1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by SirScott
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering in this never ending world on Pinball, where do you start? I'm looking to get my first PIN soon. I have a basement that is crying out for some sort of entertainment.

What do you guys / gals think is a really great starting machine? Obviously it would be something not super expensive or rare but an overall great player that can be had for a decent price.

I do certainly have my preferences but they all seem out of my price range. Since I'm not very mechanically handy, a super fixer upper wouldn't be great.

I've already met a few people on here and this seems like a wonderful place to gain knowledge and advice.

thanks,
    Zed

#2 1 year ago

Find somewhere local to play, and also find someone local who can help you out. Buying your first pin can be exciting and intimidating at the same time. My advice: buy a pin for $1000-$2500 that’s fully working and start from there. Don’t be afraid to work on it and get your hands dirty. If you have any problems, there’s lots of help here on pinside

#3 1 year ago

Let's get ahead of the game here and start talking about games 2 and 3.

Really tho beware the pincrack it's addictive.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Let's get ahead of the game here and start talking about games 2 and 3.
    Really tho beware the pincrack it's addictive.

lol! I know right. Well I mean I could certainly see 2 and 3 being maybe an Elvira or Elm Street I'm very attracted to horror or sci-fi games. I know PINBOT is a no-brainer as well but for a first machine its a bit out of my price range. I did see a decent Paragon that needs some work but the $$$ to work ratio wasn't making sense.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropDeadZed:

lol! I know right. Well I mean I could certainly see 2 and 3 being maybe an Elvira or Elm Street I'm very attracted to horror or sci-fi games.

My advice is to buy games you like to play, not because of the theme. You have the Elvira games which are great, but then somehting like Elm Street is one of the worst modern machines ever made.
    2000 is a bit on the bubble of 1980 games and DMD era stuff. I would save up a bit more as you wait look around and get toi the 2500 area there might be more to choose from. Unless of course you find something good.

#6 1 year ago

After buying and selling for about 5 years I've concluded that for me theme comes first. It doesn't matter how fun a pin is, if the theme isn't for me then I don't enjoy it. WOZ was a very fun pin to play but the theme wasn't for me so I sold it. Good theme plus boring gameplay doesn't work either. It has to have both for me. STTNG was my #1 theme of all time but I didn't enjoy playing it, my wife and kids didn't either so we sold it.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

After buying and selling for about 5 years I've concluded that for me theme comes first.

STTNG was my #1 theme of all time but I didn't enjoy playing it, my wife and kids didn't either so we sold it.

#8 1 year ago

Read what I wrote again. I said that it has to have both - THEME plus gameplay that I enjoy. If it doesn't have both it gets sold. These things are just too expensive to collect dust and not get played. Just my 2 cents.

#9 1 year ago

Good theme plus boring gameplay doesn't work either. It has to have both for me. STTNG was my #1 theme of all time but I didn't enjoy playing it, my wife and kids didn't either so we sold it.

#10 1 year ago

Welcome to the Pinside & the addiction!

Good advice above...…

Check Pinside/CL/Estate Sales/FB Marketplace-there will be lots of machines for sale in your area...…

$1000-1500 should get you a decent first machine.....make sure its working 100% if you don't want to get your hands dirty....

Make more room in the basement....I started off just over a year ago with 2 I bought from an estate sale and im up to 7 now....lol These machines tend to multiply!

#11 1 year ago

Read what I wrote again.

Yes it was poorly written by you I know.

#12 1 year ago

High speed was one of my first pins and think that might be good choice and in your price range.

#13 1 year ago

Find a pin between 1500-2500 and make sure you pay between pin side price guidelines...

If it’s working you can’t get hurt.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropDeadZed:

I do certainly have my preferences but they all seem out of my price range. Since I'm not very mechanically handy, a super fixer upper wouldn't be great.

thanks,
    Zed

you are right here
    get a working game, projects can come later.

make a list of games you like, focusing only on one game will cause you to spend too much

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside