7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This Stellar Wars does a strange thing- When you're playing it, the controlled lights, like the S-t-e-l-l-a-r w-a-r-s as well as the 1-2-3-4 all do this thing where they fade up and down in brightness. I thought it was normal, until someone who was going to buy the game pointed out several videos on youtube that don't show this behavior. I don't see anything to do that in the options for the game - Heck, I've never heard of ANY williams System 3-7 game doing this, and if it was a feature, you'd think they'd have made other titles that did this.

Could this be some crazy ROM? I saw one other reference to this on a google group discussion thread.

Someone else said they saw something like this on a Tri-Zone, and it turned out to be a capacitor.. ??

-B

#3 7 years ago

I desoldered one of the of the connections to that cap, and put two 15,000 Caps in Parallel in for the 30K, however it still was "Breathing" after I finished. So I took a look at the power board, and there are all sorts of bulging, and quite nasty old looking caps on that board. Luckily I have a power cap kit, and I'll swap that in on that board. What a drag, because I just met someone today who had a replacement Rottendog board for his firepower that he didn't need any more, and I could have gotten it fairly inexpensively. He sold me a driver, and MPU board that he thought didn't work since he didn't think they worked. I figured they'd be good project boards anyway I can put the test chip in and get to diagnosing.

Still, no telling if that board is really the problem, or if somehow my parallel cap idea didn't work. I do have an old Lasercue that I'm not using, maybe I'll grab the 30K out of that one and give that a shot. If they weren't $50 I'd get one from Marco, but I'm loathe to spend that, plus the shipping on that part when I am not sure really sure that's the issue.. Maybe the other cap will prove it and I can order it and be done with it.

-Brian

#6 7 years ago

It was the 30k cap. The old connections were soldered to it. Replaced the cap with a different one and all was fixed. Thanks guys.

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stellar-wars-controlled-lights-fade-in-and-out?tu=bdPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.