View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
super score motor (resized).JPG
H relay circuit (resized).JPG
R relay (resized).JPG
SB relay (resized).JPG
power circuit (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider n2012y.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've restored SS pins in the past and I'm trying to fix a couple of EM machines. The Super Score machine is completely dead when you plug it in. I've double checked the slam/bounce/cheat switches and they are correct. If slightly encouraged, the motor will advance one step (the whole machine turns on for a moment) then it all shuts down. The schematic shows the machine all set with a ball in the shooting lane with the power off. I need to know the correct status of the machine when it is simply plugged in. I feel like I could track down the problem if I know where to start. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks guys for responding to my post.

I checked the switches on the R relay and they are clean and adjusted. None of the relays energize when I plug the game in. So I'm wondering if it is designed to be fully off (including general lighting) until a coin goes into the slot or replay is pressed? It currently does nothing when pressed (with games). Also, how do I set it to free play?

Unfortunately, the some of the relay stickers are missing so I will have to check wire colors. If I manually throw what I think is the x relay, the motor steps once and cuts off. Thanks again.

#6 2 years ago

Still no luck. I've got a better DMM and test leads coming in soon. Any ideas and suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

#8 2 years ago

I've know the schematic symbols for many years. I'm new to following the logic. For example: the normally closed SB (starting) relay switch (lower left) is part of a bank of relays. It's a locking relay and I'm not sure which position is "normally closed." So if it's closed due to the relay having been energized through the replay switch, the replay switch isn't doing anything. The switch itself is ok. The other way the circuit is complete to the primary coil of the transformer is through the scoring motor switch and the x relay, which when powered advances only once and the game goes dark.

I'm in a learning curve here and I appreciate you patience with a newbie.

#11 2 years ago

Yup, When you manually trip the x relay, the SB does not trip and the motor goes 1/3 turn. If you manually trip the SB relay then trip the x relay, the R (115v hold) relay trips and the motor runs continuously.

#13 2 years ago

Again, thank you for your help. I meant to use "trip" to describe an interlocking relay. Somehow I've managed to get the SB to trip (and energize R) when it's supposed to. The 30v hold relay H isn't energizing, so I'm trying to run that one down. I also need to get the timing motor to stop running.

#16 2 years ago

The score reels are staying at zero.

#18 2 years ago

I'm starting to realize what a puzzle this is... The scores reset once, now they don't reset at all as the timing motor spins.... still no progress on the H relay. I guess this is more of a marathon than a sprint.

#20 2 years ago

OK, so they're not resetting properly. Could this be a reason for the continuous timing motor?

#23 2 years ago

Progress made today. The H relay is working. The score reels are resetting to zero. The timing motor is still continuously running. Are there any other usual suspects for this problem? Many thanks.

#25 2 years ago

Wow. I followed your instructions. I visually checked the switch solder joints and blocked the switch contacts and the motor is still running. What's the best way to follow that circuit backwards and find the connection/short?

#26 2 years ago

Progress. I unsoldered the silver-red wire from the motor and traced it through each relay back to the start relay. Everything was normal. Then I discovered there is a end-of-stroke type switch on the control bank (which includes the start relay). This was out of adjustment so the reset coil wouldn't fire to reset the start relay, which when left tripped,,,,, keeps the motor running. I now have power to the game, the score reels reset, the control bank resets, and the score motor is operating normally. The game is still not starting. Also, I've noticed a steady green arc on one of the 115v hold relay switches from time to time. That doesn't seem right. Any thoughts about this and continuing the diagnosis would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

#28 2 years ago

According to Pinball Resource, Gottlieb didn't publish manuals until the 1970s. So it's hit and miss for a while.

#30 2 years ago

Both reset bank coils are now firing with every score motor advance. The schematic shows that the bank armature switches should be NO at rest. If that's the case, I don't understand what the switches are supposed to do. The reset arm on both banks would never trip the switch if it is adjusted to be normally open.

#31 2 years ago

I think I just figured out part of the problem. The armature switch is activated by the SB relay, not the reset arm. oops.

#32 2 years ago

The machine fires up as of today. A lot of work left to do. Special thanks to you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Franklin, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider n2012y.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/status-of-1967-gottleib-super-score-when-simply-turned-on?tu=n2012y and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.