• Latest reply 11 years ago by AbacusMan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2504-1_2.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I have a chance at a Monopoly pinball right now, and I do quite like the game. But I've also picked up a lot of interest in whirlwind and wouldn't mind looking around for one. At the moment i can only afford one of the two. So my question is which one has more lastability? I know whirlwind is much shallower than Monopoly, but it's rated much higher. Which one is more fun long term?

#2 11 years ago

I think Monopoly is a lot better game than most people it credit for. I like WW as well. How much is the Monopoly, and what type of condition is it in?

#3 11 years ago

I would say if you can get the Monopoly right now at a fair price then pick it up and play it for a bit. You could always sell it later and pick up a Whirlwind when you find one available. I have both and it would be a toss up as to which one to keep out of the two.

#4 11 years ago

mon. but it's going to be a hard sell down the road. the game gets no love.

alternative - ww and mon board game. 2 for the price of one.

#5 11 years ago

By far WW. Thats a Sys 11 classic if not one of the best sys 11. Everyone wants one a WW so get it while you can.

#6 11 years ago

I would avoid Monotony. Not popular for a reason. WW is not as complicated, but it's a winner.

#7 11 years ago

Another point is that the ratings actually are fairly accurate. Sometimes you really don't know until you really study everything about the specific machine. I was going to get RBION, but after much review, I removed it from my want list for many of the reasons that others rank it lower.

#8 11 years ago

Okay, so we have some mixed results here. I would like to remind everyone that I don't currently have a Whirlwind on offer to me, whereas I do have a monopoly on offer to me for $2000 and it's currently on hold. What other pins could i get with $2000 that are at least somewhat deep. And remember I'm canadian, so $2000 doesn't go as far in the pin hobby as it does in the states.

Quoted from Propaganda:

Another point is that the ratings actually are fairly accurate. Sometimes you really don't know until you really study everything about the specific machine. I was going to get RBION, but after much review, I removed it from my want list for many of the reasons that others rank it lower.

Well you see, I've actually played both and I can tell you I find both monopoly and whirlwind to be quite enjoyable despite Monopoly's ratings. So clearly you can't always judge a pin by its reviews.

#9 11 years ago

For me depends on if I want a DMD or Sys 11 or newer Stern, etc.

Comb the top 100 lists starting at the top and make a list in your price range and take it from there. The top 100 is pretty good starting point.

Great DMD for under 2k or around are HS2, (maybe a WH2O but I think those have climbed). Shadow is my favorite pin even over AFM but shadows are going up but still in the 2500 range.

Start with the top 20 and work down from therein your price range.

#10 11 years ago

I have played monopoly only a handful of times but I owned and miss my whirlwind a lot.
Very satisfying fun game IMO.

I do agree though if you have a chance at a good price on monopoly I would by it and you could always sell it later to fund another game. I think 2K is a good deal. Normally more like 2500.

#11 11 years ago

For me I look at what I am going to spend and get the highest rated pin on the list for that price.

#12 11 years ago

What features of Monopoly do you like. That's a good topic.

#13 11 years ago

And what do you dislike about Monopoly.

#14 11 years ago

For $2kish - HS2, JM or JD or DM (more like $1500), JP, LAH, or T3 - ALL pins at around or under $2k.

Then of course there's TFTC, which I saved for last as it looks biased as my only pin - but definitely a great pin for the money and considerably deep.

#15 11 years ago

–Monopoly–

Pros: Theme, ruleset, layout, art, music.
Cons: Build quality (not that bad a con, I kinda like the feel of early 2000s sterns), I've played the living hell out of it on location (not sure if i've already used up it's lastability just playing it in the wild).

#16 11 years ago

I've got a Monopoly. I'm not very fond of it. It would be WW for me.

#17 11 years ago

Does Shadow still go for 2k? Or has it pinflated far beyond that by now. Cause I love shadow.

Also, come to think of it, the main hesitation stopping me from pulling the trigger on Monopoly, a game I love, is that I've played the crap out of it on location and now I worry it might loose it's appeal about ten or twenty games from now.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from ink_blot:

Does Shadow still go for 2k? Or has it pinflated far beyond that by now. Cause I love Shadow.

Those seem to have gone up and are closer to the 3k range right around 2,700

Also my vote is for Whirlwind. Such a classic, great art package. Great game to really hone your playing skills.

#19 11 years ago

I think I'm leaning more toward monopoly. I'm getting it for a below market price so I can't really ask for more. It's in good condition all except some dirt. There's no playfield wear and almost no cab wear. It's a good machine. For the price I'm buying it for it shouldn't be too hard to sell later on at about the same price I paid (especially once I clean it up, and LED it, and whatnot).

#20 11 years ago

I own both and I like Monopoly more than most people do, but I think Whirlwind is a better game overall. I wouldn't agree that it's that much more shallow than Monopoly, to be honest. Whirlwind is a pretty feature-packed System 11, and Monopoly is a somewhat shallow DMD, so they're actually kinda close in terms of depth of rules. The only thing Monopoly really has over it rules-wise is the modes, which generally consist of "hit any ramp" or "hit the bank over and over."

