7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Very little pinball around here, so I'm thinking about starting a weekly league this winter. I have 10 machines that would be available to play, and am thinking I would like to have about 6-8 people in the league.

The league would be made up of friends/friends of friends, and of all skill levels. If I were to run the league for 6-8 weeks, what is a good format to have stakes, but also not harshly penalize players that don't play a ton?

#2 7 months ago

harshly penalize... Not really certain I understand that question. Just use this: https://league.papa.org

Our league has been using it for 5 seasons and it's the easiest. An additional suggestion though, have people record scores down on paper/spreadsheet first. It holds them accountable and helps keep things accurate.

The FSPA software/web solution is great. It allows you to change game point value, bonus points, and keeps very good stats on who is beating who, ect.

Also, you would be surprised how many people would be interested in playing, if they only knew that there was a local league. Since our league started, there are at least three additional leagues here in Cincy.

#3 7 months ago

I run a Head-2-Head league here in ATL. We rotate through private homes since there aren't many locations here.

We play 1-on-1 round robin so everyone plays everyone else each week. There is a lot of socializing for those who want it, and not a lot of waiting around between balls like there is with groups of 4. You total up the # of wins for the month and crown a winner.

We target about 2 1/2 hours of play time each week, and do that with 14-16 players. With only 6-8 players, you may want to play a double round.

Sessions are organized by the month, and you score your best 3 of the 4 weeks to get your total wins. I'd recommend shorter sessions than 8 weeks, as it is easier for people to commit for a shorter span than a long one. Also people can't get too far behind if you have fewer sessions, or drop one.

You'll be surprised how quickly the 'underskilled' players improve and become competitive in a league.

I use matchplay to do all the pairings, enter scores, and track the season results. It's a lot of work to organize the event, host and maintain the games, and keep score. So let the players and the software do it for you.

GL and just remember it's supposed to be fun.

#4 7 months ago

I think that you will find that once people start participating in a league, everyone will have fun regardless of skill level. Don't accept the "I'm not good enough yet to play in a league" as an excuse. Do people only enter a marathon/bowling league/softball league if they think they can win?? No.

i’m going to second the use of:
    https://league.papa.org/

And to address your concern, it moves people up and down among skill groupings week-to-week so as to pair players of similar skill with each other.

This league system was built by the Free State Pinball Association (FSPA) which is in its 25th year of running pinball leagues!! The software is free for other leagues, and was written (and actively supported) by our own Joe Schober (ferret) who does the code for American Pinball (e.g. Octoberfest).

Here's is the players guide for the FSPA league:
    http://fspazone.org/players-guide/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 999.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 180.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 289.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside