Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am a novice to Pinball repair but I have recently acquired a Gottlieb Royal Flush 1976 pinball machine that powers on and the lights come on but the score motor starts running as soon as the machine is powered on and does not stop. Pressing the Start button on the machine does nothing. I have started researching and have learned some valuable information and am starting to get a greater knowledge of what is going on and should be happening, but I have not been able to fix this problem yet.

Update: When powered on the Tilt Hold Relay (H), 1st Ball Relay (U) are set off.
Last Ball Relay (BX) goes on and off.

I figured why not try posting to a forum and see if I could get some results there while doing research.

Thanks,
Kent

Post edited by kenta12 : More Information

#2 6 years ago

kent...

if you haven't already found it, this website is the best place to start...

http://www.pinrepair.com/

the only initial comment i have is that the issue is likely not with the score motor itself, but something else is causing it to continue to run... others with far more 'sperience than i will chime in shortly, no doubt...

hang in there... between clay's site and the guys here, you'll get it working..

edit: do you have a schematic? if not, order yourself one from pinball resource... it will help immensely, as this won't be the only issue you ever have with the machine..

chris

ps... great game, btw...

#3 6 years ago

Had this problem on a Gottlieb Joker Poker EM years ago. My repair log mentions the score motor kept running upon power-up. The solution was that the AX relay was in the latched postion. I manually tripped AXR (AX reset relay) with the game off to release AX, and the score motor stopped turning. Not sure if the relay layout is the same in a 1976, but it's worth a try for you to check this.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I am in the process of obtaining a schematic as I just received the machine yesterday. I have found www.pinrepair.com very useful.

It appears this machine does not have the reset relays. I have attached a couple of photos of the insides of the machine. The more research I am doing is leading me to believe that the AX/BX relays can be the problem. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks.

IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG

#5 6 years ago

Check the switches for the coin mechs on the coin door to make sure they are not shorting together. I had the same problem on another gottlieb EM of this era and that solved the problem.

#6 6 years ago

I am now able to get the score motor to stop by following Enzo's suggestion but then when I press the Start button it goes back into where it was when it was first turned on. Before pressing the start button I can put coins in and receive credits. So the coin mechs seem to be alright. Whenever pressing start though the credits go down to 1 no matter how many there are before pressing. I thought this was strange. Is there something wrong with the AX relay or would this suggest that the problem is elsewhere. I am already making progress which makes me feel good, thanks for all of your help.

Kent

#7 6 years ago

You need to look at the credit unit in the games head (where the number of credits show). This unit has two coils with plungers, gears, and a spring wound around the center spindle. Check the following:

1). Manually press the plunger on the credit advance coil to add games. Then press the decrement plunger (the other coil on the this unit) See if it takes only one credit off as it should, or jumps to zero. If it jumps to zero, the pivot arm that rachets back onto a gear to only allow one game to come off is likely sticking and not moving to stop the gear. Check that this pivot arm has a spring on it that is not broken or missing. Everything should move freely on this unit when you "step" the coils either way. Many times someone lubed this unit and it gets all gummed up.

2) If only only game comes off when you manually step it, then check for broken wires, dirty or broken contacts on the unit which may not be letting the game know a credit was subtracted. I would really check this credit unit out first before looking elsewhere.

6 years later
#8 45 days ago

I'm going way back! Reviving a 6 year old thread!

I'm experiencing the same issue on my CCM Fleetwood bowler. I checked the credit unit. Cleaned it a little, but seems ok(ish). I tested all coils and pulled and checked fuses. No apparent broken or loose wires.

I did notice one screw is stripped on the contact, so maybe that's playing a part.

When I went to the coin door I ran a resistance check by connecting both lugs of each coin contact unit. The nickel shows the opposite result of the dime and the quarter. I'm thinking this indicates an issue.

Any ideas?

#9 44 days ago

Issue resolved. Found a relay switch out of place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 19.95
$ 39.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside