Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by FatPanda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200117_160159 (resized).jpg

#1 10 days ago

I had crossed 2 sets of connectors late last year. For those that aren't familiar with WMS games of this era, there are a set of white and black connectors, and I put a black one with a white one and killed my MPU. I had the board repaired by Jerry Clause (great guy btw) and the game has been running mostly good for the last 2 months. The one thing that happens when starting multiple player games is that every time I press the Start button to add players, it also adds points to Player 1's score. It will do this even after 4 players are added. I couldn't tell you the exact value, and the value seems like a random amount (not always 5K or whatever).

The other issue I sometimes see is that in attract mode or sometimes (more rarely) in the middle of a game, the game will lock up. Everything but the GI shuts off. On the diagnostic LED on the MPU, it shows error code 7. I can press the sound test button on the MPU and it'll make a sound, afterwards I'll press the other diagnostic button, and it'll change to error code 5. Then a quick shut off and back on and the game will boot back into attract mode. This has been happening after the MPU repair.

Thoughts on either issue would be appreciated!

#2 10 days ago

In switch test does the start button work single or multiple switch fires. ?

#3 10 days ago
Quoted from chad:

In switch test does the start button work single or multiple switch fires. ?

I'll have to check. TBH, not familiar with how switch test works in these games. Time to bust out the good ol' manual

#4 9 days ago

When I put it in switch test, it constantly shows that switch 29 and 30 are activating, which I assume shouldn't be the case?

Switch 29 is Ramp 1 and Switch 30 is Ramp 2. I assume those are the lock switches. During a regular game, these switches function properly.

#5 9 days ago

Anything touching on those 2 switches, bent over diode shorting across itself. Wired correctly.

#6 9 days ago
Quoted from chad:

Anything touching on those 2 switches, bent over diode shorting across itself. Wired correctly.

I didn't take off the glass yesterday but will check. If they were constantly triggering, wouldn't i see the impacts during gameplay?

#7 9 days ago

Go into switch test and hold the start button in. Wms switch test will show all closed switches one after the other.

What's the score added that might help you might the error as well.... is it always the same?

Also, ramp 1 and ramp 2 refer to the ball trough.... did you leave the balls in when you did switch test?

#8 9 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Go into switch test and hold the start button in. Wms switch test will show all closed switches one after the other.
What's the score added that might help you might the error as well.... is it always the same?
Also, ramp 1 and ramp 2 refer to the ball trough.... did you leave the balls in when you did switch test?

Ramp 1 and 2 in the trough makes sense, and yes, the balls were in when I started the switch test

So with the balls out, I should expect no closed switches right?

I had started a game and added players, and the drop target bank would behave as though one of the drops were hit, it would time out, then reset whenever I hit the start button. I'll keep that in mind as I'm diagnosing.

#9 9 days ago

Correct no switch closures.

#10 5 days ago

Found the problem! At some point there was a credit button installed (I dont know why since there is free play!) But one of the coin switch wires was wrapped around this bracket and was pinched, causing a short messing up the entire row. The switch test eventually led me to this. Thanks guys!

20200117_160159 (resized).jpg
#11 2 days ago

So going back to the original post, any thoughts on what is causing the MPU to lock up and why I have to go through the little "restart" procedure that I need to go through?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 21.00
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Meriden, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 9.10
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside