IMG_3766 (resized).jpg
4445C924-819D-446B-AE12-50887FA677BB (resized).jpeg
IMG_3758 (resized).jpg
IMG_3759 (resized).jpg
IMG_5B0ED5F4F9A8-1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6133E61A0D1A-1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_CA57266A37D3-1 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I have a new Stern Starwars Pro Pinball. I accidentally put the wrong Stern SD (Avengers Pro) and now when I boot the machine with the Starwars SD it can not find Nodes 1, 8, 9, 10.

The message I get on Boot is:

"LOCATING NODE BOARDS 1 8 9 10 NODES NOT FOUND"

In the Service Menu, under Technical Alerts, I get three Alert Messages:

"Technician Alert - (1/3) Check Node Board 1 NOT INITIALIZED"
"Technician Alert - (2/3) Check Node Board 8 NOT INITIALIZED"
"Technician Alert - (3/3) Check Node Board 9 NOT INITIALIZED"

When booted up, the small playfield digital screen flashes on and off "white screen" every 3-5 seconds.

1. I have done a Reset to Factory
2. I just replaced the CPU board thinking that might fix the problem; unfortunately, it didn't correct the problem.
3. I have created a new SD Card from downloaded bits on Stern Support and it didn't correct the problem either.

I read this in the manual "The SPIKE nodes are smart nodes that have on-board processors and run embedded code. The nodes are programmed
automatically by the CPU node whenever software updates are installed to the CPU. When replacing a node, the CPU node will detect and update the node to the latest software with no user intervention."

I have a feeling that when I put in the other SD card and turned it on, it rewrote the embedded node software so that the nodes are no longer visible by the CPU. Now, when booting from the Star Wars SD, it is looking for the Node address of 1, 8, 9, 10 but can’t find them.

Does this sound like the problem? Is there is anyway to reprogram the nodes to Star Wars? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_5B0ED5F4F9A8-1 (resized).jpegIMG_5B0ED5F4F9A8-1 (resized).jpegIMG_6133E61A0D1A-1 (resized).jpegIMG_6133E61A0D1A-1 (resized).jpegIMG_CA57266A37D3-1 (resized).jpegIMG_CA57266A37D3-1 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Hopefully there's an easy solution here, I'd reach out to your distributor to see if they can help. You may also need to reach out to Stern technical support via phone or email, though apparently their response time *may* be a bit slow.

I'd also scour the Stern tech threads here, someone is likely to have run into a similar issue at some point.

Good luck!

One other thing: if you're trying the game with the coin door open, make sure to pull the coin door interlock switch out.

#3 2 years ago

Weird. So does the game play just fine after it boots except for the flashing white small screen? Like coils fire and stuff and lights all look correct? If so that would seem like node boards are actually communicating and being found.

IIRC, people were getting the messages about nodes missing when booting up with the coin door open, not sure if applicable for you.

A guy in the Star Wars Owner thread posted this awhile ago about having a white screen. He didn't post a resolution, but you could try asking in there too:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/128#post-4809886

Me, I'd do what Frunch suggests and email Stern tech support. I'd also go through their online support stuff and see if anything there would help (if you haven't already).

General Spike troubleshooting, should be able to tell if node boards are booting and communicating from led status:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/SPIKE-System-Manual.pdf

Star Wars Manual - Node board layout and how RJ-45 connections are supposed to flow, might be worth double-checking.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/StarWars_Pro_web.pdf

#4 2 years ago

Node updates are in a seperate file and are included with latest game code download. They are not included is the SD Image download, which is meant for replacing the SD card.

Just download the lastest version of the game code. You will see more than one file after unzipping the folder. The large download (about 2GB) is the game code, while the much smaller file is for the nodes.

Just copy both files onto a usb drive, stick the drive into the power downed machine's usb port, turn on the machine, and select "full install". You may get a few question prompts, but it should reinstall both files.

I learned about this after having a faulty install on Black Knight: SoR (defective USB drive). I redownloaded the updates on another usb drive and watched the full update process. Everything was back to normal after originally thinking I bricked the machine.

#5 2 years ago

frunch , yes, have tried it with the coin door open and also closed. I get the same behavior. Can't find the nodes. I have emailed support, waiting to hear back from them as well. Hoping they may have some insight into what I need to do.

@paul_8788, not the game does not play at all. No flippers, no noise, no lights, no buttons. I've had the coin door open and closed and both yield the same problem. It's like the node's aren't being picked up so no communication happens to them.

Shogun00 , I've downloaded the latest game code and have done a full install twice. Yes, there are three files (2 x 2GB and 1 x 361MB). After the full install, I still have the same problem. Not change in behavior.

#6 2 years ago

OK! Two ideas to check out.

1.) Reset the ethernet cables on Node 0. Those ethernet cable are the communication source to the nodes. They look crooked in your photo.

2.) Open the coin door and pull the interlock switch. This will give power to the secondary nodes while the coin door is open. Just want to make sure that the micro switch hasn't failed on you.

#7 2 years ago

Shogun00 , unplugged the ethernet cables on Node 0, opened coin door and pulled the interlock switch. The problem persists. No difference in behavior.

#8 2 years ago

I'm curious...

Can you verify the following are the steps you followed?
1. Copied code files to flash drive.
2. With machine off, inserted flash drive into one of the two USB ports on node zero.
3. Turned machine on.
4. Selected correct code and performed FULL/VERIFY code update.
5. Upon UPDATE SUCCESSFUL message: turned off game and removed flash drive.
6. Made sure coin door was closed (or interlock switch pulled out), then turned game back on.

