(Topic ID: 268260)

Starting to think this hobby isn't for me...

By Jasenwm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jasenwm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (68) (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I've been collecting and fixing arcade machines and consoles for years. I still have all the ones I played as a kid, I'm 43. I always loved pinball the most but found the expense was too much to own my own. Fast forward to the last few years and I have a good deal of disposable income so I jumped in and bought one,kings of steel, I loved that game. I did a lot of cosmetic work to it and changed a coil or two. I sold that for a pinbot and then sold that for a mars God of War. I recently picked up a Mr mrs pacman. After putting leds in the pac started giving me trouble and would barely turn on. I looked to this site and got alot of great advice on what maybe causing the issue. But then I found a haunted house in really good condition like 9/10. Went and picked that up and takes the guy down from 3,500 to 2,000! He just didn't have the room and was a older gentleman. This this was near New. New flippers, coils, serviced boards it looks and played great. I get it home excited as hell and boom, it turns on coins up but won't start a game. Again I turn to the pinside community for advice and I get some ideas. Still nothing. As I sit her watching my beautiful 2,000$ pinball machine do everything but play a game I feel defeated. I know it's an easy fix but it's so frustrating that I paid alot of money to me anyway for something I didn't even get to play once yet after having it home. Ughhh. I know I'm a little dramatic but dammit just work already wtf

#2 3 years ago

Did you put in a ball?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

I've been collecting and fixing arcade machines and consoles for years. I still have all the ones I played as a kid, I'm 43. I always loved pinball the most but found the expense was too much to own my own. Fast forward to the last few years and I have a good deal of disposable income so I jumped in and bought one,kings of steel, I loved that game. I did a lot of cosmetic work to it and changed a coil or two. I sold that for a pinbot and then sold that for a mars God of War. I recently picked up a Mr mrs pacman. After putting leds in the pac started giving me trouble and would barely turn on. I looked to this site and got alot of great advice on what maybe causing the issue. But then I found a haunted house in really good condition like 9/10. Went and picked that up and takes the guy down from 3,500 to 2,000! He just didn't have the room and was a older gentleman. This this was near New. New flippers, coils, serviced boards it looks and played great. I get it home excited as hell and boom, it turns on coins up but won't start a game. Again I turn to the pinside community for advice and I get some ideas. Still nothing. As I sit her watching my beautiful 2,000$ pinball machine do everything but play a game I feel defeated. I know it's an easy fix but it's so frustrating that I paid alot of money to me anyway for something I didn't even get to play once yet after having it home. Ughhh. I know I'm a little dramatic but dammit just work already wtf

It could be as simple as the ball isn't in the trough. Maybe it stuck somewhere during the move. Gottliebs wont start if there is no ball.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Did you put in a ball?

Yeah the ball is in there. I even took the ball. Out and rolled it back in there a few times to see if it would sense it. It doesn't have free play so I have to hit the coin mech inside the door to get credits. Don't know if that matters its just annoying how it workes perfect when I played it at the sellers and I turned it off and an a few times there to test it.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

Yeah the ball is in there. I even took the ball. Out and rolled it back in there a few times to see if it would sense it. It doesn't have free play so I have to hit the coin mech inside the door to get credits. Don't know if that matters its just annoying how it workes perfect when I played it at the sellers and I turned it off and an a few times there to test it.

Something possibly shook loose in the move? Did you disconnect any cables to move the game?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

Some days I feel just like you. I'm really rubbish at fixing these pins and I bought a few machines I honestly shouldn't have. I chalk those up to expensive lessons. Its frustrating. Because, pinball machines not only take up so much space, but also they take up time not just for repairs when they break, but you need to clean and wax them frequently too.

Since this lockdown began. I just did a few repairs on some of my machines. But, I mostly focused on playing video games. I think I needed a break from pinball. Anyway. Just take a break. Relax. And if need be, you might just have to pay someone around 200 dollars to come out and fix your machine. Small price in the long run to get a machine back running.

Sure learn how to do all the repairs you can, but when you can't figure it out, it might be time to pay someone for all the years of knowledge that they have.

#7 3 years ago

This hobby is not for the faint of heart. You talked the guy down but did not try the machine on the spot before taking it? (If I am reading your post correctly) There are plenty of good guys that can try and help trouble shoot it for free. Sometimes you have to pay to have something fixed by a pro if you can't figure it out.

Don't give up. There are going to be plenty of days like this depending of what price and condition you buy stuff at.

#8 3 years ago

Owning a game is not a requirement of the hobby. Sounds like you were fine until you started buying games.

Haunted House is an almost 40 year old System 80. If you had done your homework, you would've learned that System 80's can be a bear to keep working. Even moving them can cause issues, as you've now learned.

I would suggest testing all the fuses to start. If good, I would check all the switches in switch test. You say the ball is in the trough, but you need to see if the games sees it there.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

yeah prob not the hobby for you if you get that frustrated over stuff like this. its part of owning pinballs.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasenwm:

You've got a $1500 budget from what you saved to pay someone to fix it. You can probably pay a tech to get it working next week for a quarter of that and you're still $1125 ahead of the game with your game working.

#11 3 years ago

Reseat connectors, look for broken wires.

#12 3 years ago

If it worked at his house, it is likely something minor. I don't know much about Gottliebs, but see if the ball trough switch works in test mode. Hang in there...post a help thread and work through it. Every fix gives you a little more knowledge.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

If it worked at his house, it is likely something minor. I don't know much about Gottliebs, but see if the ball trough switch works in test mode. Hang in there...post a help thread and work through it. Every fix gives you a little more knowledge.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-won-t-boot-

I have least experience with GTB SS machines so I'm probably of little use.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Something possibly shook loose in the move? Did you disconnect any cables to move the game?

Yeah I had to take off the head

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from bigchief99:

This hobby is not for the faint of heart. You talked the guy down but did not try the machine on the spot before taking it? (If I am reading your post correctly) There are plenty of good guys that can try and help trouble shoot it for free. Sometimes you have to pay to have something fixed by a pro if you can't figure it out.
Don't give up. There are going to be plenty of days like this depending of what price and condition you buy stuff at.

No I tried it before I bought it that's why this is so frustrating because I know it works and it's a simple fix I just hate I can't figure it out

#16 3 years ago

Is NIB in your future? Something under warranty?

#17 3 years ago

So I know I was being a drama queen and throwing a tantrum but, the guy I bought it from just referred me to guy who fixes pins. After talking to him I learned alot actually all about the different switches that need to be open, etc. So he is coming Monday to check it out. I'm eager to learn I just hate like I'm sure all. Of you when a game sits not working. Thank you guys for all the advice! I'll keep you posted!

#18 3 years ago

do you have a working game or do you just have the space for one machine?
keeping one game running while fixing a second can keep your spirits high

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

do you have a working game or do you just have the space for one machine?
keeping one game running while fixing a second can keep your spirits high

Yeah I have a mars God of War, and rescue 911 that work. My Mr mrs pacman and haunted house are my non working ones

#20 3 years ago

It's something simple, trust me. Go back through all your connectors and make sure there seated good. Also make sure that you didn't miss any when plugging them back in as there is a lot to plug in on that game since you took the head off. Also make sure you didn't switch colored connectors around, in other words that the blacks to the blacks, blues to blue or whatever...
One question since I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not but does it come up in attract mode at least? Need more info.

John

#21 3 years ago

Whoops. Just read that it coins up so thats a good thing. Get into a switch test and see if the ball trough is working correctly and that the credit/game start button is activating.

John

#22 3 years ago

Why do you think the guy let you hack him down 1500 bucks.....

I had a haunted house and I had random troubles until I did all if the ground mods..then it worked great very dependable.
It is a very fun game.
You took off the head. Make sure everything is reseated in the correct connector.
It's always a fuse on that game

#23 3 years ago

System 80s are notorious for ground issues. Read up on System 80 ground mods. Good grounds fixed 99% of the issues I've had with System 80 pins. Moving a pin with questionable grounds and it not working right after setting back up sounds totally reasonable and likely.

Here's some info on ground mods: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-haunted-house-ground-mod

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is NIB in your future? Something under warranty?

I don't know man... I think NIB even under warranty can have crap you shouldn't have to deal with. I'm not knocking it. But, I've had issues with all 3 of the NIB I've bought. Still working on one with Elvira. The really battered sinbad I bought is the best running pin I've bought to date. And that is beaten to hell and my oldest pin. But, it has a new board on it. So that does make a bit of a difference.

#25 3 years ago

I've owned 3 Haunted Houses. It is a great pin...and GORGEOUS.
It sounds like it is extremely close to working. Im sure your tech will have it and pacman up and running soon. Don't fret.

There has been some awesome advice in here so far. Since you have someone coming over to look at it, you might just want to sit tight and not mess with it, but you can definitely go line through line on the posts here to give it a shot.
If/when the tech comes over, be sure to watch what he does and ask questions so you can learn. It will be invaluable.

#26 3 years ago

dont be talkin crazy shit about giving up!..stick with it on this pin as its great game to add to your collection.much info and help you can get on pinside as well as the internet on haunted house..do the grounds as mentioned and you will eliminate much of your worry on this pin.many of us feel the same way at times when things dont work when we get our pins home after buying..bought ours from a great pinsider years ago on a great deal.my son went and picked it up for me.1 mile from buyers house a car slammed into the back of my sons van.game worked perfect before this at buyers house.got it home and sound no longer worked.i freaked out and was ready to throw in the towel on the deal..forced me to learn how to find and fix problems on other older gottlieb 80 and 80B games..like daditude mention..watch the tech and learn and you will be fine ..good luck

#27 3 years ago

Are you sure it's not the famous slam switch issue in the coin door?

#28 3 years ago

You should take pictures of the boards and post. If you had to take the head off there could easily be a connector in the wrong place or not connected at all.
With pictures, you'll get more help from Pinsiders.
I'd lift up that playfield one more time and look for a connector you may have missed.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Holy shit! This is a strong possibility. My Gottlieb Spirit had the exact same problem. Drove me nuts for days. A friend came over and fixed it in 5 minutes.

Post a photo of the inside of the coin door as well. Great point vdojaq!

#30 3 years ago

I know how you feel when you are so excited get a new pin home and it will not start a game. You are correct it will be a simple fix in the end.
I am no expert but here is a good link I use as well:
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#31 3 years ago

Buy a manual for it at Pinball Resource.A manual is very usefull for a Gottlieb.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

Buy a manual for it at Pinball Resource.A manual is very usefull for a Gottlieb.

A manual is always a great thing to have... Even if you don't work on machines yourself. That way if you do pay a tech to fix it, you'll know you will have at least one copy of the schematics and stuff. Can't expect all pinball repair people to have a manual for every machine.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

dont be talkin crazy shit about giving up!..

This is some great advice Joe E. Bitterman. Now go look into a mirror and keep repeating this to yourself over and over. After that, go out to your barn and finish your “Freaking“ game room you lazy one eyed piece of shit!

#34 3 years ago
images (68) (resized).jpegimages (68) (resized).jpeg
#35 3 years ago

Might I suggest an alternative?
Rather than giving up, sell a bunch of your arcade and consoles games and buy more pins.

#36 3 years ago

I apologize in advance..
With all due respect, looks like you have 4 machines and have had them for around 4 years?
I’m new to this hobby, I think I’m coming up on a year- Just recently bought my 3rd machine. Last night, I was stone drunk and the ball launcher on my just purchased MSF was sending every single ball STDM.
Did I write a post about getting f’ed by the seller and spending a bunch of money? No.
My drunk brain did the logical thing and tore the machine open to replace the stripped screw on the askew target. (What a hassle, had to remove one of the lighting boards to get to it, a hell of a task when you’re 6 tall boys deep).
I pray to allah there’s a post about your machine not working in the tech forums- not just this one caterwauling about what machines do best- break down.
I went nuts deep on my first machine, learned things the hard way. I know that I don’t have enough money to pay someone to fix my shit, sounds like you don’t either.
Open the machine up and get started, it’s the only way. If you don’t want to do that, then yeah. Maybe the hobby ISN’T for you after all.

#37 3 years ago

I recently bought a can of worms, a WCS. Voltage jumper set at the wrong voltage so the coils would fire etc and flippers too powerful.
Changed to correct voltage and coils weak as fuck. Go through it all and no joy so it’s out with the power board and in with a spare, bingo back to life.
Looked at original board and br3 has 2 pins with no solder in like it had been desoldered,WTF. Still had 72v at coils but no oomph. Few more things to sort and all will be good.

I believe in karma, it makes me smile.

