Stellar Wars with a SYS6 CPU

By PghPinballRescue

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I 'm working on a Stellar Wars that has a SYS6 CPU in it. This should be a SYS4.

The machine does not boot, but the client swears it did.

I've got multiple untested SYS6 CPUs, nnone of which I can get to work in the machine when I swap the ROMs and CPU over.

So, what modifications need done to a SYS6 board to make it backward compatible with a SYS4 machine? Pinwiki did not have my answer, nor did I find anything here on the forums.

Looking for some guidance.

#2 4 years ago

I've used a system 6 board in a system 4 + 3 board without issue in the past.

The one thing that might be an issue is if it has the 8T28 data line tranceivers removed, and you're using the original masked roms (not 2716s)

Or maybe your memory protect signal from the cab is bad?

#3 4 years ago

Can you elaborate on the memory protect signal?

#4 4 years ago

Verify the original roms to make sure they're still good. Burn a new set to make sure. If your system 6 boards don't have the buffers like zacaj says, they won't work with masked roms. From a software standpoint there's no difference between system 4 and 6 regarding getting them to run on either board. (system 4 software works in system 6.... system 6 software works in system 4 except for firepower).

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Verify the original roms to make sure they're still good. Burn a new set to make sure. If your system 6 boards don't have the buffers like zacaj says, they won't work with masked roms. From a software standpoint there's no difference between system 4 and 6 regarding getting them to run on either board. (system 4 software works in system 6.... system 6 software works in system 4 except for firepower).

This may be a bit rusty but...

System 6 added a memory protect signal. Basically the R/W pin of the 5101 ram can't go into 'write' mode for portions of the ram unless the coin door is open, to prevent bugs/etc from messing with the adjustments. So if that signal was messed up (either on the board or coming into J4 from the cab), it's possible that could mess with a system 6 board booting, while on a system 4 board that pin is N/C. Not the first place I'd look though, but just one of the few differences between system 4 and 6 that I could think of

#6 4 years ago

burn new 2716 roms for it. you can swap faulty roms all you like they wont start working

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

This may be a bit rusty but...
System 6 added a memory protect signal. Basically the R/W pin of the 5101 ram can't go into 'write' mode for portions of the ram unless the coin door is open, to prevent bugs/etc from messing with the adjustments. So if that signal was messed up (either on the board or coming into J4 from the cab), it's possible that could mess with a system 6 board booting, while on a system 4 board that pin is N/C. Not the first place I'd look though, but just one of the few differences between system 4 and 6 that I could think of

Most it would do is put you into audit mode, which I consider a success since it means the board is at least booting. J4 shouldn't have anything on the memory protect line since it wasn't installed on those games.

I think the OP should get some test roms going first before delving farther. Leons' and pincoders although if Leons' works I've never had an issue just popping game roms in there, but I also have a stack of boards that are in the "maybe they work maybe they don't" status.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I think the OP should get some test roms going first before delving farther. Leons' and pincoders although if Leons' works I've never had an issue just popping game roms in there, but I also have a stack of boards that are in the "maybe they work maybe they don't" status.

I've seen a lot of times where leons would work but then bad ram, bad sockets, memory protect, etc would still prevent the main rom from actually booting

#9 4 years ago

Does the original sys 6 board have original sys 4 PROM/ROMs? If so, check the jumpers on the sys 6 board from the game. You need to change them from the default of a typical sys 6 game to use the ROMs from a sys 4 board.

When IC14 game ROM is used in place of PROMs, Jumper J3 must be connected and J4 removed (IC14 address 600016). When IC14 game ROM and PROMs are used Jumper J4 must be connected and J3 removed (IC14 address 680016).

#10 4 years ago

I’ve ran system 6 boards in my Stellar Wars when I had it.
All good info posted so far. Follow what they are saying. Should work.?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've seen a lot of times where leons would work but then bad ram, bad sockets, memory protect, etc would still prevent the main rom from actually booting

I'm probably insulated from that because I replace the sockets or use the Seigecraft 2764 adapter, and I always install NVram.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Does the original sys 6 board have original sys 4 PROM/ROMs? If so, check the jumpers on the sys 6 board from the game. You need to change them from the default of a typical sys 6 game to use the ROMs from a sys 4 board.
When IC14 game ROM is used in place of PROMs, Jumper J3 must be connected and J4 removed (IC14 address 600016). When IC14 game ROM and PROMs are used Jumper J4 must be connected and J3 removed (IC14 address 680016).

IC14 is not used.
J2 is not connected.
J3 is connected.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-with-a-sys6-cpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.