• Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200616_211213 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Some folks were talking about adding digital sounds to an early SS machine, so I gave it a try with my newest revision of Stars2020. If you're not familiar, this project updated the rules of Stars (1978) by adding an Arduino Nano to J5 of the Stern MPU100. The goals of that project were:
1) Deeper game play (3-levels of stars, wizard mode).
2) Modern features (ball save, tilt warnings, free play, etc.).
3) Cheap (I worked to keep the hardware costs under $20).
4) Leave the original hardware intact (newest revision allows for dual boot - old & new).

With those accomplished (documented here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-new-code-for-stern-stars-1978), I expanded the scope a little and spent $44 on a WAV Trigger board. The WAV trigger is plugged into a serial line on the Nano and it drives an old set of speakers I had lying around.
Here's a video I made of the result:

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Fantastic! I love it!

Shoot, I was supposed to drive a circuit board down to you. It must have slipped my mind.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

Incredible!!
What wav trigger did you use and where can we download those audio files.. so perfect!!!!

WAV Trigger is here:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

Code, build instructions, and manual here:
https://github.com/MrEkted/BallySternOS

Wav zip is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rbLA-aZqXULq8KrAlTwHowQ2WFO9VbFQ/view?usp=sharing

Added over 3 years ago:

Edit: the zip of wav files has moved here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/10W-ejHtfAnJoimFzfkmMeYZWIZv4Plgj/view?usp=sharing

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from CousinPookie:

Oh yeah... Now to put it all back together.
[quoted image]

Wow - cool. I just checked in code that I've been tweaking today. If you have the capability, you might want to re-flash your WAV Trigger up to 1.30b if it's not already that or greater:
https://robertsonics.com/wav-trigger-downloads/

I don't have a way to flash mine right now, or I would. Version 1.3 adds the ability to "lock" a looping voice (like the background music). I noticed that if you rip the spinner, it plays enough sounds to stop the background music. So, in my latest check-in spinner sounds (and bumpers, 10-pts, rollovers), will stop previous instances of themselves before starting a new one. It works, but it sounds better stacked so I'll put in a compiler switch when I get the latest WAV Trigger firmware loaded here.

Let me know if you have 1.3 or greater, and I'll put up a version for you to test that takes advantage of that capability.

If you get a chance, post a video when you get the sounds up and running.

#15 3 years ago

dickhamill: I'll try to update the firmware now. I've added the Wavtrigger library in the IDE, but I don't see the Wavtrigger.h file in your .zip from Github.
Thanks
ETA: The sketch won't compile because it's trying to use AltSoftSerial. I'll be using the hardware port.

Yeah - you have to track down the wavTrigger.h where it's installed. There are instructions somewhere on that site, but I'm not seeing them at the moment. I believe that by default, you should find the library installed in:
Documents > Arduino > Libraries > WAV-Trigger-Arduino-Serial-Library-master

Then if you update that wavTrigger.h, it shouldn't need the AltSoftSerial.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Why do you have to re-compile to change between chimes and wave sound? Why don’t you just have a switch that turns the power off to the chimes and the power on to the wave board? Since you’re coming off the serial port on the nano that can stay connected all the time. That is if the wave board is powered off who cares if you’re sending stuff out the serial port?

Two reasons:
1) I don't want a dependency on the WAV Trigger library for people who don't intend to use it. It can be a pain to install & configure that library and if you don't have the hardware, there's no reason to go through that dependency.

2) Size is an issue. Compiled for both Chimes & WAV Trigger, the code is now 97% capacity. That really limits future changes to the underlying OS & bug-fixes, etc. I've recently pushed an update where WAV Trigger and Chimes can be compiled as either or both, so if someone wants the option it's there. On a machine with both enabled, the Music Level setting goes from 0-5.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Personally i'm sticking with the chimes. but the music idea is pretty cool. to me a real improvement would be VOICE. making the game talk would be pretty awesome...

I'm down with that idea (voice) -- a friend said the same thing the second he heard it.
I just need to find someone who sounds good & has a decent microphone and everything.
I know a couple of v/o people. I'll ask around.

#23 3 years ago

I did have to modify the StarLevelUp file by dropping the gain by 11 db to normalize it a bit.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Glad you got it working. If you end up tweaking any of the other sounds, let me know.

#25 3 years ago

dickhamill: I've got the Wav Trigger flashed to the 1.30b firmware. I'm excited to see what you've got! I also knocked the bonus2k down about 10 db for normalization.

Excellent, I managed to get mine flashed also. I put it up on GitHub. Grab the latest and uncomment this line in Stars2020.ino:
#define USE_WAV_TRIGGER_1p3

It's a subtle change. With the new firmware, I can tell the WAV Trigger to keep the background music playing while using the other channels for the sound effects. That way I don't have to worry about a bunch of spinner sounds clobbering the background music. You'll hear the sound effects mix together more clearly with this update.

1 week later
#28 3 years ago

YouTube doesn't want to let me upload this video, but Vimeo seems to work for now.
https://vimeo.com/433216470
I took the liberty of changing the music and a few sounds. I think I like your spinner sound better, I'm still working on this one. I made it in Ableton Live, but I haven't gotten it quite right yet. I took the pop bumper and rollover sounds from Johnny Mnemonic.
Enjoy!

That's awesome. As dothedoo asked, what's behind the glass? Looks like a spiraling RGB LED light show?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 199.95
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-side-project-digital-sound?tu=dickhamill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.