Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    deburring (resized).jpg
    rectbr2_(resized).png
    rms-600x241_(resized).jpg
    bridge1_(resized).jpg
    flux-unlimited_(resized).jpg
    example3_(resized).jpg
    example2_(resized).jpg
    example1_(resized).jpg
    example0_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    2001_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 7 years ago

Right now I only have 2 EMs. They are both Bally of similar vintage, Bon Voyage 1974 and Monte Carlo 1973. They behave very differently as far as the LED insert flickering. In the BV, you can just barely see it. I didn't even notice it at first. On the MC it is the exact opposite - very noticeable.

You could get away with the regular LEDs in the BV, just barely. No way in the MC, it is too annoying during game play. As you said the non-ghosting LEDs get rid of the flicker, I did test this. But as an alternative I have been soldering some 1/4 W 470 Ohm resistors across the lamp sockets. That trick seems to work for the EM like it does in the SS machines, at least for my testing. Its more of a pain but cheaper

What I am not sure of that would take more testing: Is it just the nature of each of these 2 machines to behave the way that they do? Is it the way the wire looms are organized and routed? Or is it some other difference in the machine? And, would it be the same for every BV and MC, or is it a situation where each machine is different on its own for whatever reasons? Lots of unanswered questions.

#26 7 years ago

Just to make clear: I don't see any actual flicker in the sense of a constant flicker like 60 Hz. And the GI is fine with the LEDs. The problem is with insert lights with LEDs when they are not lit. They will slightly light up when various things happen on the playfield, like the ball hitting the pop bumpers, various targets, etc.,in coordination with those events. Some sort of induced current in the wires caused by the solenoids energizing I presume.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.