(Topic ID: 275275)

Stellar Wars Plastics Question - All black instead of normal look?

By too-many-pins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

122_0625 (resized).JPG
122_0624 (resized).JPG
122_0623 (resized).JPG
122_0583 (resized).JPG
122_0581 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I just parted out a Stellar Wars machine that was "totally trashed" and when I was researching the plastic set to see if it was complete I discovered it was totally different than anything I could find on any pictures. My set is all black instead of black faded to blue? Prototype Set? See eBay item number 154047471845 to see what you think - I would love to know more about these.

122_0581 (resized).JPG122_0581 (resized).JPG122_0583 (resized).JPG122_0583 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

no one with a quick answer to this question?

#3 3 years ago

Still looking for an answer if anyone knows? Any time I find anything unusual I like to know the "back story" on it if possible. Today I am going to look at the cabinet to see if I can find a serial number - maybe that will be part of the answer.

#4 3 years ago

Discolored from age is my guess. Look at those clear portions. They are super brown and dark. Enough to say that the color has gone black

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Discolored from age is my guess. Look at those clear portions. They are super brown and dark. Enough to say that the color has gone black

The brown is mostly dirt - I could understand "fade" if the blue was yellowed but these are pure black and blue would never fade to black with age. The black is the same all over not like it is different in what would have been blue areas of the plastic?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Discoloration and dirt would be my guess as well. I'd try cleaning one and see what happens.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Discoloration and dirt would be my guess as well. I'd try cleaning one and see what happens.

This isn't from dirt or fade -- below is a picture of one piece cleaned up and it is as black as coal. I am thinking maybe sample game but I don't know for sure. I do think the black looks better than the normal plastics though?

122_0623 (resized).JPG122_0623 (resized).JPG122_0624 (resized).JPG122_0624 (resized).JPG122_0625 (resized).JPG122_0625 (resized).JPG
#8 3 years ago

Here is a link to a picture of the "normal set"

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1657

#9 3 years ago

I just find some of these type changes very interesting. But when I do find something unusual I always like to know all I can about it even though I am not keeping the item in most cases.

#10 3 years ago

My Stellar Wars plastics looked just as black as yours when I sold them at a swap meet back in 2014. I actually have the pf in my game room currently because I've been pulling wires to match a game being worked on. Don't call me a dick, but these are dirty old plastics. Mine looked identical.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

My Stellar Wars plastics looked just as black as yours when I sold them at a swap meet back in 2014. I actually have the pf in my game room currently because I've been pulling wires to match a game being worked on. Don't call me a dick, but these are dirty old plastics. Mine looked identical.

I am not calling anyone a "dick" but I am 66 years old and have been dealing in antiques & collectibles for over 50 years and I have never seen dirty blue turn black. I am sure this isn't the only set out there like these and I am sure some of the other colors are off on these because of the yellowing but yellowed medium blue is not going to turn black & if it was due to UV rays or "sun fade" blue would typically turn lighter not darker.

In any event it isn't any huge deal I just thought it was kind of interesting and after spending a good bit of time on the internet looking I didn't find another machine or plastic that looked like these. Maybe the set you had was also from a prototype or something? I am just hoping to hear from someone else who might know more about these but since I don't own a Stellar Wars machine in the end it really doesn't matter to me.

#14 3 years ago

I just got a Stellar Wars. What will you be doing with playfield?
Jim

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from whatamidoing:

I just got a Stellar Wars. What will you be doing with playfield?
Jim

Playfield & cabinet were totally trashed - that was why this one became parts. I never part out a machine that can be saved.

#16 3 years ago

Just wondering as someone changed all lighting under red circle. Just looking for parts.
Thanks Jim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-plastics-question-all-black-instead-of-normal-look and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.