• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I'm stumped... my Williams Stellar Wars (system 4) has a matrix issue and nothing seems to be fixing it.

What happens:
The W rollover sometimes, but not always, resets the left target bank. The top and middle drops on the left target bank do not score. The lower target always scores and always reset the bank regardless if the other two targets are down.

What I've done:
1. Replaced and socketed all ICs that are part of the matrix circuit
2. Replaced the 40 pin interboard connecter
3. Tested every switch diode for open or short
4. Tested every row and column for short
5. Removed, cleaned, adjusted and re-assembled all targets banks (including the pcb traces and switch contacts)
6. Manipulated many wires and harnesses looking to find a wire short that might activate a switch
7. Removed and re-seated all ROMs

None of the above has altered or changed the symptoms at all. I think one of the drops has scored a couple times before but so rarely, and after so many run throughs, that I'm not sure I believe it happened anymore. These switches share a column or row but not all are on the same column or row. Illustration attached...

Any ideas?

[att=743894 caption="image_(resized).jpeg"]

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Look at the Williams 3-7 section of Pinwiki.com.
Run the switch matrix tests in section 4.24.3 and see if you can narrow it down to a board or wiring problem.
Or did you do that as part of your 4 above?

#4 7 years ago

I did not run that specific test... but I'll try it and see. 4 was me testing for shorts in the wiring by buzzing out the matrix rows and columns.

#5 7 years ago

See if the issue is on the PF or the driver board. Use switch test and close switches on the PF. then pull the plugs and close switches at the driver board.

Diode isolation issues may not show up until a drop target is down holding a switch open. The drop targets very often has wiring issues, id check there.

#6 7 years ago

As expected, the problem was in the cab. Seems a previous owner, or the factory, installed the target PCBs upside down and backwards. I bought it with this matrix issue and took pics before I took it apart and never noticed that these boards were installed differently than the others. Live and learn... thanks for helping talk me through it. Every pin is a new lesson it seems!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from jay:

As expected, the problem was in the cab. Seems a previous owner, or the factory, installed the target PCBs upside down and backwards. I bought it with this matrix issue and took pics before I took it apart and never noticed that these boards were installed differently than the others. Live and learn... thanks for helping talk me through it. Every pin is a new lesson it seems!

Sounds about right. When having swtich issues on these WMS games with the drop target sliding PCB things.... always look there first. The wires fall off and people put them back together wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-matrix-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.