• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desertT1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 5 years ago

I got a call that my Hook on location "was taking money". I had recently fixed a coin switch issue that was doing just that because the switch was starting to fail. I don't know why I expected the problem to be back, but that's just the way things felt. Show up, nope. There is a credit on the game and the start button won't start the game. Power cycle. No change. This has (rarely) happened in the past and normally a power cycle resolved it for whatever reason. I go into switch test mode, and the start button works. I press it slowly, rapidly, once, several times in a row. Never skips a beat. Back to game over state with credits on the display (and balls in the trough) and nothing. I don't get it. Helllllllllp!

#2 5 years ago

Batteries or NVRAM installed? Try a factory reset yet?

Easy NVRAM plug and play upgrade for DE/Sega/Stern Whitestar games.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1030-pinitech/00315-6264-nvram-battery-eliminator-for-high-score-save

#3 5 years ago

Does the eject coil function in test mode?

#4 5 years ago

May not be starting if all the ball are not being detected in the trough. Test out the trough switches in the switch edge test 20 time on each switch with a ball. If any are intermittent, adjust or replace.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, I will look at these things.

1 month later
#6 4 years ago

Any luck?

#7 4 years ago

Had same problem on j p factory reset solved it.

#8 4 years ago

I didn’t swap out the trough switches because while I was out of town a group went and played and it was working just fine. Since then, zero issues. Keeping an eye on it for sure though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/start-button-works-in-test-mode-won-t-start-a-game-de-hook and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.