Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kiss Felt to auto plunger (resized).jpg
    KISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpg
    KISS 14 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hey guys,

I know I have seen this recently on a thread somewhere, and I forgot to save it.

Say you have an area of high activity, and you want to protect that part of your playfield. The pop bumpers on AFM are a good example. I have seen sheets of clear vinyl that either cling or have a sticky side to them, and you can cut it into any shape you like, lay it down flat, and protect that area of your game's playfield.

Anyone know exactly what I am talking about? I have heard they sell this material at Office Depot/Staples, but I don't know exactly what it is called.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

You’re looking for Mylar. Marco sells it in sheets and you can cut it as needed.

#3 6 years ago

Actually, there is another option I am looking for. Mylar is very unforgiving if you make a mistake laying it down. The stuff I am looking for can be re-used again and again, and it does not risk pulling artwork from your playfield if you go to reapply (using compressed air turned upside down).

I do know about mylar, but man, that stuff can be pretty brutal if you mess it up... : (

#4 6 years ago

The Mylar I have used has been pretty forgiving; I wax first so it’s very easy to remove after.

#5 6 years ago

The stuff I have used is called ClingVinyl by Grafix. Bought it off of Amazon if I recall. You can cut it to shape and such, works pretty well.

Busy making dinner, will look for the link later...

Cheers!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Actually, there is another option I am looking for. Mylar is very unforgiving if you make a mistake laying it down. The stuff I am looking for can be re-used again and again, and it does not risk pulling artwork from your playfield if you go to reapply (using compressed air turned upside down).
    I do know about mylar, but man, that stuff can be pretty brutal if you mess it up... : (

If you put down wax first, the Mylar should come up pretty easily. Are you doing older games before DiamondPlate and clearcoating ?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Hey guys,
    I know I have seen this recently on a thread somewhere, and I forgot to save it.
    Say you have an area of high activity, and you want to protect that part of your playfield. The pop bumpers on AFM are a good example. I have seen sheets of clear vinyl that either cling or have a sticky side to them, and you can cut it into any shape you like, lay it down flat, and protect that area of your game's playfield.
    Anyone know exactly what I am talking about? I have heard they sell this material at Office Depot/Staples, but I don't know exactly what it is called.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I use 3 Mil. Selfseal Laminating sheet for (shooter lane) since I discovered it in 2008 at anoffice store . I use it around (scoops). I use it to cover (decals) like on TOM 'Trap Door'. I used on Scared Stiff crate Decal . I have used it over (ghosting inserts) . I have used it on areas of (art) on a playfield that is starting to wear like the 'Fish' on Red and Teds Road Show . I have used it over (magnets).I have used it on my Avengers LE HULK (LED) Flasher reflector to hold Flasher from falling out. It is so clear that it is almost invisible. I have never used it for its intended purpose . Only pinball . I dub it "Miracle Mylar"
    https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/953053/Swingline-GBC-SelfSeal-Laminating-Sheets-3/

KISS 14 (resized).jpgKISS 14 (resized).jpg

KISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpgKISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

The stuff I have used is called ClingVinyl by Grafix. Bought it off of Amazon if I recall. You can cut it to shape and such, works pretty well.
    Busy making dinner, will look for the link later...
    Cheers!

yep that's it, works great. Easy down, easy up.

Self adhesive felt for shooter lanes, holes and saucers works great too if you want an easy/cheap fix and don't want metal all over your pin.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I use 3 Mil. Selfseal Laminating sheet for (shooter lane) since I discovered it in 2008 at anoffice store . I use it around (scoops).

I used to use that too Rob until it pulled up some of the shooter lane paint on my Ac/dc. It was otherwise perfect but some people freaked out about it when i went to sell it.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

yep that's it, works great. Easy down, easy up.
    Self adhesive felt for shooter lanes, holes and saucers works great too if you want an easy/cheap fix and don't want metal all over your pin.

Kiss Felt to auto plunger (resized).jpgKiss Felt to auto plunger (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I used to use that too Rob until it pulled up some of the shooter lane paint on my Ac/dc. It was otherwise perfect but some people freaked out about it when i went to sell it.

Been there done that with Mylar MM ghosted an insert removing Mylar with out freeze . I freeze the hell out any Mylar or laminate now before removing .

#13 6 years ago

Maybe you were looking for low tack Frisket film?

#14 6 years ago

All great suggestions, guys. I hope some people favor this thread for the future. The stuff I was looking for is Fellowes 3 mil self adhesive sheets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/static-cling-clear-vinyl-for-pf-protection?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.