Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by FUNWIZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Chances are the new coil will get locked on too, if there's a bad driver or pre-driver transistor that's bad.

When you cut the wires to the coil, did you cut 2 wires that were connected to one of the coil lugs? A lot of time the power wiring daisy-chains from one coil to the next, it's possible you cut the wire carrying the power from the bad coil to the other *now* non-working pop bumper coil.

#6 5 years ago

It looks like the lower left pop bumper goes to Q4 (a TIP120 transistor, but replace with a more durable TIP102 instead), which also has a pre-driver 2N4401 transistor that usually should also be replaced. Is there 2 red wires and 1 red wire with a blue stripe going to the lower left pop bumper coil? I just want to make sure I'm giving you the correct info.

#8 5 years ago

The 2 red wires you cut off the pop bumper--those are the power wires for that coil, and most likely the power wire for the other coil that stopped working after you cut those wires (like i said, the power daisy-chains from coil to coil).

If you splice the 2 red wires together, the other pop bumper should start working again. Don't connect the red/blue wire to anything in the meantime of, course.

Looks like the info in my above post should be accurate--Q4 and Q5 should probably be replaced. I would check those transistors with your dmm before installing the new coil (and potentially frying it if there is a bad transistor or 2).

#10 5 years ago

Can you put up a few pics of the new coil and wiring to it?

#12 5 years ago

It's possible. So exactly which pop bumpers are you having trouble with now?

#16 5 years ago

Also make sure both red wires are attached to the lug of the coil that has the banded side of the diode.

#19 5 years ago

Did you ever replace the pre-driver 2N4401 at Q3? It may have gotten fried when the coils were wired wrong.

Here's another idea: If you ground the tab on Q4, does the coil fire?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-lower-pop-bumpers-?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.