Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PAPPYBALL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190711_221732 (resized).jpg
    20190703_204758 (resized).jpg
    20190711_221652 (resized).jpg
    20190711_221714 (resized).jpg
    20190710_165915 (resized).jpg
    20190710_165832 (resized).jpg
    20190710_165856 (resized).jpg
    20190710_165826 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

While i patiently watch the price of lumber crawl its way back down, i’m starting to plan out a few things. In the area where my pins are now, i have room for 13; 6 on one wall and 7 on the opposing wall. 13 is also my favourite number. No i did not spell that wrong lol.

Reason for this post is to get some insight on what others have done in terms of electrical design. I have searched and one thing i didn’t come across was anything related to receptacle height. Usually i would just use the height of my hammer to set the height and keep consistency. But is there a more optimal way when laying out an area specific to pins?

I have 2x 200amp panels coming into the house, with lots of room to add more circuits. I’ll probably go with 4 pins per 20amp circuit (with 12ga runs) which is probably a little overkill but the distance to the panels isn’t that far.

I would like the cords to be neat when i’m done, but do not like receptacles in the ceiling. I might make these switched receptacles, and unlikely i will use smart outlets as my internet service where i live is complete trash. Maybe I’ll install a small subpanel and use breakers to turn on the games for the authentic arcade feel.

#2 1 year ago

I have 8 20amp circuits in my arcade dedicated to just my games. 1 light switch per 20amp circuit, so 8 light switches for the 8 circuits. For lighting, I have 16 4ft fluorescent bulbs. 8 white, 8 blacklight. White lights have 1 light switch, black lights have 1 light switch. The lights are on a separate circuit from the games. Have 25 games (all I have room for around the perimeter (no games in middle of the room). Have about 25 outlets. There is one like every 3 ft I believe. Plus one in the ceiling in the middle just in case.

#3 1 year ago
    20190703_204758 (resized).jpg20190703_204758 (resized).jpg20190710_165826 (resized).jpg20190710_165826 (resized).jpg20190710_165832 (resized).jpg20190710_165832 (resized).jpg20190710_165856 (resized).jpg20190710_165856 (resized).jpg20190710_165915 (resized).jpg20190710_165915 (resized).jpg20190711_221652 (resized).jpg20190711_221652 (resized).jpg20190711_221714 (resized).jpg20190711_221714 (resized).jpg20190711_221732 (resized).jpg20190711_221732 (resized).jpg
    #4 1 year ago

But, those neon signs and other lit-up wall goodies need outlets up high as well??

#5 1 year ago

I put my outlets at backbox height so you don’t see the power cords. All that’s on the floor is what is required by code.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I have 2x 200amp panels coming into the house, with lots of room to add more circuits. I’ll probably go with 4 pins per 20amp circuit (with 12ga runs) which is probably a little overkill but the distance to the panels isn’t that far.

In my opinion this is not overkill, little extra cost for a flexible system with lots of power.

Quoted from Completist:

Usually i would just use the height of my hammer to set the height and keep consistency. But is there a more optimal way when laying out an area specific to pins?

Mine are installed this way to be consistent in the house. I wouldn't install them higher up as things change - I had an outlet behind a wall mounted tv that is a wall scab now because I put a pin along the wall and removed the TV. Had to cover it up with a blank plate until I can remove and patch.

Code dictates how often along the wall (12 feet) but not the height, so if you want to go higher you can without adding extra outlets.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

I have 8 20amp circuits in my arcade dedicated to just my games. 1 light switch per 20amp circuit, so 8 light switches for the 8 circuits. For lighting, I have 8 4ft fluorescent bulbs. 4 white, 4 blacklight. White lights have 1 light switch, black lights have 1 light switch. The lights are on a separate circuit from the games. Have 25 games (all I have room for around the perimeter (no games in middle of the room). Have about 25 outlets. There is one like every 3 ft I believe. Plus one in the ceiling in the middle just in case.

I like your blacklight carpet. I was also considering adding one in the pinball area. I assume you use the blacklights when playing and the white fluorescents when servicing your games. This is a good idea. I like to play with the lights off to avoid any overhead glare.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

In my opinion this is not overkill, little extra cost for a flexible system with lots of power.

Mine are installed this way to be consistent in the house. I wouldn't install them higher up as things change - I had an outlet behind a wall mounted tv that is a wall scab now because I put a pin along the wall and removed the TV. Had to cover it up with a blank plate until I can remove and patch.
    Code dictates how often along the wall (12 feet) but not the height, so if you want to go higher you can without adding extra outlets.

I have a pretty good space downstairs, but you are right. I might change where i arrange the lineup. As of now i was going to keep it simple. Pinball area, workshop, wet bar, a bathroom, and then a larger game area / lounge. Not going to out in a home theatre or anything like that. I picked up an architect software program so will draw it up and post that when i get to that point.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I like your blacklight carpet. I was also considering adding one in the pinball area. I assume you use the blacklights when playing and the white fluorescents when servicing your games. This is a good idea. I like to play with the lights off to avoid any overhead glare.

Yep that is the idea. Although sometimes I play with both sets of lights on. Depends on the game I am playing and my mood. I do not get any playfield glare at all, luckily.

4 months later
    #11 1 year ago

THOSE OUTLETS! NICE!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-to-plan-my-finished-gameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.