Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nixie.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I was thinking an awesome theme for a custom table would be Steam Punk. Also thought it would be cool is the table was actually built from scavenged metal parts from junk yards etc to really give it an authentic look.

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Could be very cool. Metal and toys that appear to run on clockwork. If jpop wasn't so slow, I'd say that could be a perfect theme for him to work.

#3 9 years ago

I think Ben Heck once suggested a Tesla vs Edison theme on an episode of C2C pinball. That could lend nicely to a Steam Punk type game, especially since the Tesla themed Zen Pinball virtual table already has that vibe going on.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

I think Ben Heck once suggested a Tesla vs Edison theme on an episode of C2C pinball. That could lend nicely to a Steam Punk type game, especially since the Tesla themed Zen Pinball virtual table already has that vibe going on.

Yeah, maybe even put an electric chair in there to spice things up!

#5 9 years ago

Zen Studios' "Tesla" table would be a great place to look first for some ideas.

Tesla Table Trailer

#6 9 years ago

My Cigar Room is sorta Steampunk themed. Bought a bunch of lamps, lights and gizmos from Ebay. Just put in Steampunk lamps. The Edison Bulbs are a must as well...

#7 9 years ago

copper-brass-bronze-steel would be a neat looking base playfield (sheetmetal over ply?) and after the desired patina's were reached I'd sure want THICK clearcoats to prevent it all from oxidizing.

I like some of the other tons of possibilities with the theme too, brass or bronze (horizontal) spinners looking like valve wheel handles, similarly pop bumpers, pressure gauge inserts (voltmeters?), actual compressed air blowing the ball around (why not?! it could also blow steam whistles), pawl and ratchet wheel where a target has to be hit many times to advance something (like a ball diverter?), brass and copper tubing instead of habitrails (or incorporated into), stoking a "coal fired boiler", metal pushbutton looking drop targets, metal leaf slingshots, using springs instead of rubber bands everywhere.. tons of possibilities!

#8 9 years ago

Don't forget the nixie tubes for the score.

nixie.jpgnixie.jpg

I believe the steampunk bylaws require you to have a pair of goggles and a tophat somewhere.

#9 9 years ago

That vid gets me going!

The ideas zizzle shared...I can see it all....WOW!

Now, If I saw a game like this for the price range of the upper games, I could immediately see its value!

IMO a Home-run here...licensing?....who needs it!

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

IMO a Home-run here...licensing?....who needs it!

yea, people have been ripping Tesla off for over 100 years!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from malkneil:

Yeah, maybe even put an electric chair in there to spice things up!

Don't forget the elephant!

#12 9 years ago

I've had ideas (maybe even a design ) for a long time...

#13 9 years ago

Another thread on the same subject:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-an-em-pin-ready-for-the-dumpster

Feel free to use my kicker idea if you like it.

#14 9 years ago

yup, the Tesla teaser has some fun mechanisms represented. dont know if its been done before but a shot right through the backboard going vertical and u-turn back down, with the ball weight raising a ribbon in the backglass like a pressure meter (another paddlewheel-ratchet-pawl arrangement) could be neat. some brass-bronze colored plastics that light brighter and brighter RED for "heating up" kinda like the zizzle potc chest looks with davey jones heart being lit, maybe some yellow LED's for "hotter than that!" orange. a hammer captive ball toy that needs to be hit many times to lower a wall(s) top 1/3 of pf before shots can be made to access an upper pf having linear pistons instead of flippers someplace? (that idea puts solenoids flat on the deck without long flipper shafts). what if instead of a ramp there were a large-ish rivet or two for a clean hit airball shot into a trough(s)? a ball landing on a bellows toy to push more heat?

so easy to go completely Beavis-n-Butthead (METAL+FIRE!!) with a steampunky concept. it could be as cool or better than MM and love playing that game. mousetrap could be a fun theme too.

1 month later
    #15 9 years ago

Here's a shameless self promotion as I'm trying to get rid of this. With that said I think it would be a great donor for a steampunk custom. Or any custom.

ebay.com link: 1960 Gottlieb Texan Sample Pinball Machine Project

Nice woodrail look to tie in with that old timey feel. Backglass has already been compromised so no guilt changing it out. Mechanicals are there and it's nearly working, you just need to engineer it to your needs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steampunk-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.