WP_000109.jpg
WP_000105.jpg
WP_000104.jpg
arrow.jpg
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
#1 11 years ago

...and man is this thing dirty! It's a Diamond Plate and I picked it up from fellow pinsider bellbrand. There's some insert chipping that I'll need to repair but otherwise, no real playfield damage to speak of and in pretty good nick. If anyone has a top left (jackpot shot ramp) for sale, I'm in the market.

IMG_1199.JPGIMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPGIMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPGIMG_1201.JPG

#2 11 years ago

This is an odd game. Love the theme, such an interesting playfield design, and yet it's like the budget for this project got cut at the last minute and half the gameplay had to be removed. The lack of the upper slingshot really affects the flow, as does the removal of the subway. Because of the odd placement of the pop bumpers, getting a clear shot at the upper right ramp rarely comes along...if the upper slingshot where there it would direct more balls to the flipper to be able to hit the shot. Also the randomness of the mega millions jackpot is...maddening.

When you're putting your back together, I've found that you have to switch a few of the rubber post sizes down a few notches in order to get the opening plunger shot to work right

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the plunger shot. This one was launching it straight into the stand-up targets at best so that's definitely something I'll have to address.

As for the upper flipper shot, you have to shoot it up the right orbit in front of the upper right flipper to get it there but I don't find it difficult to do so. Getting it up the ramp after that is more difficult of course, but I can hit it every few times. I'm not familiar with the game features that were ultimately left out. Is there a site/page somewhere that describes it? Honestly, I quite like the gameplay as it is. There are some shots that reward careful and methodical play and others that require shooting on the fly, so there's a good mix of skills needed for success.

Also worth noting, Radical was in the A bank for PAPA qualifying this year and they had a ROM version that awarded a fixed value for the jackpot. I'd like to see if I couldn't get that for this game at some point. In the little I've played it since I got it, I've hit it for as much as 12 and as little as 4—definitely ridiculous.

#4 11 years ago

Yeah the problem with the plunger shot hitting the target is that not only is it very jarring but the constant hits will make the target start to get stuck and stay activated. You should be able to play around with the post rubbers so the ball goes up the ramp from the plunger shot 95/100 times. Definitely makes the experience much better.

If you check out the Radical page on ipdb.org you can see in the flyer there is a vertical upkicker in the top left that kicks the ball out onto the ramp towards the main diverter. The upper snake run target was originally a subway hole that went to this upkicker - there are pictures on the ipdb page of the subway and the upkicker, etc.

Didn't know about that ROM...sounds like it would come in handy!

#5 11 years ago

I added in the upper kicker. Lots of people have done it. As for the random jackpot. It's not that random, more like last jackpot value - 1M. You should be able to play it long enough to get more jackpots that way it averages out...

#6 11 years ago

Are the parts to add the upper kicker readily available? I guess the wire form would be the hardest part to sort out.

#7 11 years ago

Ahhhhh Radical...Popped my cherry on a radical restore! Good times,Good times

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

I added in the upper kicker. Lots of people have done it. As for the random jackpot. It's not that random, more like last jackpot value - 1M. You should be able to play it long enough to get more jackpots that way it averages out...

Did you add the VUK or the sling kicker? Im confused. Can you show pictures with an explanation?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Did you add the VUK or the sling kicker? Im confused. Can you show pictures with an explanation?

Never mind, on the reread I now understand (the upper sling kicker)

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from jay:

...and man is this thing dirty! It's a Diamond Plate and I picked it up from fellow pinsider bellbrand. There's some insert chipping that I'll need to repair but otherwise, no real playfield damage to speak of and in pretty good nick. If anyone has a top left (jackpot shot ramp) for sale, I'm in the market.

whooaaa...you aren't kidding

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

would like to hear more about this as well...

2 weeks later
#12 11 years ago
Quoted from ButtonMash:

would like to hear more about this as well...

I was just about to start a thread about fun things people have done with Radical! machines. I ALSO got a radical from pinsider Bellbrand (she had 2.) Mine was more of a project but it's working now and should clean up nicely. I was thinking that I wanted to put a little skateboard tailsliding on the ramp where it says "tailslide," but I'm also trying to do some more interesting things like potentially this upkicker... has anyone put black light LEDs in their machine? Or have pics of one like this? I think it would look really good with a couple of black lights. I also got some skateboard wheels that match the machine nicely. I want to put one of them on the end of the plunger instead of a traditional ball. Any suggestions on what the best way to do this would be? Thanks in advance!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

I also got some skateboard wheels that match the machine nicely. I want to put one of them on the end of the plunger instead of a traditional ball.

