image-491.jpg
IMG_4333.JPG
BALLY white.JPG
BALLY white 1.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
capt Fant sample.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twistedpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 9 years ago

I can't stress enough the importance of prep. You can be the best painter in the world but if you cabinet is prepped correctly then the end result will not that great.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I talked to me friend that owns the body shop and he told me to get DBC grade with the reducer and that it would need to be clear coated. Are you using automotive clear coat or off the shelf at home depot clear coat? Also.. he mentioned there is a "shop grade" auto paint he won't use because it only last about 5 years on an automobile in the sun but would probably work well for this application and would cost less. Any thoughts? I know this paint is much more expensive but in the long run if you only use a little of it is it close to the cost of putting multiple coats of home grade paint like the Behr paint mentioned above?

DBC stands for Delton Basecoat which is one of the basecoat lines offered by PPG. DBC has been around for a long long time and is a good basecoat. Any basecoat you purchase will need to be clearcoated. I wouldn't use anything other automotive clearcoat. You want to keep your basecoat and clearcoat within the same brand ie. PPG Base/Clear or Dupont Base/Clear etc.. If you use DBC then you can purchase Omni MC161 which is a lower grade clear manufactured by PPG but is a good quality product. You can buy a small bottle of UV additive which can go into the clear which will help add years of protection to the clear. Do not add the UV additive to the basecoat as that can cause issues. Unless you plan on sitting your pinball machine in front of a window with direct sunlight for years on end this paint job will last the lifetime of the machine.

Quoted from KingNine:

Thanks for the paint info!! Is that clear a gloss, flat, semi???

MC161 is glossy as it is designed for overall vehicle refinishing. You can purchasing a flattening agent that you can mix into the clear to get the matte or semi-gloss you are looking for.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Our automotive place is recommending a single stage paint that already has clear coat in it.
Anybody see a problem with using that.
Seems like a good idea.

DON"T USE SINGLE STAGE!! On a car sure single stage is great as you just put a few coats on and your done. Plus single stage is cheaper. I know your thinking those sound great!

Here is the issue with single stage. It is not designed for doing graphics etc.. Single stage takes awhile to dry so you would need to wait a few days between each color. If you didn't wait the appropriate amount of time you can risk leaving a "print" from the adhesive of the second stencil once it is applied. Most basecoats only take 30mins-1hr to flash off before you can apply the next stencil. Also single stage is much thicker with the clear built in so you would have a much thicker and harder line when you remove the stencil.

Whatever paint you do purchase ask them for the product data sheet. This is not a MSDS sheet but a sheet that gives you all the mixing ratios and the dry times. All automotive paint is designed to be sprayed at 70 degrees. For every 15 degrees above 70 degrees you cut the dry time in half. Also if you go down to 55 degrees then the dry time will double.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twistedpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stencil-kit-question?tu=twistedpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.