(Topic ID: 83524)

Starship Troopers - Price Check and What to Look for?

By winteriscoming

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm maybe interested in getting a SST. I'm in touch with someone selling one for about $2k.

What do these generally go for? It looks like in some recent for sale threads I'm seeing them listed for around $2k and under.

I haven't ever sold a pin yet, so I continue to look at this as a hobby with the potential of maybe breaking even (when not considering hours and money put into maintenance) if I sell one, but probably will end up selling at a loss. I am looking to avoid overpaying, though.

What are some things to look for on a SST?

Thanks,
Jim

#2 10 years ago

Sink and kick out hole damage.
Wear around the magnets up top.
The Warrior bug moves in and out easily and quietly.
The Brain bug is fully functional.
The optos on the orbits are functioning.

I paid 1500 for mine, and I've seen super nice ones go for 2200.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Sink and kick out hole damage.
Wear around the magnets up top.
The Warrior bug moves in and out easily and quietly.
The Brain bug is fully functional.
The optos on the orbits are functioning.
I paid 1500 for mine, and I've seen super nice ones go for 2200.

Are there diagnostics for the brain and warrior bugs?

#4 10 years ago

My friend sold his this past summer for $1800. Like all pins you see them with all kinds of outrageous price tags. Saw one today on Craigslist the guy wants $2995 which is way too high IMO.

#5 10 years ago

1400 fully working but rough cosmetics to 2400 for super nice.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Are there diagnostics for the brain and warrior bugs?

Yep.

#7 10 years ago

$1,500 is a fair price..

#8 10 years ago

I just paid $1800 for mine. Has the second speaker upgrade, some LEDS, replaced some DMDs that were out, outside looks good as well. Should get it in about a week or two and I couldn't be more excited. "I'm from Buenos Aires and I say Kill em all"!!!

#9 10 years ago

"Paid" $500 for mine...traded a mame machine I bought for $500 for it. Fun game! My wife and I play it nearly every night. Run the diagnostic tests and you should be fine. There are cliffys for it, so if there is hole wear it can be covered up.

Would be great if it already had LEDs in it because removing all the plastics and the huge ramp assembly is a hassle to reach all the upper GI bulbs.

#10 10 years ago

Expect to pay a decent amount for it UNLESS you are willing to wait. There are not that many out there it seems.

I wouldn't personally pay more than $1500, but if you need it NOW, $1800 is probably okay.

And, for the record, I have one. Paid far less than the $1500 within the last year for it, but it's also a pretty extreme project. Spent more than 40 hours shopping it, mostly to clean the TON of grease someone slathered all over the flipper mechs off. I still need to do some board work on it too.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We'll see how it goes.

#12 10 years ago

Well the deal fell through. It was a couple hours away, so I asked a lot of questions, got a lot of pictures and negotiated a price pending that it was in the stated condition when I went to pick it up. It all seemed like it was a done deal and he said he wouldn't be available for me to pick it up until the weekend. Then yesterday I tried making arrangements for the time I could pick it up and the guy tells me his wife doesn't want to sell it.

Oh well, I didn't get my hopes up too high, figuring something like that would happen, but it still sucks.

#13 10 years ago

Dang man. Sorry to hear it. There's one here FS in MI....

#15 10 years ago

No way I can travel that far at this time. Anyway, the trip alone would add a couple hundred more to the game in fuel costs.

Just to add a bit more salt to the wound... I was trying to confirm that the SST deal had fallen through before committing on a semi-local Goldeneye that was going to be cheaper but needed a bit of work. By the time I got back to the Goldeneye guy, it was sold!

I was hoping to get a Sega with a Whitestar so I can take it over with my P-ROC, and the Segas are a lot cheaper than anything with a WPC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starship-troopers-price-check-and-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.