Take your time and don’t stress. Plenty of help here.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

I apologize in advance..
With all due respect, looks like you have 4 machines and have had them for around 4 years?
I’m new to this hobby, I think I’m coming up on a year- Just recently bought my 3rd machine. Last night, I was stone drunk and the ball launcher on my just purchased MSF was sending every single ball STDM.
Did I write a post about getting f’ed by the seller and spending a bunch of money? No.
My drunk brain did the logical thing and tore the machine open to replace the stripped screw on the askew target. (What a hassle, had to remove one of the lighting boards to get to it, a hell of a task when you’re 6 tall boys deep).
I pray to allah there’s a post about your machine not working in the tech forums- not just this one caterwauling about what machines do best- break down.
I went nuts deep on my first machine, learned things the hard way. I know that I don’t have enough money to pay someone to fix my shit, sounds like you don’t either.
Open the machine up and get started, it’s the only way. If you don’t want to do that, then yeah. Maybe the hobby ISN’T for you after all.

Quoted from Jasenwm:

So I know I was being a drama queen and throwing a tantrum but, the guy I bought it from just referred me to guy who fixes pins. After talking to him I learned alot actually all about the different switches that need to be open, etc. So he is coming Monday to check it out. I'm eager to learn I just hate like I'm sure all. Of you when a game sits not working. Thank you guys for all the advice! I'll keep you posted!

There’s a reason this hobby attracts the Alphas. Embrace the repair side ALONG with the play side and you’ll see why.

Buy roll around carts, they’ll fill with tools, testers, spare parts quickly. It’ll be a fun ride.

#39 3 years ago

If you took an older/elderly man down $1500 for a machine that you describe as 9/10 condition, then you deserve what you get.
Welcome to your first lesson of Karma from the pinball gods.
Knowing that it was working at sellers house and now after transport/set-up it is not, that means it is something you are over looking.
Always take pics of the boards in backbox if it's a machine you're unfamiliar with, that way you have a reference for re-connecting everything.
If you need a manual I can send one over.
-Mike

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

This is some great advice Joe E. Bitterman. Now go look into a mirror and keep repeating this to yourself over and over. After that, go out to your barn and finish your “Freaking“ game room you lazy one eyed piece of shit!

well good morning mike..always a treat to hear from you..wish my problem with this shop were as simple as fixing a HH...as you know back at home i had more than a few avenues and friends to help me with almost anything to do with our old shop or pinball..what maybe 100 or more pinsiders within 10 miles of the shop..even had some asshole who offered security cameras and plan to keep out thieves back home.. here..1-active pinsider in 35 miles of this new shop and he did not answer my welcome email..no power.. so impossible to even start a shop here...

#41 3 years ago

Owned a Black Hole for a while. During that ownership I learned how to test and replace fuses, resistors, capacitors, and diodes. Learned everything about replacing coils and mechs. Became a master at soldering to include working on boards. Achieved a beginner's to medium level of reading schematics. All in all I learned 2 big things. 1) how to find a problem in a pinball machine and 2) Never own a Gottlieb system 80 again.

#42 3 years ago

On the plus side at least your not looking at a $3500 paperweight. All kidding aside you knocked the seller down $1500 for a game you describe as 9/10 and pristine.

I wouldn’t have thrown a fit on pinside i would have just got a tech round and paid a few hundred bucks to get it sorted and still be thinking all in all I got a great deal. If I’d paid full price and then had an issue I couldn’t fix yeah that would suck no doubt!

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

2) Never own a Gottlieb system 80 again.

Preach it brother!
The sys80s always get the best of me

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'll tell you I learned more in one day about pinball then I have ever so this is actually a positive

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

On the plus side at least your not looking at a $3500 paperweight. All kidding aside you knocked the seller down $1500 for a game you describe as 9/10 and pristine.
I wouldn’t have thrown a fit on pinside i would have just got a tech round and paid a few hundred bucks to get it sorted and still be thinking all in all I got a great deal. If I’d paid full price and then had an issue I couldn’t fix yeah that would suck no doubt!

LOL yeah I was having a tantrum. This Corona bs is getting to me!

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Owned a Black Hole for a while. During that ownership I learned how to test and replace fuses, resistors, capacitors, and diodes. Learned everything about replacing coils and mechs. Became a master at soldering to include working on boards. Achieved a beginner's to medium level of reading schematics. All in all I learned 2 big things. 1) how to find a problem in a pinball machine and 2) Never own a Gottlieb system 80 again.

Black hole and HH are my two favorite games I'm doomed!

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Might I suggest an alternative?
Rather than giving up, sell a bunch of your arcade and consoles games and buy more pins.

I like the way you think!

#48 3 years ago

Yes the more pins you get the more you will learn happy flipping

#49 3 years ago

So this guy couldn't fix it but he gave me another guy who maybe able to

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-to-think-this-hobby-isn-t-for-me- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.