(Topic ID: 268260)

Starting to think this hobby isn't for me...

By Jasenwm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jasenwm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (68) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

I've been collecting and fixing arcade machines and consoles for years. I still have all the ones I played as a kid, I'm 43. I always loved pinball the most but found the expense was too much to own my own. Fast forward to the last few years and I have a good deal of disposable income so I jumped in and bought one,kings of steel, I loved that game. I did a lot of cosmetic work to it and changed a coil or two. I sold that for a pinbot and then sold that for a mars God of War. I recently picked up a Mr mrs pacman. After putting leds in the pac started giving me trouble and would barely turn on. I looked to this site and got alot of great advice on what maybe causing the issue. But then I found a haunted house in really good condition like 9/10. Went and picked that up and takes the guy down from 3,500 to 2,000! He just didn't have the room and was a older gentleman. This this was near New. New flippers, coils, serviced boards it looks and played great. I get it home excited as hell and boom, it turns on coins up but won't start a game. Again I turn to the pinside community for advice and I get some ideas. Still nothing. As I sit her watching my beautiful 2,000$ pinball machine do everything but play a game I feel defeated. I know it's an easy fix but it's so frustrating that I paid alot of money to me anyway for something I didn't even get to play once yet after having it home. Ughhh. I know I'm a little dramatic but dammit just work already wtf

Some days I feel just like you. I'm really rubbish at fixing these pins and I bought a few machines I honestly shouldn't have. I chalk those up to expensive lessons. Its frustrating. Because, pinball machines not only take up so much space, but also they take up time not just for repairs when they break, but you need to clean and wax them frequently too.

Since this lockdown began. I just did a few repairs on some of my machines. But, I mostly focused on playing video games. I think I needed a break from pinball. Anyway. Just take a break. Relax. And if need be, you might just have to pay someone around 200 dollars to come out and fix your machine. Small price in the long run to get a machine back running.

Sure learn how to do all the repairs you can, but when you can't figure it out, it might be time to pay someone for all the years of knowledge that they have.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is NIB in your future? Something under warranty?

I don't know man... I think NIB even under warranty can have crap you shouldn't have to deal with. I'm not knocking it. But, I've had issues with all 3 of the NIB I've bought. Still working on one with Elvira. The really battered sinbad I bought is the best running pin I've bought to date. And that is beaten to hell and my oldest pin. But, it has a new board on it. So that does make a bit of a difference.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

Buy a manual for it at Pinball Resource.A manual is very usefull for a Gottlieb.

A manual is always a great thing to have... Even if you don't work on machines yourself. That way if you do pay a tech to fix it, you'll know you will have at least one copy of the schematics and stuff. Can't expect all pinball repair people to have a manual for every machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-to-think-this-hobby-isn-t-for-me-?tu=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.