• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M48Z02-70PC1

Can this be used in a System 11A for F14 Tomcat? Already have this in hand and want to make sure first.

#2 7 years ago

Will it fit? I'm pretty sure that System 11A RAM is 24 pin without the extra 4-pins and jumper for putting in a 28-pin RAM (or NVRAM) that was found on later system 11s.

#3 7 years ago

The description says 28 pin but that's incorrect. It's a 24 pin chip and U25 is also 24 pins.

I use a M48Z12-200PC1 in my Banzai Run without issue but wanted to make sure the former will work in the F14.

#4 7 years ago

Well I never got a chance to install this, but I'm pretty sure it would work in an F14 from all the research I've done. But it did present itself with a rather amusing situation.

A little background first. The F14 isn't my game, but rather a game an operator routes at a bar along with 6 other games I maintain there. Anyways, I get a call from the owner that the game is showing Adjust Failure at boot-up. The game has a remote battery holder installed and has always been fine up until now. They said they checked the batteries and all were fine but it keeps giving Adjust Failure when turned on. So the static RAM chip was ordered to replace U25 that we figured was bad. I'm always nervous to unsolder chips from a CPU just because of what could go wrong.

Anyways, I get to the location and pull the CPU board. Decide I'm just going to do a few voltage tests before I start removing the RAM and installing sockets. I test the voltage where the wires from the remote battery holder are soldered to the CPU. I get 0 volts. Well, maybe a battery is bad...pull each and test and get 1.6V on each battery. Weird. I figure there must be a bad wire or bad connection between the battery and the contacts; so I start looking closer at those items. I happen to turn the battery holder over and lo-and-behold there is an ON/OFF switch on the holder and it was in the OFF position. Slide it to ON and, voila! Voltage at the board!

Called the op and asked if he still wanted me to change the RAM out and he said "no".

I put some black electrical tape over the switch so that can't be accidentally slid over to the OFF position by someone again. I like those kind of repairs.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

eird. I figure there must be a bad wire or bad connection between the battery and the contacts; so I start looking closer at those items. I happen to turn the battery holder over and lo-and-behold there is an ON/OFF switch on the holder and it was in the OFF position. Slide it to ON and, voila! Voltage at the board!

Nice catch.

#6 7 years ago

I wonder why anyone flipped that switch to the "OFF" position in the first place.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I wonder why anyone flipped that switch to the "OFF" position in the first place.

I'm sure it was accidental. It doesn't take much to move that switch at all. Just picking up the battery pack and touching the switch with your finger is enough to move it's position. Bigger question is: why is there a switch on the battery pack to begin with?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I'm sure it was accidental. It doesn't take much to move that switch at all. Just picking up the battery pack and touching the switch with your finger is enough to move it's position. Bigger question is: why is there a switch on the battery pack to begin with?

Maybe put some hot glue on the switch to keep it from moving.

Or swap out the battery pack with one that doesn't have a switch.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe put some hot glue on the switch to keep it from moving.
Or swap out the battery pack with one that doesn't have a switch.

Another thought was to either just remove the switch or jumper the switch contacts. It's fixed good enough for now so that it can't be moved accidentally or intentionally without some work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/static-ram-for-system-11a-f14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.