Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a sst and I must say its very fast and pretty difficult and it will be even faster after I clean it up and adjust everything . It seems to have a layout that im not use to because ive had mostly pat L kind of games and this is a great change up. Looking at it the layout is much like the more popular games like mm, met and stuff like that? I personally love the movie and theme but im guessing thats what holds this game back from being more sought after? Im going to add the missing speaker and upgrade them along with leds and cliffys which will make it much better. I guess im wondering y this title isnt ranked higher especially for 2k because it seems to have good reviews? Or is it just now being discovered and becoming more popular?

#2 3 years ago

It's a good fast game. I love nearly everything about it. It's a keeper for me, for sure.

#3 3 years ago

I like sst very much. However, it's short on "story" and all "modes" (planets) are the same thing with different bugs (standups) to kill. It really helps to like the movie, which I do. Keeper for me too, if I had one.

#4 3 years ago

I picked one up at expo and while I always wanted one, it's even better than I expected it to be.
I added the second speaker/amp and it's hooked up to a polk sub and that really helps the "screechy" bugs not be so obnoxious.
Hard, fast game that won't be leaving anytime soon. THrow LEDs and flashers at it and it's a seizure waiting to happen! LOVE the lightshow.

#5 3 years ago

Apprx one year ago, perhaps a little more, I bought my first pin. Ebay was my market at the time and I remember a couple Starship Troopers that went in the 12-1500 range. I was definitely interested at the time but ended up going in a different direction. That was then and this is now and I'm wishing now that I had picked one up in that VERY affordable price range. Loved the movie, would have been fun to own the pin. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

#6 3 years ago

Unfortunately I stripped it last night so it won't be played for week or so but while what a pain in the butt and because it hasn't been done before I had to cut all the zip ties underneath to pull the wires threw the playfield going to be a pain to put back together but it will be a beauty when done .

#7 3 years ago

Yeah dude! Starship Troopers rocks! There's not many of us, but those that 'get it' really get it.

I was really hoping The Walking Dead would've translated SST's bug killing into zombie blasting. It's my favorite use of stand-up targets in all pinball.

#8 3 years ago

Yea its really fun and fast keep u on your toes way different than my current linevup other than bsd which is just as fast . Sst is pretty rare also and don't come up for sale much so alot of people probably haven't played it also which may be partly y its not more popular

#9 3 years ago

Great game, not sure why I sold mine.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

We all make selling mistakes. Mine was Judge Dredd....

#11 3 years ago

Mine seems to be multiball crazy, is that normal? I have it set to the hardest setting, but get multiball after multiball without really trying hard.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from scollins918:

Mine seems to be multiball crazy, is that normal? I have it set to the hardest setting, but get multiball after multiball without really trying hard.

Might be an opto. Do you get orbit multiball over and over?

#13 3 years ago

not sure, I'll have to check that out tonight.

#14 3 years ago

is there an opto test I can run that you know of?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from scollins918:

is there an opto test I can run that you know of?

Just a switch test. Try to get false triggers on the orbit optos when in the switch test to see if that's your problem....

#16 3 years ago

SST gives out lots of multiball modes
That's normal

#17 3 years ago

i had a similar error due to a switch matrix transistor

#18 3 years ago

I played 30 or so games before the teardown and I didn't get mb that often and everything worked well on mine maybe I just suck or you have a opto or switch issue ?

#19 3 years ago

Ah, I had a great deal lined up on a mint one in 2011...I let it slip by due to shipping costs.

#20 3 years ago

service guarantees citizenship. next time you'll know

#21 3 years ago

Some of the best music in pinball too. The game really covers the overall essence of the movie in the in your face over the top cult film'ish style of it.

Man, now I'm wanting mine back...

#22 3 years ago

Yea its very underrated in my opinion and apparently many others. Cant wait to get my parts in and get to killing bugs

#23 3 years ago

Would pick one up at the right price for sure. Fun and unique game.

#24 3 years ago

I am on my third one

Regretted selling it everytime, but got a better unit with each new one. The one I have now is a keeper. Plus, I now have the other 5 Sega Showcase games next to it!

#25 3 years ago

I'm enjoying mine a lot. I think this one is definitely a keeper for me.

#26 3 years ago

Hate to say it but this gameplay video kinda ruined the game's appeal to me.

#27 3 years ago

I believe Lyman was the programmer on SST.

One of the best Sega games for sure.

#28 3 years ago

When I owned SST, I added pinblades artwork which made the play field look 3D. I added an LED under the ship above the right ramp which provided much needed light there. Replace the stock speakers with 4" woofers to eliminate the screechy bug sounds and replace the cabinet woofer with a powered sub. Then use an l-pad so you can better adjust the volume.

Fast and fun game with great multi balls. But ultimately I sold it for $2200 and used $1000 of that to buy a No Fear.

Check out the SST club threads for all the pics.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I believe Lyman was the programmer on SST.
One of the best Sega games for sure.

Nope. And pretty sure Lyman never even worked for Sega Pinball.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I heard he did the programming for Maverick, but that is between a DE and Sega.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

» YouTube video

Why?

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

lol, was thinking the same.

#33 3 years ago

Because not many games are lifetime keepers. Fun to play one and then move on and try something else.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

» YouTube video

The table has an intermittent switch failure somewhere in the channels under the table. He's scoring RECON bonuses from behind the drop hole (near the pops) when it should never trigger from behind. He scored 25M at 7 minutes in by getting RECON 6 from behind, rather than from the front. Still played the table well.

It's super fast and super fun. I think the speed of gameplay probably turns some people off as well as the limited planet modes.

#35 3 years ago

The rules aren't super deep but I dont see me beating it anytime soon u really need sniper accuracy on this game . There are plenty of other things to do tho instead of killing bugs overall all a good game with flow and speed. Really well integrated theme which well ... I love the movie so that really helps in my case

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

» YouTube video

Yea something is wrong with that games scoop it shouldn't award recon from the back it must have a flaky switch. The scoop shot is tight so definitely made it much easier awarding it from the pops

#37 3 years ago

I was sooo close to buying one

Things didn't work out & in a way that's ok because that damn squealing pig sound wears me the F out

Somehow I still want one tho lol

Oh pinball

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I am 100% positive Lyman worked there but I may be confusing SST with ID4, which I'm confident he did work on.

#39 3 years ago

All these posts have given me some extra motivation. Really excited to get mine working and playing it for the first time!

#40 3 years ago

Good game, but I always hated that third lower flipper.

#41 3 years ago

Damn.....bigD scooped one up here in MD before I could....congrats dude!! I think it's a great SEGA pin and will definitely add one to my collection in the near future.

#42 3 years ago

Can come play mine, I am right down the street

#43 3 years ago

My SST is a nice and fast fan layout. love the call outs on it.

#44 3 years ago

I just took advantage of adafruit's Black Friday sale to order another Pi and a 4" LCD to do a mod for my SST.

Gonna replace the live fire assault range sign with the LCD and some interactive graphics.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I just took advantage of adafruit's Black Friday sale to order another Pi and a 4" LCD to do a mod for my SST.
Gonna replace the live fire assault range sign with the LCD and some interactive graphics.

Cant wait to see that

#46 3 years ago

Wolf, please make more than one

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

Wolf, please make more than one

Wait until we see how it turns out, it may be terrible.

If nothing else, I'll at least post all the instructions.

1 week later
#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wait until we see how it turns out, it may be terrible.
If nothing else, I'll at least post all the instructions.

It would be cool to add all the "Want to know more?" propaganda videos from the movie to the LCD.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from HEEELEY:

It would be cool to add all the "Want to know more?" propaganda videos from the movie to the LCD.

Totally going to do it.

This weekend I have a couple pinball projects on the schedule, and one is the graphics for this mod. I'll probably start a new thread on it and try to get some suggestions on the behaviors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Playfield - Protection
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 119.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
$ 27.99
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 189.99
£ 20.00
$ 149.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside