Topic poll

“Startrek TNG VS Twilight Zone”

• Startrek TNG 33 votes
    28%
  • Twilight Zone 84 votes
    72%

(117 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Startrek TNG VS Twilight Zone lets talk about your Choice!

#2 4 years ago

Can’t lose with either, but STTNG wins for me due to theme alone.

#3 4 years ago

This is a really tough one. TZ is one of the only games I regret selling vs a current game I love. Because of way that you can combine the power ball jackpot with the main multi-ball, I would say TZ. STTNG does have more flow, and I really like the STTNG theme integration with all of the customer original actor voice work, but TZ is just more timeless and holds up better 20+ years later as a theme. Two of the best games of all time.

#4 4 years ago

I think the poll needs a can’t decide option. I own both, they are side by side in my games room and I have this very dilemma every time I go to play. I’d say they are 50/50 as to which one I play first.

#5 4 years ago

TZ for me. To be honest when I owned them I wasn’t as much into learning the rules beyond the superficial level. I’d like to own both again. Both are great but TZ just seems better because I love the shots and magnet tricks.

#6 4 years ago

I honestly can't decide here. I've owned both and these are two games that I would consider buying again down the road. I may have to give the edge to STTNG, since I owned it for longer than TZ.

#7 4 years ago

Finally! A reasonable machine vs machine post. Usually these are apples vs dump trucks, but this is a realistic comparison. And as stated above, both are great games, so there is no wrong decision.

Twilight Zone. However, if someone else said TNG, they would also be right. That’s how close they are. So anyone that says “by a mile” or anything like that just has something they don’t personally care for in the other one. That’s all. So, I think this one really will come down to the call outs. Which game sings to you? Man, I’m not helping at all because they are both so good

#8 4 years ago

TZ for me I prefer the rule set and gameplay.

#9 4 years ago

star trek is a good 2 grand cheaper than twilight zone. I love and plan to own both but tz's current prices are a major deterrent from a lot of people's home.

#10 4 years ago

Both stellar titles. In tournament I would prefer STTNG and in a casual environment TZ

#11 4 years ago

For the price, flow and callouts STTNG is the absolute winner.
I do however think that TZ is the better machine due to its theme, toys, rules and there's more to shoot.
Both class A games so no choice is better than the other.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Both stellar titles. In tournament I would prefer STTNG and in a casual environment TZ

I have to disagree with this I play in many tournaments TZ with just the power ball in the gum ball does fine in tournaments. STTNG usually does bad in tournaments as people will either do two of the repetitive strategies shoot the warp ramp over and over or just keep shooting the right ramp over and over gaining points and lighting video mode.

#13 4 years ago

Both are great machines!! I have both however two STNG machines. One modded out bigtime including movie soundtrack and the other stock!

#14 4 years ago

STTNG and TZ. My first 2 pins, which I bought in a single transaction back in March 2013. I tore my biceps tendon getting STTNG into the van. Fortunately it was only a partial tear, and I never held a grudge.

6+ years later and I still own both pins. I agree with what's been said in this thread comparing and contrasting the 2 games, so I won't rehash. Both pins are so f-ing good!

The reality is I'll be selling both in the next couple months, as I downsize in a career move for the next chapter of life. If I were to keep one, it would be TZ. I'm a big fan of the STTNG show, and love the STTNG pin, but TZ gets the edge for me. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why. Both are masterpieces, and each has its own flavor. I just prefer the TZ flavor after 6 years.

#15 4 years ago

If I were to buy one it would be TZ. I enjoy the sounds, modes, gimmicks, and art package more.
However, as others have stated, STTNG is a great game as well. I enjoy playing them both.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Complete opposite for me. Would much rather have STTNG at home and TZ in tournaments. I've never played a single STTNG in a competitive environment that played worth a damn, but for some reason TZ is one of 'those games' that people will endlessly fawn over and shop out until it plays right, or at least passably.

STTNG is not, and it NEEDS just as much work as a TZ. Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've played STTNGs with flippers so weak they can't even shoot the ramps, or cannons don't work, or borg lock doesn't work...

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

STTNG usually does bad in tournaments as people will either do two of the repetitive strategies shoot the warp ramp over and over or just keep shooting the right ramp over and over gaining points and lighting video mode.

Exactly why STTNG is the most overrated playing pinball ever made.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Exactly why STTNG is the most overrated playing pinball ever made.

If you're (general 'you' not specifically YOU) doing either of these things to win in a tournament, you have no clue how the game works. And if the TD didn't disable Super Spinner so that Warp 4 or 6 or wherever it lights at matters, they're incompetent IMO.

I mean, let's at LEAST make the argument for the REAL 'exploit' in STTNG: Timing out modes to get to Final Frontier...so that you can get destroyed by someone that actually finished the modes, got the artifacts with the 500 million bonus and higher FF jackpots lol...

#19 4 years ago

TZ for me. I love the layout and the shots, 4 flippers, the power playfield, the gumball machine, the powerball, etc...

I have the third magnet mod on mien and that multiball startup sequence is really cool.

#20 4 years ago

Two of my all time favorites and I’ve owned both titles numerous times.

TZ if I was forced to chose one. Mode stacking gives it the edge in excitement IMO and the modes seem a little more varied.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

For the price, flow and callouts STTNG is the absolute winner.
I do however think that TZ is the better machine due to its theme, toys, rules and there's more to shoot.
Both class A games so no choice is better than the other.

+1. Price is a big factor for me. STTNG is probably best game for the money out there. I respect the theme integration but not really a big fan of the show. Modes are fun and it does have a decent wizard mode. Even though the cannons block the view of the huge outlanes, I do like their use in gameplay.

TZ is near perfect for me and worth extra money. Great theme, great code, fun shots, lots of features, 4 flippers, great use of magnets, fun quick modes, powerball, and great attention to detail. Always fun to play and great nostalgia for me. I even like how the pops are close to the left outlane. Only minor complaint would be that you are basically penalized for going for the skill shot on plunge.

I've heard stories on how both can be maintenance nightmares. My TZ needed some work when I got it but has been working great once I worked out issues. From my limited experience, it seems like all games are like that. In the end, I would say it comes down to which theme you like better.

#22 4 years ago

Side by side in my game room, both outstanding condition. Bought both in 2014.

2 of my favorites. Force me to give up one and I would probably choose to keep the TZ, mainly because another one would be harder to get and cost more to replace.

But love the game play of both. Never tire of either one.

#23 4 years ago

Both. I wont decide. They are both so good. In terms of which I plan to get first.....man......either of them. Itll depend on condition, price, and driving distance.....both such fantastic titles.

#24 4 years ago

I had TZ for 22 years. I love the theme. Loved the game

I bought STTNG 5 years ago because it was ranked high on Pinside, and I love Star Trek.
It was probably just that particular game, but with the outlanes, the way it played and the callouts, I sold it after 8 months.
That game has the distinction of being the one I've owned for the shortest amount of time...

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Mojojedi:

It was probably just that particular game, but with the outlanes, the way it played and the callouts, I sold it after 8 months.

They are all that way. That’s why you see guys who have owned STTNG 3 and 4 times....thinking the same thing but it never changes.

#26 4 years ago

Both are awesome. I like STTNG more in terms of theme, but Twilight Zone...man...that game is special.

#27 4 years ago

Can’t TZ and Star Trek just get along?

#28 4 years ago

Owned both. TZ is still here.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I have to disagree with this I play in many tournaments TZ with just the power ball in the gum ball does fine in tournaments. STTNG usually does bad in tournaments as people will either do two of the repetitive strategies shoot the warp ramp over and over or just keep shooting the right ramp over and over gaining points and lighting video mode.

1. The warp ramp is NOT a gimmie shot. In fact it’s very dangerous and rejects quite often.

2. Many leagues will turn off the video mode. But you only get $100M max on a single video mode and that isn’t much better than a good mode score.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Two of my all time favorites and I’ve owned both titles numerous times.
TZ if I was forced to chose one. Mode stacking gives it the edge in excitement IMO and the modes seem a little more varied.

Modes more varied? Most of the TZ modes are shoot the same shot over and over. If there was one thing I thought was weak on TZ, it was that the modes were kind of weak and boring. "shoot the clock" over and over, "shoot the slot machine" over and over, "shoot the spiral" over and over.

STTNG at least had story based modes for the most part and you get a reward (artifact) that helps with making the wizard mode being worth a ton.

#31 4 years ago

If I could only have 1 of my pins it would be TZ.

#32 4 years ago

TZ, just because STTNG can be so darn frustrating to play at times.

But, TZ can get somewhat repetitive after a while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 132.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/startrek-tng-vs-twilight-zone?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.