That would be a really cool mod, wish I could help more with advice on how to do it, but you should definitely figure that out and post pics when you do.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

I was just about to start a thread about fun things people have done with Radical! machines. I ALSO got a radical from pinsider Bellbrand (she had 2.) Mine was more of a project but it's working now and should clean up nicely. I was thinking that I wanted to put a little skateboard tailsliding on the ramp where it says "tailslide," but I'm also trying to do some more interesting things like potentially this upkicker... has anyone put black light LEDs in their machine? Or have pics of one like this? I think it would look really good with a couple of black lights. I also got some skateboard wheels that match the machine nicely. I want to put one of them on the end of the plunger instead of a traditional ball. Any suggestions on what the best way to do this would be? Thanks in advance!

Yeah I've been thinking about LED's for Radical so it draws a little more attention...I've actually been meaning to dip my toe in the LED world as I've yet to use any for my pins.

And if there's a way to mod in a subway, upkicker, and upper slingshot, I'd be all ears

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

That would be a really cool mod, wish I could help more with advice on how to do it, but you should definitely figure that out and post pics when you do.

Yeah. I guess the ball on the pull ends of plungers are spot welded (so people don't walk off with them?) Is there anywhere I can buy a blank one with nothing on the end? I thought I could maybe just thread a nut on it to hold the wheel.

#16 11 years ago

Well, i learned alot from this post
I have a HUO Radical i picked up a few months ago
I noticed the error and the missing slingshot and i just thought
the previous owner removed them.

I might have to add the slingshot now.

i am considering led lights but just for GI and backglass

bill

#17 11 years ago

Good luck on the project!!! Keep us posted!

#18 11 years ago

Don't know on the upkicker and I don't think it'd add to the game but I'll try and find or write instructions for the upper sling. IIRC you add the standard bits (the playfield is cut for this already)and wire the fire side of the coil through the bottom right unused (41?) TIP on the board back to the switches. It works but there is a danger of the switch sticking and the coil burning out.

#19 11 years ago

So just to be extra clear, you added the part that I am pointing to here? And you say the ball enters it from the upper slingshot? Can you explain? I'm unfamiliar with this term. (Sorry for my noob status.) I'm unclear also how there can already be a hole here without the ball falling through. Just when I thought I understood, I got more confused.

arrow.jpgarrow.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Oh! There's a light there on the non-proto. I'm starting to get it... I replace that(?) I guess more instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks Epotech!

#21 11 years ago

No, it's another slingshot (like in the triangle in front of the flippers). It fits under that plastic by the tailslider whirlpool. Nothing to do with the snake or that wireform. As far as I know, no one has added that and the entry to the snake is too tight to make a decent shot. I think this is why it was removed.

#22 11 years ago

interesting! So I was further off than I realized. If you can find some instructions or maybe post a pic of the mod on your machine, I would be really interested to see.

Thanks, epotech!

Any other Radical! mod'ers (or rockers) out there?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

So just to be extra clear, you added the part that I am pointing to here? And you say the ball enters it from the upper slingshot? Can you explain? I'm unfamiliar with this term. (Sorry for my noob status.) I'm unclear also how there can already be a hole here without the ball falling through. Just when I thought I understood, I got more confused.

The ball was supposed to get to the upkicker from the upper snake pit, which was originally a hole to a subway and is now just a target. The slingshot is a separate part that was taken out for unknown reasons...maybe it played off the lowest pop bumper too much?

#24 11 years ago

Ok. ok, I think I understand now. Epotech wrote me a msg. explaining a little more. Can anyone provide pics of what it looks like once this mod is done?

#25 11 years ago

Buttonmash, where in LA are you? I'm near Echo Park/ MacArthur Park area.

#26 11 years ago

bump for a pic of this upper kicker mod.

#27 11 years ago

what you'll need.

