Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ejacques
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-01-15-08-22-24-1217450373_(resized).jpg
    20151230_182136_(resized).jpg
    2016-01-15-08-19-08-864436860_(resized).jpg
    20160114_161459_(resized).jpg
    20160114_161504_(resized).jpg
    20160114_161517_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi all,

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. With that in mind, after spending some time at The Sanctum in Meriden, CT and marveling at how well it works, but disliking the fact that it's over an hour away from me....well, myself and a few others in Western Mass are considering starting a similar co-op venture. Today we toured an old mill site (sound familiar?) And came across this location:

20160114_161517_(resized).jpg20160114_161517_(resized).jpg20160114_161459_(resized).jpg20160114_161459_(resized).jpg20160114_161504_(resized).jpg20160114_161504_(resized).jpg

Which has a reasonable lease rate, approximately 1500 Sq feet of space, and the windows/doors you see are balconies over the mill canal.

(The pics go in order, panning from left to right from the main entrance )

Given what you see it the pictures, can Pinside as a collective offer up any advice on these two things:

1.) Thoughts on the space? Initial thought was the have at least 16 games and some space for repair work. My biggest worry with what you see....all the support posts.

2.) Advice on starting a co-op venture in general. Between the people involved, we've picked Mark and Jim's brains from the Sanctum....but if we are to be successful, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks,

Ed

#2 8 years ago

The posts look like they will get in the way for just about anything

#3 8 years ago

One thought was to stagger games a little bit to avoid them.

#4 8 years ago

based on the outlets, you're nearly forced to put the pins against the walls (unless you intend to run a lot of power strips). I'm assuming there are so many poles because it's the basement holding up a lot of floors above it?

#5 8 years ago

If the lease rate is attractive, it doesn't look horrible. Looks like you could get 2-3 machines between a pair of posts, such that the last picture looks like you could get in between 8 and 12 machines. The first shot looks like it could hold another 6 or so. Seating and admin area in the middle or in one of the corners if you have enough machine space to spare one. Use the posts to hang some artwork, cameras, etc. Doesn't look like a bad start to me, and if it truly flies than you expand like The Sanctum did.

#6 8 years ago

Are there outlets on the support posts? It kind of looks like it in the picture but it's hard to tell. If they are outlets, that could be useful.

I'd suggest putting together a floor plan with the posts and see if you could get everything to fit.

--Luke

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

based on the outlets, you're nearly forced to put the pins against the walls (unless you intend to run a lot of power strips). I'm assuming there are so many poles because it's the basement holding up a lot of floors above it?

Run cables so that they go to the roof and an outlet can then hang down of an arm. That's what we've got in all of the operating theatres I run.
    That way there are no cables on the ground to trip over, plus they can be located exactly where you want. No need to have all machines backed up to a wall, they could be back to back in open space.

#8 8 years ago

There are outlets on the posts.

#9 8 years ago

Wow,i see a whole other use for those poles!You could really fix that place up nice!You could have separate space for pins that are alike,hang colored parachutes from the top for that nostalgic look,hang large old movie posters between areas to make avenues of pins,my mind goes crazy with possibilities! good luck!peace!

#10 8 years ago

Name it "pins n spins"
    Half pinball co-op...half strip club
    20151230_182136_(resized).jpg20151230_182136_(resized).jpg

2016-01-15-08-22-24-1217450373_(resized).jpg2016-01-15-08-22-24-1217450373_(resized).jpg

Slogan: just put a quarter in the slot...

#11 8 years ago

Haha...I love it! Probably on the grey side of legal but its hilarious!

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Name it "pins n spins"
    Half pinball co-op...half strip club
    20151230_182136_(resized).jpg
    2016-01-15-08-22-24-1217450373_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

You can take the posts out, but you would need an I-beam to replace them.

New bars always open with 2 or more posts in front of the stage.

After a few years, someone tells the owner that they can can put in an I-beam and make the place not look like the basement it is....

#13 8 years ago

Are there restrooms in the basement, or do you have to go to an upper level?

#14 8 years ago

My personal opinion from what we've gone through at The Sanctum those columns would quickly become a pain in the ass. I bet you could get games set up around them in a reasonable manner but when it comes time to move that back game out its going to be an annoying chore and trust me things will move all the time

When we first found our unit I downloaded a free CAD program. Made a block about 32"x60" for each machine and played with layouts. Go back and measure the columns and perimeter and play around. See if you can make a decent layout. If you make and alley of games is suggest a minimum of 8' from coin door to coin door. Allows a person with a reasonable stance on each game and room for 1 person to walk between them.

Good luck and feel free to come by and pick our brains anytime.

-Jim

#15 8 years ago

I think Jim is putting it mildly by saying those posts will be a pain in the ass. I hate posts. So much so that when we built this house, I spent NIB money on a steel I-beam that spans the length and completely freed up the gameroom. Absolutely worth every penny and I still consider it the best pin mod I've installed!

My suggestion would be to keep looking for a better space, as you'll probably come to despise those posts as well!

If you're looking for a decent floor planning software check out floorplanner.com. It's pretty easy to learn, free, and has pre-modeled pinball objects ready to drag and drop.

Sealclubber's post has a image of what you can do with it:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crown-molding-lights#post-2554972

#16 8 years ago

Restrooms on the same floor.

Quoted from vid1900:

Are there restrooms in the basement, or do you have to go to an upper level?

#17 8 years ago

Thanks Jim. I was planning on trying to do a CAD layout after seeing all the posts. It really is a lot of wasted space.

Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

My personal opinion from what we've gone through at The Sanctum those columns would quickly become a pain in the ass. I bet you could get games set up around them in a reasonable manner but when it comes time to move that back game out its going to be an annoying chore and trust me things will move all the time
    When we first found our unit I downloaded a free CAD program. Made a block about 32"x60" for each machine and played with layouts. Go back and measure the columns and perimeter and play around. See if you can make a decent layout. If you make and alley of games is suggest a minimum of 8' from coin door to coin door. Allows a person with a reasonable stance on each game and room for 1 person to walk between them.
    Good luck and feel free to come by and pick our brains anytime.
    -Jim

1 week later
    #18 8 years ago

A bump for any more advice out there....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starting-a-pinball-co-op-seeking-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.