8 years ago

Haha, pretty good Dirt. Needed a doner cab for my own Kings&Qs repaint and stencil test. Face and bottom board were from a KoD, rest is from a CentralPark. The Central Park bottom board/face was really pretty bad from a family of rats that lived in it for a year...
Had to drill a hole for the ball lifter rod... All I need now is some corner brace material...

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

that is why i will pick up a parts machine from time to time just for a good spare cab.
i have 2 manual ball lift and 1 reg cab sanded and sealed ready to step up when needed, 3 heads also but the metal channel type.
i helped another pin guy out and gave him my wood channel wedgehead a few month ago.

rebuilding cabinets is a lot of work, sometimes it just has to be done but just swapping it out with a good one quick is so easy.

4 years later
#11 3 years ago

Bookmarking this thread, Have two Fast/Quick Draws to do. Anyone make a reusable stencil set per chance???

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Bookmarking this thread, Have two Fast/Quick Draws to do. Anyone make a reusable stencil set per chance???

not hard to do it yourself. tracing paper... and then I like using oil board as the reusable material. Have KoD stencils Ive used 6-7 times. Lay on the tracing paper and cut out.

https://www.uline.com/BL_2652/Oil-Boards

Boilerman uses acrylic sheets as his substrate. to each his own

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Done quite a few-always use 7mm mdf works great after taking a trace, transferring to mdf and then using a jigsaw for cutting out the mdf. This is a set from a recent Bally Aladdins Castle restore.

canoin23032020 008 (resized).JPGcanoin23032020 008 (resized).JPG

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Done quite a few-always use 7mm mdf works great after taking a trace, transferring to mdf and then using a jigsaw for cutting out the mdf. This is a set from a recent Bally Aladdins Castle restore.
[quoted image]

You had me excited for a minute. That’s Not Fast Draw . I ordered some oil board and plastic material, going to experiment. I need a wood shop though. No jigsaw here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.