System 11 or wpc slingshot assembly
2 slingshot leaf switches

the playfield is already cut to fit the hardware, fit the 2 switches through the holes and wire both together take a look at a lower slingshot as this is going to be all the same...
fit the arm through the slot and attach to the playfield underside.next fit the bracket with the coil, slip the plunger into the coil and determine where to affix the mech by rotating it until you can sit it on the underside.

so everything's in position, we need power to the coil. Solder a wire (thick, same gauge as a coil wire) to the coil lug. there's no diode so look at an existing coil to see which side it fits (yes, it does matter!).run the other end to one of the bumper coils and solder it to the same side lug.

next we need to add in the switches so that it fires when the rubber is hit. wire a wire to each lug of the nearest leaf switch you've added and run these up to the backbox.

remove the power driver board and flip it over. wire one wire to the centre leg of Q14 and the other to the right hand leg.

Next, add a wire to 1J12 pin 8 and run this back under the playfield to the remaining lug on the coil.

That's it, you're done!

NOW READ THIS!!!!!
This is not cpu controlled, if the switches stick closed you will burn out the coil! Add an inline fuse probably, I never did and have not had a problem, it's been used loads.

This mod doesn't add points, it increases the action by the bumpers so you inderectly do score more.

WP_000104.jpgWP_000104.jpg WP_000105.jpgWP_000105.jpg WP_000109.jpgWP_000109.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Thanks man! That Is awesome!!! I was confused but totally get it now!

1 week later
#29 11 years ago

I just finished my Radical. LED's make this a wild light show. Diamond Plated seem pretty common on this machine. Radical Dude!

#30 11 years ago

Post pics of yours. I'm curious to see more of em. Mine is still a bit of a mess but it's coming along.

#31 11 years ago

I'll take some tomorrow and post cpr you. It turned put real nice.

#32 11 years ago

Cool! I'm still working on mine. Gave it some wax and now I can hit that back ramp. Man that is a hard shot(!)

#33 11 years ago

Here's a few. Let me know if ya want any specific pics. Also does yours have a pieve from bad cats on the inside?

IMAG0515.jpgIMAG0515.jpg IMAG0516.jpgIMAG0516.jpg IMAG0517.jpgIMAG0517.jpg

#34 11 years ago

Looks good man! That top right ramp is a hard shot, huh? The snake run too...

#35 11 years ago

Top ramp has took some time to learn but you'll get it. The snake run is spanked. Gotta catch the ball to really be able to hit it. This is one fun game... I think ill go play...

#36 11 years ago

Oh yeah do you have a bad cats piece in the coin drawer? I have heard from one other owner who does

3 months later
#37 11 years ago

Did you remove a mylar. Mylar on my radica pinball is realy worn out, so i think to put whole plafield in a mylar http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT .

1 year later
#38 9 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

what you'll need.
System 11 or wpc slingshot assembly
2 slingshot leaf switches
the playfield is already cut to fit the hardware, fit the 2 switches through the holes and wire both together take a look at a lower slingshot as this is going to be all the same...
fit the arm through the slot and attach to the playfield underside.next fit the bracket with the coil, slip the plunger into the coil and determine where to affix the mech by rotating it until you can sit it on the underside.
so everything's in position, we need power to the coil. Solder a wire (thick, same gauge as a coil wire) to the coil lug. there's no diode so look at an existing coil to see which side it fits (yes, it does matter!).run the other end to one of the bumper coils and solder it to the same side lug.
next we need to add in the switches so that it fires when the rubber is hit. wire a wire to each lug of the nearest leaf switch you've added and run these up to the backbox.
remove the power driver board and flip it over. wire one wire to the centre leg of Q14 and the other to the right hand leg.
Next, add a wire to 1J12 pin 8 and run this back under the playfield to the remaining lug on the coil.
That's it, you're done!
NOW READ THIS!!!!!
This is not cpu controlled, if the switches stick closed you will burn out the coil! Add an inline fuse probably, I never did and have not had a problem, it's been used loads.
This mod doesn't add points, it increases the action by the bumpers so you inderectly do score more.

WP_000104.jpg 267 KB

WP_000105.jpg 221 KB

WP_000109.jpg 160 KB

Did this to a 'T today, the coil just locks on, the switches were not activated... Any help???

#39 9 years ago

Nevermind I got it, a wire was switched around in the process, works good

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/started-my-radical-project-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.