• Latest reply 5 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Double Barrel score motor (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone. New to pinside; used to be somewhat active on RGP with probably mixed results.

Unit in question is in the collection of Athens Pinball Museum in Greece. It bears a badge stating it was assembled in Dublin, Ireland if that makes a difference.
It has not worked during the time I have been here, but is said to have worked recently.

Symptom: score motor starts with reset relay, then runs constantly and evidently can’t find home.

I suppose it is missing an impulse somewhere that should tell the score motor to stop. It pulses the 10.000 point stepper constantly. Said stepper ratchets normally either manually or by impulse. I have not inspected the ‘spider’ yet.

The switch stacks at the score motor appear at first glance to move as they should.

I do not have a schematic, and have not found one online in the usual places. The score motor is fairly simple, but many of the relay labels are missing or illegible. I would be curious to know if wms score motors of that era followed some kind of predictable format, or if they’re all strictly game specific

Thank you.

Nathan E. Kuhlman

#2 5 years ago

There are a few schematics on ipdb.org for Williams games of that era including '61 Double Barrel, '61 Hollywood and '55 Three Deuces. They seem to have the same basic setup for the score motor like this one from Double Barrel:
Double Barrel score motor (resized).jpgDouble Barrel score motor (resized).jpg
Typically there are a hand full of switches wired in parallel that can send power to the score motor. Without a schematic or reliable relay labels you have a little extra work to do but nothing crazy.

Essentially you need to find all of the switches that can send power to the score motor. The three schematics I found all have an 80/black wire on one of the score motor terminals and a 74/orange-green wire on the other. If your wiring is clean enough that you can identify wire colors, you need to trace the non-black wire from the score motor to all the switches it goes to. You can do this visually or use a meter with the power off.

Once you've identified the likely switches you can disable each one, one at a time, with a piece of folded paper slipped between its contacts. If you're lucky one of them when disabled will allow the score motor to stop. If that switch is stuck closed somehow you may be done once you've adjusted it to open and close properly. Keep in mind that the switch might be closed at the contacts, or at the solder tabs or shorted in some other way. If however the relay that drives the switch is active and closing the switch you'll need to figure out which relay it is, and what's sending power to it using the same process again.

/Mark

#3 5 years ago

Thank you for the guidance.

Fried step-up coil on the 100K unit. Still a little concerned to know what caused that. Probably over-thinking it.

NK

#4 5 years ago

Hi nkuhlman Welcome to pinside!

Clues and answers to most of your questions are on the schematic. I highly recommend you buy one.
http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/startup-sequence-1958-williams-satellite-woodrail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.