(Topic ID: 189257)

Starship Troopers opto issue / I would like to know more!

By DrDrain

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DrDrain
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've got a great Starship Troopers but I have some issues with it. Some are not properly registering switches and some other minor issues. But this one I don't understand:
The opto in the right lane isn't working. I took a look under the playfield and I noticed that the "emitter board's" LED is lit and it is pointed straight at the "receiver board".
I also noticed that the red LED on the "receiver board" is lit. However on the left side it isn't and the opto is working just as it should do.

I believe my "receiver board" is broken.
What do you think, is there some chip or something like that on this board I'll have to replace, or is it an entirely different cause?
Is there any fix to it or would you advise me to get a new one?
I would like to know more!

Thanks in advance. I am grateful for any suggestion you make.

#3 6 years ago

It is a special opto, which I believe they just used for some of their games. If there is no other fix to it, I'll have to replace it. But it seems to work though, but not correctly. Because of the lit LED, you know?
And it isn't cheap replacing it as you can see:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5083-01

Maybe somebody understands what exactly is broken on my board, so I maybe just have to replace a tiny diode or something else instead of a whole board.

But thanks for your advice though

I still would like to know more!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from DrDrain:

It is a special opto, which I believe they just used for some of their games. If there is no other fix to it, I'll have to replace it. But it seems to work though, but not correctly. Because of the lit LED, you know?
And it isn't cheap replacing it as you can see:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5083-01
Maybe somebody understands what exactly is broken on my board, so I maybe just have to replace a tiny diode or something else instead of a whole board.
But thanks for your advice though
I still would like to know more!

I had a weird opto register issue on my stern star trek. Everything looked like it was fine but occasionally the opto would fire with the press of the flipper button. They registered fine in test and in normal play besides the random fire from the flipper. Lights worked, etc. Only thing that fixed it was replacing it. Optos can be weird. Hopefully you can get it figured out!

#5 6 years ago

I feel like optos are always a problem on these games.

I had an opto issue on my AFM once, which caused the whole game to act crazy!
Luckily that is over!

Now comes my new project, Starship Troopers!

CPU Board currently is in repair, so I can't test the game anymore. It should be back in the game around next week.
Then I am going to take a look at that problem again.
Maybe it was an issue with that board, who knows?

Thanks for your participation

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starship-troopers-opto-issue-i-would-like-to-know-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.