This is the point when the game should update the node boards. Is this not happening?

#9 2 years ago

SKWilson , correct, I have followed those steps verbatim. My guess is node boards are not updating. Even though I copy all three files to the USB, when turning on the machine with the USB in there, it only gives me "1" option to update (STAR_WARS_PRO-1_10_0.SPK). You can see in the attached images.

Update finishes successfully, I then turn the machine off and remove the USB. Then turn the machine back on and there is no change.

IMG_3758 (resized).jpgIMG_3758 (resized).jpgIMG_3759 (resized).jpgIMG_3759 (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

The only other thing I can think of is that node 0 is not communicating with node 1 in the cabinet. Have you unplugged and reinserted the cables connected to node 1? (It's the one in the front left corner near the start button.) Unfortunately, that's as far as I can go. Hopefully, someone else can chime in. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for Stern tech support. I hope you are able to get it back up and running.

#11 2 years ago

I unplugged all cables from Node 1, reinserted and still same problem. Even scoured Node 1 to see if any burn spots and don't see any. Hopefully Stern will respond. Thank you for the suggestions.

#12 2 years ago

Did you try reseating the Ethernet cables to the CPU? The cable makes a loop.

#13 2 years ago

The only thing I can think of is a faulty interconnect switch.

Have you checked the connectors on the interconnect switch?

#14 2 years ago

I have a Ghostbusters that is doing the same thing. I’m in the process of trying to find a fix with Stern support. They asked me to try unplugging the Ethernet cables from the CPU in the backbox, but that didn’t help. I found unplugging the Ethernet cable from node board 9 under the game brought back node board 1, but that obviously isn’t a fix. Check the nodes under the game for anything that looks burned out, as I think I lost node 9 on my game and now it is not completing the chain to the other boards.

4445C924-819D-446B-AE12-50887FA677BB (resized).jpeg4445C924-819D-446B-AE12-50887FA677BB (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

I have a Ghostbusters that is doing the same thing. I’m in the process of trying to find a fix with Stern support. They asked me to try unplugging the Ethernet cables from the CPU in the backbox, but that didn’t help. I found unplugging the Ethernet cable from node board 9 under the game brought back node board 1, but that obviously isn’t a fix. Check the nodes under the game for anything that looks burned out, as I think I lost node 9 on my game and now it is not completing the chain to the other boards.[quoted image]

Do you have the stern topper? If so, open up the center and reseat the cables in there too.

#16 2 years ago

Long shot but try to find the code before 1.10 and install it. That might reflash the nodes at end of install. Im sure somebody around here still has it.

EDIT- I actually have .89 code from 2017 for a pro in my downloads still if you want it.

#17 2 years ago

Above has it

#18 2 years ago

One more thing to note. I went in and did a test on the Nodes.

Node 0 - No problems
Node 1 - Address Collision
Node 8 - Not Found
Node 9 - Not Found

Any ideas why Node 1 would have Address Collisions? I double-checked my dip switches on Node 0 (which was replaced) and all the dip switches are off (same as the stock Node 0 board).

IMG_3766 (resized).jpgIMG_3766 (resized).jpg
#19 2 years ago

Phbooms , if you have the code, it is worth a shot. Would appreciate it if you could provide.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from jmejia424:

Phbooms , if you have the code, it is worth a shot. Would appreciate it if you could provide.

Ill upload it to google drive and PM you with link

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Node updates are in a seperate file and are included with latest game code download. They are not included is the SD Image download, which is meant for replacing the SD card.

This is not correct. Both the code download (.spk) and SD images contain the correct node board firmware for that particular game release.

Quoted from Phbooms:

Long shot but try to find the code before 1.10 and install it. That might reflash the nodes at end of install. Im sure somebody around here still has it.

That won't matter.

Every time the game boots, it will compare each node board's version to the version of firmware coupled with the game release installed. If they differ, it will upgrade/downgrade as needed. There are a few exceptions where it can't downgrade the node boards.

Quoted from titanpenguin:

Did you try reseating the Ethernet cables to the CPU? The cable makes a loop.

Incorrect. The cables do not make a loop. The CPU is the hub, all boards are chained from any of the 3 CPU board connectors (all identical). Its not designed to be in a circle.

My suggestion:
- download the full SD card image from the website (https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/), burn it onto a fresh 8GB sd card with Etcher. Be sure to select the correct version (PRO vs PREMIUM/LE)
- Only have node 1 (the cabinet node) plugged into the CPU via the communication cable. Leave the playfield boards (node 8 and 9) disconnected.
- Boot with the new card image. It will complain about 8 and 9 being missing, but it will boot and should see node 1. If the firmware of 0 or 1 differs, it will upgrade/downgrade as needed.
- Repeat the process with 8 or 9 added to the sequence, but not both. Isolate it to a single issue/cable.

#22 2 years ago

What version of AIQ did you accidentally use? Was it 1.00 or 1.01? If it was 1.00 or earlier put in an AIQ 1.01 card let the boards update and then put in the Star Wars card and everything should be ok.

#23 2 years ago

Thanks to Stern Support, I can play Star Wars again!

Stern Support worked with me to get the issues resolved. There's an issue with AIQ 1.01 that would only be triggered in this odd case that prevents downgrading to the earlier version required by Star Wars 1.10. We used a recent Mandalorian release to update the node boards to a later version without this issue, then Star Wars was able to update the node boards again to its own version.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from jmejia424:

Thanks to Stern Support, I can play Star Wars again!

Awesome. I was wondering how you made out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 21.50
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Lorton, VA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,499 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

5,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.