You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5136-203 (resized).jpg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hello all

I have a new issue with my Starship Troopers.
A few switches are not working anymore. According to the schematic all switches in column with the GRN-GRY cable ( CN5 connector) are not working anymore.
I checked the continuity from the cable to the first switch. There is a connection so there is no connection problem. I check the connector CN5 on the CPU board. I checked all the connections on the board that leads to that connector. All seem good until I get to the chip U203. There is no continuity on a specific area on the chip. It looks very corroded at that area. There is no continuity between the chip and R241. That's also the column of switches that are not working anymore. I assume there is a problem with this chip. My first try would be to change the chip.

Anyone know where I could buy this chip other than ebay?
If not, I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MM74HCT273N-74HCT-CMOS-74HCT273-74273-FAIRCHILD-Semiconductor-/233276007943?var=0.
Would this be the correct chip?

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_6508 (resized).jpgIMG_6508 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

The trace from R241 to U203 looks damaged at the RED arrow.
I would first try to install a jumper from R241 to U203-19 and test if the switches work again.

Only if you have correct tools and skill, then you can replace U203. Better buy electronic components from a electronic shop.

And check the amplifier U102. Looks like a capacitor has been leaking there at C115

5136-203 (resized).jpg5136-203 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Hi Zaza

Thanks very much for your feedback. I will definitely install a jumper first to see if it works then. I will also check the amplifier.
I’ll write again as soon as I have done this .

#4 2 years ago

That solved the issue! The trace was damaged and with the jumper everything is working again . Thanks so much!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starship-troopers-u203 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.