8 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 days ago

Hi Fellas

When using stencils (pinball pimp) how long is usual and customary to allow the different layers of paint dry so that the next stencil going down does not lift off the most recent paint color. 70 degrees. Normal indoor humidity. Just don’t want to trick anything up. Going to well right now. Thank you for your insight

#2 8 days ago

There are actually many threads on this subject from several that have great amounts of experience doing many. For me, I pull them off within 15 minutes of application or it tends to pull.

#3 7 days ago

May depend on the type of paint you use. I got in the habit of waiting a week to be certain.

#4 7 days ago

When I redid Flash Gordon. I pulled them off within 10-15 mins. I waited 4-5 days in between coats just to be safe and I let the cabinet sit for 2 weeks once the cabinet was done. Be careful when removing the stencils. The one mistake I made was accidentally touching a piece of the stencil I had already peeled to the fresh paint. Take your time when peeling the stencil. Here is a link to a video I made showing my FG restore. The decals can be seen starting around the 30 sec mark.

#5 7 days ago

I painted EM’s making my own stencils. I waited 24 hours between colors. Your climate reads good. Enjoy!

#6 7 days ago

Thank you fellas. I think to be safe I’ll wait a week. No point in rushing and screwing up the good I have already done. Thanks again

#7 6 days ago

I usually wait 2 to 3 days after painting colors

#8 5 days ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

I usually wait 2 to 3 days after painting colors

Many thanks.

#9 5 days ago

I waited about 15-20 minutes to remove the stencil. The edges came out perfect & crisp. But this method can be tricky in areas with lots of detail as the stencil can drag in the wet/soft paint if you aren’t careful.

#10 5 days ago

I pull the stencil after waiting 10 minutes.
    Then I wait 48 hours before the next stencil goes down.
    But to speed things up; after 24 hours, I'll do the stencil on another side of the cabinet. (The previous stenciled side is still curing.) I just make sure that it has been at least two days before I put down the second stencil on a given side.

#11 5 days ago

Thank you enaud. Project is going smoothly. Name of the game is PATIENCE!! But if you can be, the results are very rewarding!

#12 5 days ago

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used Montana’s brand if clear coat. Their paints are wonderful. I’m just not super confident with thinning clear and brushing it on. Feel far more confident using a rattle can and being careful to get an even layer

#13 4 days ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used Montana’s brand if clear coat. Their paints are wonderful. I’m just not super confident with thinning clear and brushing it on. Feel far more confident using a rattle can and being careful to get an even layer

Not a fan of brushed on clears. With all the time and work you are going to put into those stencils I suspect that finish would not look great.

#14 4 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not a fan of brushed on clears. With all the time and work you are going to put into those stencils I suspect that finish would not look great.

I may have incorrectly led you to assume the product from Montana was a brush on. It is not it is a spray. As long as I strive for as uniform coat as I can, I would assume the finish would be decent??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 49.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 199.99
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Meteor Spinner Decal Out of stock
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 22.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    RGP Models
    $ 229.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 360.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 160.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 174.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside