Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Medic
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3214F7C1-AAF4-41BD-A534-4EE46703A864.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the worst thing a person can do for their first game is buy a brand new or expensive game.

A true test if this hobby is for you is to buy broken and fix it up.

That or be okay with having to pay someone else to always fix your games.

If you decide that you want to learn to fix your own games, there’s tons of help out there. If I can do it, anyone can.

#11 3 years ago

Broken could be anything. Notice I didn’t say basket case. Buy something that mostly works and make it yours. You’ll have to give it attention immediately and it will really show you if you’re willing to do the dirty work. That’s most of the battle right there.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I agree, part of the enjoyment of this hobby is taking a basket case and turning it into a working machine. But I would be an exception to the rule because I had worked in the electronics field for almost 40 years.

I’m an accountant. My first game was baby Pac-Man and I had to spend an hour on the phone with my uncle so he could talk me through how to change a light bulb in the game because I was so clueless and scared. We all have to start somewhere.

Then just do lots of research and you’ll eventually see that these manufacturers leave a lot to be desired in the customer service dept in most cases. So if you buy new, you’ll already know the risks.

Lots of new collectors don’t realize this especially when they dive head first into new games without much research. You’d think brand new games would be the best bet and be reliable, but unfortunately, they aren’t all the time, and in some cases you’re on your own to fix them.

#62 3 years ago

Yep. People get PISSED in this hobby if they even lose 20% on a game they bought when they sell. That doesn’t exist in other hobbies that put wear and tear on the collectibles.

#84 3 years ago

It’s easy. If you’re cool with paying others to fix your games, buy whatever and understand those expenses can add up quick and availability of techs may be lacking.

If you don’t want that, you’re going to have to learn. Best way to learn is right away before you’ve dumped tons of money into the hobby.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-to-lose-interest-in-pinball?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.