I like the art and music/sounds on both, I just like them more on Whirlwind. Whirlwind also has a little more interesting flow due to the dual upper flipper shots -- it's just satisfying to knock out combos like the inner loop -> ramp, or better yet shoot through the pops -> inner loop -> ramp. The equivalent second upper flipper shot in Monopoly is a scoop that simply holds the ball and then drops it in the pops, which often results in a drain when the ball comes shooting out of them. So it's both a flow breaker and frustrating when it screws you.

I also find the system of lighting lock through shooting compass directions in Whirlwind to be more fun and challenging than just hitting ramps repeatedly until passing "Go" in Monopoly. As for toys, the spinning discs in Whirlwind are somewhat annoying but not as much as the "blocks the most important shot every time you need it" Cop Drop in Monopoly, or the much maligned spinning flipper.

Overall I'd say Monopoly is a lot of fun, integrates a lot of cool parts of its theme and is definitely under-appreciated, but Whirlwind is a true classic.

#21 11 years ago

Both great games.

I would personally rather have a Monopoly. Love the theme, the game is fun for noob and pro alike. Seems very deep too.

WW not so deep, but still fun.

For a 1 pin game room, Monopoly is a great choice.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Both great games.
I would personally rather have a Monopoly. Love the theme, the game is fun for noob and pro alike. Seems very deep too.
WW not so deep, but still fun.
For a 1 pin game room, Monopoly is a great choice.

Sorry to all the WW lovers but I'm going to side with RawleyD for my first purchase. Bobby Conover and many others have made some great points but in the end, I watched some more youtube video of whirlwind and I've come to this conclusion for myself personally anyway.

When I listed my pros and cons for monopoly I found I liked most everything about the game and it's flaws were not that grave.

But when I do the same for whirlwind, I see that I hate how the tornado drop target isn't a "real" shot, they could have fit something better right there. Or how they used "dual scoops" instead of the "scoop and a ramp" that monopoly did. And yes monopoly swapped out whirlwind's flowing upper loop for a "scoop/mini-ramp/kicker thing" but I don't really mind, in fact I find the sound of the ball entering that metal contraption very satisfying. And I like the rotating flipper, it's randomness tests your flipper skills, and I enjoy the challenge of the cop drop target that blocks the most crucial shot in the game. I'm settled on monopoly, and I couldn't thank you all enough. Of course this is all assuming the deal goes through perfectly, which, thankfully, it should.

#23 11 years ago

I currently have both in my garage. I'd want to own WW more, BUT if you have a Monopoly on the table for 2k right now? Pick it up.

#24 11 years ago

For those curious, here's a picture of the machine I'm hopefully going to purchase. The only thing missing is a flipper rubber which probably split apart because these games have been sitting in a warehouse for a while, and so it got removed before they took the picture. Other than that, and the green lights in the bank instead of red, I'd say it looks pretty good. What do you think?

IMG_2504-1_2.JPGIMG_2504-1_2.JPG

#25 11 years ago

I'd take Whirlwind over Monopoly any day.

#26 11 years ago

I'd agree that the layout is similar on both machines after some basic analysis.

#27 11 years ago

I love the Railroad ramp on Monopoly! What a short, fast and repeatable shot, if you can manage the backhand!

I think my best was four shots in a row on that ramp!

#28 11 years ago

I think you had your mind made up before you even asked the question.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from ink_blot:

But when I do the same for Whirlwind, I see that I hate how the tornado drop target isn't a "real" shot, they could have fit something better right there.

On the contrary, the tornado drop target is a pretty important and a fun shot that sends the ball right into the top 3 bumpers, which are all very active.
Extra balls, 2 ball-multi, built up drop target bonus. Great sound effects too!

I hope you get your Monopoly. Fun game that will be great.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I was going to get RBION, but after much review, I removed it from my want list for many of the reasons that others rank it lower.

Now you have me curious as to if you actually played one?

#31 11 years ago

I had both games at the same time nd they re very very similar in layout and even how they feel.
Chosing between them is diffivult as they are not that different.
I would select Monopoly as it has a dmd and generally in better condition.

#32 11 years ago

WW is a classic and hard to find in nice shape. Monopoly is just a bad to average game. Just my 2 cents.

#33 11 years ago

I had Monopoly and I was more then disappointed with it. It has some major design flaws and its not that fun. I hate to say it but I dumped it on a e-bay sucker as quick as I could. The flaws are the playfield is poorly coated so it wears really fast. They screwed up the sound system and it hums like a mother even after doing mods to calm it down. The mini flipper is rather loud and distracting in my opinion - even after cleaning it. The game play is down right tiresome after a few games. WW is a better game in my opinion - I found it to be a game I would go back for every time.

#34 11 years ago

I've played whirlwind 1000's of times and monopoly maybe 50. If they were sitting side by side at an arcade, I'd devote all my time to whirlwind.

#35 11 years ago

Minority here: I love Monopoly. The music's great, the theme is executed well and the ramps are smooth. Typical Lawlor, but modes are quick.

#36 11 years ago

I'll go monopoly... But I'm a biased owner

#37 11 years ago

I think WW is a way better game.

#38 11 years ago

I owned Mono (NIB)... sold it shortly.

I owned WW for 15 years (diamond plate), never leaving my collection. Great game, great shots, classic Lawlor pin, +++.

However, I will say; at $2k for Mono... and what OP is saying/feeling about the game... I would buy it. You can play it for a long time and probably sell it for what you paid.

#39 11 years ago

Monopoly is my second fave game right beside BBH.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/staying-power and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.