• Latest reply 3 years ago by sworton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SW-Lamps (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

My #Stellar Wars Lane lights 1-4 are supposed to be off when the game starts and light up and as you pass the ball through each lane individually turn on. Instead, the lights are always on. Completing lanes 1-4 does advance the multiplier as it is supposed to do but the lights do not reset to off.

In addition, the "5X" multiplier light is also always on.

Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this? I am a bit out of my depth on this one. PS - just had the original System 6 boards repaired for other issues.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Assuming all connectors are good, no shorts, etc, appears to be a problem in the Lamp Matrix. If comfortable troubleshooting at the board level, see page five of:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2372/Williams_1979_Stellar_Wars_Schematics_February_1979_low_resolution_and_bleached_paginated.pdf

The attached lamp matrix can help.

SW-Lamps (resized).JPGSW-Lamps (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

Are they always on in attract mode and lamp test too?

#4 3 years ago

quick answer - lamps are always on - ive inspected all wires and connections associated with the matrix and do not visually see any shorts. I also made sure the transistors are not bent over on the driver board.

I do have the lamp matrix - column 3 is definitely the problem as the lights for all those specified come up. I just dont know how to isolate/test this.

#5 3 years ago

Comfortable reading a schematic? If so, the driver transistor for Column 3 (appears to be Q67, double check though) needs to be checked with the diode test of a multimeter. A defective transistor can cause the lights to remain on.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks - I see the transistor. Well the good news, is I found a few other links on Pinside. They suggested pulling the bulbs to see if any were shorted. So i pulled all the lane lights and out them back one at a time. I found the last light caused the short. Well not the light but the socket for the light had caught a splash of solder which shorted it.
I cleaned it up and now my lights are all working properly again.
I must say, Pinside has really great people who reach out and provide assistance along with really good info on how to fix things. It's a bit over mu head at times but I keep working at it.
Thank you all for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-troubleshoot-upper-lane-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.