Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cabinet Button (resized).jpg
    ascii_art.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi All
    Have a CV and want to replace the bulb inside the start switch. Do not know how to take apart so I thought I would ask. Anyone out there know how to do this so I don’t frick it all up?

Thank you

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Just give a tug on the switch housing, it'll come out; just watch out for the spring...

Here's what it looks like disassembled:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 3 years ago

Well I removed it and replaced the bulb but I cannot get it back together. It is not close enough for the little white tip to depress the actuator on the switch. Comes very close but the switch itself does not actuate. Is there some kind of trick that I am missing?

#4 3 years ago

The little white tab comes just close enough to meet the actuator tab on the switch but it does not depress it

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Is there some kind of trick that I am missing?

Shove it the whole way in harder !

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago

Had an issue getting one of mine in however it was the size of the LED bulb!

#7 3 years ago

Most 555 LEDs have a lip (or rim).

Please excuse my horrible ASCII art.

Cut the outer lip off. I do this with a flush cutter. It is able to reach and produce a somewhat flush cut.

ascii_art.jpgascii_art.jpg
    #9 3 years ago

THANK YOU ALL. The video was very helpful. Was ready to buy a new switch and still might if I can find it. Marco is out of stock. The situation that I am encountering is happening even without a bulb of any type in the socket so I am not sure it is that. I’ll frock around with it some more. Good to know I’m not the only newb having issues!! Thanks again fellas

#11 3 years ago

Thank you Lloyd. Forgot about them. Found it at Cointaker along with some blades. The LED is proving to add to the difficulty but even without it is a b.

the new style switch seems like it is a major improvement and hence that is what I will do. Thank you all yet once again.

#12 3 years ago

That switch will probably work. It's a Stern switch. If you want a Bally/Williams switch then the switch you want is a "-16". Do not confuse with a "-1". The "START" is straight on the "-1". It's slanted (italic) on the "-16".

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-start-button-20-9663-16.html

1 month later
    #13 3 years ago

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but I'm going to say the person that made the video is trying to sell switches.

Do any of you really think that Bally/Williams would have put switch assemblies in 100s of thousands of games for over a decade, all of which were designed to be installed on location if a field service tech couldn't replace the START lamp without having a special tool?

Are they tight fitting? Yes. Are they supposed to be? Yes. Why, because they were designed to work 10's of thousands of times without breaking.

GPS your switch assembly is likely fine, put an incandescent lamp in it and press on.

The image below is the exact same switch assembly from my previous post; the plastic parts were all cleaned with simple green, the metal parts (brass terminals and spring) were put in my parts tumbler, the lamp and paper "START" Label were replaced; the switch was also replaced with a new once since it was original to the machine, had corroded terminals, and the decision was made before restoration began that ALL mechanical switches were being replaced with new ones.

Cabinet Button (resized).jpgCabinet Button (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/start-switch-lamp-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.