Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Medic
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3214F7C1-AAF4-41BD-A534-4EE46703A864.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexanr1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oy this is terrible advice, and unpopular indeed! Well not all of it. But I would never recommend starting with a project game, sounds brutal.
    I always say start with something that works 100 percent and don't worry, it'll break soon enough, and you can deal with the issues one at a time and learn rather than brutalizing yourself by trying to get a basket case working.
    But yeah, it's hard not to be disappointed when you enter the hobby by dropping $50,000 on brand new expensive games and then getting upset when they don't just "work" like your new TV does.

I have bought 1 machine out of the dozens that was TRULY 100% working. It’s not because the seller disclosed the problems, I typically would get there and see the dot or run diagnostics. My point is that most sellers I have seen are parting with a machine because they can’t fix them. Just my take over the past 25 years. Don’t get me wrong there are people selling truly 100% working machines, just very uncommon for me to see.

#50 3 years ago

Came to see if this turned into a FS thread

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

I can understand how people get into the hobby because they played pinball as
    a kid and now have the scratch to own one themselves. Thats cool. But like many
    other hobbies (arcade games, classic cars, airplanes, old radios) if you're not
    willing to learn how to fix your own stuff, be ready to pay others a LOT to
    do the work. As many here have discovered, learning these skills can be as
    much fun and rewarding in other ways as playing. Might even get you into
    (gasp) EM's and those evil bingos.
    All of this is a matter of exploring a hobby more deeply than just knocking
    balls around.

I actually started with an EM and then worked into SS. The EM’s aren’t bad just different. The one bingo I had was very scary! Amazing mechanical machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexanr1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-to-lose-interest-in-pinball?tu=alexanr1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.