(Topic ID: 179942)

Start up problem - Grand Prix

By uncle_jose

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncle_jose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello to all!

I have an odd problem with my (Williams) Grand Prix.

The machine was working fine, turned it off for the day, next day went back to turn it on and I was not able to start a game, everything is lit (as usual) the machine have plenty of credits on the credit wheel, but nothing happen when I press the "start game" button.

I was able to start a one player game by manually taking off one credit from the credit wheel by manually pushing the coil on the stepper unit; also I was able to start multi-player games depending of the times I manually push the coil. I'm able to add credits without problem (and as usual) at the coin door by triggering the coins switches.

Any ideas on where to start? It's just odd that -out of the blue- this issue happened... well, it's a +40 y/o EM.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

do you have the schematic? would guess, if no subtract credit is taking place when play game button is pressed, but manually reducing credits on credit unit will start game, then I would look at the switches on the credit unit, and make sure they all work as needed.
also, look at the coin relays, start relay, game over relay, tilt relay, motor switches, for starters

Thanks for your reply! I'll take a deeper look at the diagram and follow the path of the "start button", but still tricky for me.

I will take at the credit unit, they seemed fine, this machine used to be on "free play" so I readjusted the leafs based on this URL:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

Obviously I did it backwards.

Thanks!

~ja

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Did you check the contacts on the start button?

Yes, these are clean, along with its cables.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Looked at the schematic for you- check the credit unit zero break switch.
The credit unit seems likely-

Dr_of_Style & Rufessor, you guys nailed it! Thanks...!

The issue was at the credit switch, the top leaf/switch was barely close, not enough to make a "strong" contact and make the "start button" functional, a quick clean and adjustment to the switch and voila! I was able to rip the spinners again!

Thanks much guys! Case closed!

~ja

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncle_jose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/start-up-problem-grand-prix?tu=uncle_jose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.