Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brijam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Pinside has a very short “logged in” timer. I think it’s between 20-30 minutes of inactivity before it logs you out. While I’ve put pinside in my password manager which accelerates the time required to login, it would be great if pinside offered a “stay logged in” feature (cookie) with an expiration timer measured in multiple days. I’m the only person using the browser on my phone; the risk of someone gaining unauthorized access is slim, and the risk minimal. Pinside isn’t PayPal

Thanks for the consideration.

Andrew

#2 5 years ago

If such a timer exists I've never noticed it. It's not affecting everyone. I go for weeks without having to log in. Your browser should have a keep me logged in feature.

#3 5 years ago

I view pinside on my phone numerous times a day. I have never been logged out of pinside that I can remember. Something I need to look in to.

#4 5 years ago

i havent logged in in like a year it keeps me logged in.

#5 5 years ago

You might check with Robin.

I believe there was one in the past. I picked stay logged in. Haven't had to log in since.

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

Interesting. I stay logged in on other forums using the same browser, and I’ve searched for a profile/website setting on pinside and haven’t found one.

I don’t believe safari (iPhone) has a per-site setting to remove cookies, but I’ll look.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You might check with Robin.
    I believe there was one in the past. I picked stay logged in. Haven't had to log in since.

I don’t see a “stay logged in” option on the login page (and trust me, I see it frequently!).

I’m experimenting. I’m now using Firefox mobile on my iPhone. Let’s see if the behavior changes.

#8 5 years ago

Use Firefox & stays logged in phone 2 PCs and my phone for...well i can't even remember when i last had to do it.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from andrewket:

I don’t see a “stay logged in” option on the login page

Maybe it went away.

#10 5 years ago

So my session on Firefox (phone) was logged out as well. So it’s either a common phone setting, or pinside.

I’m going to see if I can find a way to examine the cookie metadata to see if pinside is setting an expiration.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from andrewket:

So my session on Firefox (phone) was logged out as well. So it’s either a common phone setting, or pinside.
    I’m going to see if I can find a way to examine the cookie metadata to see if pinside is setting an expiration.

I am always being logged out on my phone = annoying!
    But, on my home computer, I am never logged out, even on my work computer i am never logged out

#12 5 years ago

Hmm. I havnt had to log in for years.

#13 5 years ago

I also experience a time-out after 30ish minutes of inactivity. I noticed a behavioral change a few months ago where Pinside no longer keeps me logged in, whereas prior to that Pinside always kept me logged in.

None of the other sites I visit regularly have this challenge (generally everything else stays logged in).

I figured it was a new security feature on Pinside and assumed it was the same for everyone. If I find some kind of setting (Pinside, Chrome, or otherwise) that allows me to stay logged in I'll share back with the thread.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I am always being logged out on my phone = annoying!
    But, on my home computer, I am never logged out, even on my work computer i am never logged out

I get logged out on my home and work computers, and my phone across multiple browsers.

#15 5 years ago

So I went and examined the cookies that pinside is storing under Chrome on Mac OS X.

There are 3 cookies:

__cfduid - expires 1 year from creation date (domain: .pinside.com)
    pinsideCookie - expires 1 month from creation date (domain: .pinside.com)
    pinsideSession - expires when browsing session ends (domain: pinside.com) note, no leading dot

__cfduid is cloudflare
    pinsideCookie is what I suspect is being used for auth
    pinsideSession is being used to track your current session (vs another that you might have running simultaneously)

Somewhat humorously, a google search for "pinsideCookie" resulted in another thread from 8 months ago talking about the same problem:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/constantly-logging-me-out-of-pinside-lately

So it appears there is a problem here, and it's been going on for awhile, but it's only impacting a small set of users.

#16 5 years ago

Everyone is supposed to stay logged in at all times, unless you log out. This is currently done by way of a cookie. There is no 'remember me' setting currenty - everyone stays logged in.

At least, that's the way it was intended

Quoted from andrewket:

So it appears there is a problem here, and it's been going on for awhile, but it's only impacting a small set of users

Interesting point. If it only affects some people and accross separate browsers (right? or is this only affect Safari users?), one might think it has to do with the way some information is stored in that cookie. Could you pm me the exact code of your pinsideCookie? Please don't share it here publicly.

#17 5 years ago

The only time I've been logged out is when the electric goes out during a storm or something, otherwise I've never seen the need to do it myself.

John

#18 5 years ago

It's probably an Apple thing. Just a hunch.

#19 5 years ago

I always have logged out when done.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from codered9394:

I view pinside on my phone numerous times a day. I have never been logged out of pinside that I can remember. Something I need to look in to.

Ditto

3 weeks later
    #21 5 years ago

Not sure if you’ve found your answer or not as the thread is aging a bit, but I thought I could share my experience FWIW.

My understanding is that as a way to preserve free memory, iOS only keeps a small number of pages/tabs active at a time, at least in safari (other browsers I believe behave similarly). If you visit a bunch of other tabs and then come back, it forces a page refresh - which can log you out. If you use private browsing, it will log you out every time.

This is what happens to me anyways, it’s a huge pain. I have suffered so many lost drafts and emptied shopping carts over the years, it’s ridiculous.

#22 5 years ago

I get logged out constantly on my iPad, I always browse in private mode. It’s really annoying. I’ve also lost many posts. I used to get logged out constantly on Firefox but not since upgrading to v60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stay-logged-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.